Drafting A QB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MaximusD163, Oct 8, 2014.

1. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

No doubt about it. If whoever the GM is , is smart in his signings and next years draft we could be set up very nicely for years to come. Thats a big if though because I was saying the same shit last season around this time.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. MaximusD163

MaximusD163 Well-Known Member

Honestly I totally forgot about Mettenberger. You're right, with means the Rams are the only team with a very strong likelihood of taking a QB high.

3. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

That's why you have to look at guys that have done it for a while at the college level. The overall level of the talent this year is not strong--but not nearly as weak as the 2013 class which was a stupid year to pick a QB--but certainly behind the overall talent level the 2014 class. There will be a stud up at the top, possibly 2.

_

4. Sanchito6

Sanchito6 Member

it was brought up in an earlier post.. but it's true... who is the last big name QB to come from a big program and succeed (to an elite level) in the nfl? Probably Peyton. I know Cam was #1 after a national championship but no one is calling him 'elite' at this time. Stafford's from a big program as well.

it does seem to be that QB's are better developed for the NFL when they come from smaller programs and really carry their teams. the best QB's in the NFL (aside from peyton & Brady) are from Purdue, BC, Cal, Miami (ohio), Eastern Illinois...etc.
    That is what would scare me about Mariota. He's had streaky speedsters to throw to his entire college career. and I'm not sure the Pac 12 is the same level defensively as the SEC. (although they do seem to develop pro ready qb's better in the pac 12)

And although Luck is a once in a lifetime QB... his Stanford help on offense wasn't anything to write home about. Baldwin, Fleener and Ertz are the only NFL standouts .

NYJetsO12 and FJF like this.
  5. JStokes

We didn't take him because we fucked up by taking a QB out of a waek QB class when we should have waited for the much stronger 2014 class. And then Idzik couldn't pull the trigger because he would have looked like an ass for taking 2 QBs in a row. Also can't forget that historically awesome last 4 games Geno put up.

I think quite a few teams are going to rue that mistake.

That was basically one dude who made up bullshit almost everyday to try to discredit him and a few other Geno fans who wanted nothing to do with a superior talent.

_

6. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

I doubt we would've taken Bridgewater if we didnt take Geno the year before.

Manziel would be a Jet right now if we didnt take Geno.

Lets count our blessings on that one.

FJF likes this.
  7. JStokes

Mariota honestly has elite accuracy.

_

legler82 likes this.
  8. JStokes

I'm not so sure about that.

But if we HAD taken him, what a hoot :D

_

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. JETSrealMCCOY!

The Raiders might look for a QB early also. I like Carr but I think it depends on who their new coach is on how they draft.

10. JStokes

Yeah but based on his play and his superior pre-snap vision at the line and reading defenses, he would have been someone to build around.

_

11. JStokes

Then I would immediately make a move to try and trade for Carr.

_

12. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

We need to hire Phil Sims as a QB scout. He has been more on target than anyone else over the years. I followed him closely two years ago as he evaluated every QB and guess who he rated at the best QB in the draft? Mike Glennon. Smith wasn't even in the top three.

Jaws is the worst QB evaluator, closely followed by Mel Kipe and can you get who they liked? Geno Smith

TNJet and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. JETSrealMCCOY!

Agreed!!! Carr as a Jet then draft WR Cooper to help Decker would be a good start.

14. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You need to catch an Oregon game this year. It's a jail break every time Mariota drops back yet he is still completing over 70% of his passes, thrown 15 TDs to ZERO INTs in 5 games. Furthermore, Oregon, who has consistently had been a top 10 rushing team since 2007, is ranked 35th this year in rushing yards per game. That ranking is likely heading downwards as they get deeper into conference play. He also has the 105th ranked defense in terms of yards per game behind him. Simply put, the kid is carrying the team on his back. My two major concerns with Mariota are 1) he's not very vocal as a leader and 2) fumbles. The latter is a big problem he needs to nip in the bud.

NYJetsO12 and BigSnacks54 like this.
  15. JETSrealMCCOY!

They have a good match-up this week against UCLA and not only do you get a look at Oregon's Mariota but also UCLA's Hundley another good college QB prospect.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Sanchito6

Sanchito6 Member

i hear you. I guess I am just not a huge fan of the modern dual threat QB. I prefer a sneaky fast like Wilson, Rodgers, cutler and even Bridgewater. (he was tied to the pocket in college)..
    W/ Cam, Kaep RG3...etc. I don't feel like any of them are able to sit in the pocket for 20 throws a game and pick apart a defense. just imo.. but I haven't seen any sustained success from them in that sense yet.

17. greencrack

greencrack Member

This team would be rolling with Bridgewater

18. greencrack

greencrack Member

Cam definently can, He has really grown as a pocket qb.

Partly because he is 6'5 245lbs with a top 3 cannon for an arm which can make up for mental mistakes real easily.

Cam is going to be special.

The other two I agree on though

19. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Miami doesn't seem like they are all-in with Tannehill. They may be back in the QB market as well. With the rookie wage scale change picking a QB early in the draft doesn't set a franchise back like it used to do. You can't rule out teams like Oakland or Tampa coming back into the mix if Carr and Glennon don't pan out just like the Jets and Bills are now likely doing with Geno and EJ.

I do like that there are fewer teams in the league with obvious QB needs now than anytime I can remember in recent history. That bodes well for those that do have a need. Of course knowing the Jets history they'll screw it up and need to draft a QB again in a few years at a time when a lot of teams will need to replace aging QB's and they'll miss out on a top QB. Vicious cycle...

20. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Hundley has been sacked some crazy number of times in his collegiate career over 100 I think. His last game he was sacked 10 times. It's not his o-line, he just holds on to the ball way too long.