Dustin Keller, our new TE- Welcome to New York

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by notjustQBs, Apr 26, 2008.

1. Khan

Khan Active Member

How do you know he's not going to be an asset? None of us have a clue what they have planned...but there's obviously something if they were willing to trade up for this guy.

2. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Last time I checked Jolley was a long-snapper with Tampa Bay, the team with the head coach who originally drafted him. The guy just sucks.

3. Beamen

Beamen New Member

Baker, Franks Kowalewski, Pociask. Franks is a proven vet, and the other 3 have all seen decent time at the TE or H-Back positions

4. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Abyz is dead on. We have a red zone threat now. Baker looks great on paper, but Ellis and Kris are right. He should get open more often if he were as good as we think. Solid starter, upgradeable.

5. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Those were TE prototypes fom the old school. We are in the era of Witten, Colston and Dallas Clark now: TEs are WRs. Baker is a player in a box, without the speed to be a hybrid. We adapt with the times and copy what other teams do to be successful.

6. Benny the Jet

Benny the Jet Active Member

i love this pick and i also think we are getting back into the third round by trading chris baker to the saints. i just have a feeling. the shockey thing fell apart because the couldn't agree on comp, but i think the saints would happily give up a 3rd for baker (and def a fourth at the very worst). they want a TE in the worst way

7. Beamen

Beamen New Member

I said when it comes to run-blocking. That's the knock on him. Can't block, and doesn't have the frame to add weight and improve, without hurting his speed....

8. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

yeah the same way Dallas Clark is a liability...

9. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I know what you mean, and it bothers me too. I don't think they will be using this guy in quite the same way, but we have to wait to find out.

10. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Pinning all our hopes with our WR depth on a 7th round WR that was out last year by injury isn't comforting especially when our top 2 WRs has already shown that they could be dinged up in a season, an injury to either of those two and our offensive attack is screwed. We don't have Baker and Franks is aging, and while our oline is improving it is too quick to say that all our worries are over with the oline. At least if the Jets have shown once that they know what to do with a TE, i'd like the pick more. However, they never have so I can't expect that.

11. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

I'm mad at the pick too. The JETS for a second time fall in love with a workout warrior like Robertson but a TE no less. The JETS have shown us that for forever that they do not know how to utilize a TE properly. I know Schott's had Gates in SD and Keller is in that same mold of a pure receiving TE and hopefully the JETS use him properly in the slot which I can see them doing. I'm not happy with the pick because of who else was on the board but hopefully I hope the JETS know what they have and what they are going to do with Dustin Keller in the offense.

12. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

our offense isn't the Colts offense

13. Benny the Jet

Benny the Jet Active Member

and by the way, everyone who is saying that they would have waited (my initial thought as well) there is no guarantee that he would have been there. with the giants looking to possibly unload shockey and the saints looking to trade up to get a tight end, there's a very good chance he may not have even been there. again, i love the pick! this kid is going to be a beast. if our staff has shown us anything, it's been that they are excellent evaluators of talent.

14. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

I think that the Dallas Clark analogy is what we should zero in on.

This guy, Keller, is not a blocker, he's a bulked up wide receiver.

We will use him like a Dallas Clark, and he will take a world of pressure off our WRs down the seams, across the middle and in the flat cleared out by the streaking WR.

He is faster than any linebacker and most safeties.

He catches everything thrown to him.

I think the prior picks of TEs alluded to in previous posts on this thread are irrelevant to this guy.

For example, I don't think that Kyle Brady would have been drafted by this regime, because he was a small tackle, not a tight end.

I don't think that Johnny Mitchell would have been drafted by this regime, because he was an egomaniac who didn't know how to work on his talent.

I don't think that Anthony Becht would have been drafted by this regime, because he never met a football that he could catch.

I think that this CS and FO of the NYJs have a plan to generate pass catching for a big fast H-back in the manner of Dallas Clark coming from the slot, or in motion, or from the tight end position. This was what the Colts relied upon when Harrison went doown this year and if Clark had not dropped so many passes they would have ridden this tactics much deeper into the playoffs in 07.

The CS have a good idea about getting more receiving action -- they want to AUGMENT our existing skill sets at WR, not REPLACE them.

Chris Baker is a phenomenal pass catcher close in the red zone where his speed is not a factor, but he is is too slow and easy to cover to provide a Dallas Clark alternative down the seam or in the flat or short post.

This guy, Keller, has been selected with a plan in mind, that the more I think about it, the smarter it seems to be.

15. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

We were picking Jolley to be that type of player but failed miserably picking the right guy or utilizing him correctly

16. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Hey, I'll give you that. Jolley sucks.

17. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The Colts have so many weapons that comparing the Clark situation is silly at best comparing to our team.

18. JohnnyJohnson

JohnnyJohnson Banned

Alright, all you ass hats bad mouthing this guy...watch the clips. That guy has juice. He's no slouch. Vertical.....he's going vertical...bad mofo. Baker is gone and that leaves us with Bubba Franks....as pointed out an upgrade over CB but this guy can catch, run, jump, take hits.....

None of the other clowns we've had at TE ever had this dude's juice.

19. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

It was a HIGHLIGHT on NFL Network. You vulgar little man.

20. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

i like how this pick is getting more attention then our stud selection vernon "big guns" gholston