Drafted John Conner - FB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Apr 24, 2010.

1. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Exactly. This is another thing that people don't realize and gets back to my point that some people don't understand football. you obviously do very well as you've hit on every point perfectly.

In the 3-4,aside from the NT(which we have 2 very good ones already), the DE is probably the least important position as far as talent goes. Now, obviously every position is important but pretty much their only job is to eat up blockers. If the DE is versatile that helps, and thats why you saw Shaun ellis get sacks (kinda like Ty Warren and Richard seymour in NE). But they're not supposed to get sacks. They're in for run support and eating up blockers to free the pass rush.

ESPECIALLY in Rex's scheme, the most important positions talent wise are CB, NT and ILB/OLB are tied in that order.
    People don't realize that our pressure up front isn't supposed to be great. our pressure is gonna come from putting our CB's on an island and sending 6 or 7 guys. The OLBs need to have pass rushing speed obviously, but generally someone is left unblocked.
    The only thing the DE has to do is take up blockers. Which is why i think you'll see gholsten get a fair amount of playing time. Say what you want about gholston but he did *that* job well when he played last year. they didn't ask him to rush the passer because frankly, he sucks at that from an OLB standpoint

#121 jets_fan_in_fishtown, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Okay... yes... it makes a little sense to me, put this way. Enough sense to make me stop vomitting for now.

The prognosis on Leon's recovery must have been incredibly worse than what we all thought and for that reason, Seattle wouldn't consider Leon straight up for a 5th. They had to have our 7th as well. Okay, if that's the case, then we got at least something for him.

But damn, I fully expected him to come back from the leg fractures. That's an injury that normally heals up without repurcussions. I guess it didn't in his case. It'd be nice for Tanny to explain this, but we may never know, because if he gets on the podium and says that Leon is a basket case and that's why we did it, then it diminishes his credibility with teams like Seattle in the future.

3. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ib75Q-R7J5Q[/youtube]

4. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

I admit I do not know much about Conner.

The only thing that might make sense is if he IS a bit of a weapon/versitile, maybe they're looking to implement an 'H-Back' (Half FB, Half TE) into the offensive scheme?

5. skipper

skipper Member

Calm down people. Leon was on his way out and we got what we could. He would not have been a happy camper this year if had stayed and they moved him for the best deal they could get, which, admittedly, wasn't much. He was coming off a devastating injury, has a retarded dick for an agent and was going to demand much, much more than the team was willing to pay. What did you expect, a first rounder? I like what the FO is doing, building slowly and carefully for the future and thinking ahead for the signing of long term contracts for the people we really need. I'm glad that the guys in the FO that really know the team and its needs are making the decisions, some of which we may not appreciate for years.

#125 skipper, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  6. Coach K

Coach K New Member

ok first off if I'm one of Leons biggest fans, watched his whole career at FSU and made a complete analysis and remark about how extatic i was when we drafted him.

that being said hes coming off a compound fracture and his agent all but made this inevitable.

for those bitching about John Conner, your nuts. ive seen the kid at UK and hes a fucking mammoth and the perfect heir apparent to Richardson after this year. you get him in hear now, familiarized with the system and learning from the likes of Richardson/LT

perfect for the system we run.

in a year youll have Conner eating peoples lunch money and clearing the way for Greene.

Leon's one of my favorite football players and this could be a steal for the Seahawks, but guess what, I blame Alvin Keels for his underhanded ways and the Jets FO tried working with him and they dont take shit.

so soon as I heard we drafted McKnight (returner and recieving threat) it spelled Leons exit for a 5th.

i told a friend this on the phone and he called me at work later to tell me we traded him I paused.....who did we pick?

he said John Conner, i screamed into the phone hell ya the Terminator will be mowing people down in a year and learning from one of the best in Richardson.

i dont like the McKnight pick i wouldve went with Rolle, Cam Thomas, or Ricky Sapp, even Eric Norwood. but guess they knew they were trading leon and took a player who can comparatively fill his duties.

prolly the only pick i wasnt happy with. but with leon gone it makes sense just had other holes i wouldve liked to fill. but we'll see.

LOVE ALL THE OTHER PICKS SO FAR

7. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

I can appreciate the 'Glass Half Full' mentality many of you have, I really can.

BOTTOM LINE:

If the Pats or Dolphins did this (Trade Leon and a 7th for a 5th round FB) we would never let them hear the end of it. We would be calling it the worst move of the draft.

You know this is true. Lets not have a double standard. Just because 'we' did it does not mean it's a brilliant move.

8. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

he's sent from the future to open up holes for jet running backs.....sorry couldnt resist.....Ok people flippin the script bc we "gave away leon" need to relax. He was only going to be on our team for another year and we got something in return instead of nothing AND we didn't lose him to a division rival which is good. Also I was talking to my cousin who goes to KU and he said connor is an animal, a complete road grating blocking back that pushed around SEC linebackers on a consistent basis, which puts a smile on my face. Also joe mcknight (sp?) is a good player in the mold of.....LEON! He is fast and elusive and behind this line he will be a solid replacement. I'm just saying people I'm sure Tanny and co know what their doing, relax and don't jump off any bridges!

9. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Conner was drafted to do one thing, destroy defenders and clear lanes for our backs.

Word around the campfire is that Conner is a very angry player who enjoys hurting people on the football field. Rex must have gotten wood viewing his films.

10. The Notorious J.E.T.S

lol..no, we don't know this is true. In fact, most of us couldn't disagree with you more. Leon Washington's knee EXPLODED. Do you have any idea what little value that gave him? This move was made to clear roster space AND draft our FB of the future who people say is a beast.

11. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

OK. We agree to disagree. If the Pats made this move, we would be all over them. Not even a shred of doubt in my mind. No one here would say 'what a clever move by the Pats, trading that player for a FB and clearing roster space. Kudos to them'. No way on gods green earth does that happen.

12. The Notorious J.E.T.S

That's because we hate them. The team won 3 championships and we still think they suck. Don't evaluate draft picks on the opinions of rival fanbases dude.

13. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

Actually he had no knee problem. His leg was broken. The main thing to consider is LW and Keels had bitched their way out of NY long before the draft. We got some value out of him instead of just outright cutting him. The only pick I don't like was McKnight I think Smith was more than capable of returning.

14. chrisrex

chrisrex Active Member

Im not basing my opinion on... ugh. I give up. Nevermind.

15. bloke911

bloke911 Active Member

From a player to player comparison it doesn't seem very smart.

LW- Danger out of backfield, dangerous runner, dangerous kick returner- Tri-factor weapon for...
    The terminator=runs over people and will likely get 2-3 TDs a year and 200 yds.

Doesn't make any sense...

But we have now have three backs that if you clear a line for ie "The terminator" all three backs can make tacklers miss in the secondary and are very dangerous.

16. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

He 'terminated' Leon before even becoming a jet. Kid has promise!

edit: and now if he can 'terminate' Jason Taylor in the practice bubble Revis will have to change his name.

17. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

18. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I cannot wait to see this guy in action. Conner is going to hurt a lot of kick returns this season, and be a major anchor for the running game in 2011 and beyond.

19. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

dude, what are you taling about???
    Fact? his knee Exploded?

20. talisaynon

talisaynon Well-Known Member

I think the FO saw Lusaka Polite own the shit out of our Linebackers and drafted this dude in response.

I cant wait till he knocks a bunch of faggot Dolphin lbs on their asses.