Drafted John Conner - FB

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by 88toon, Apr 24, 2010.

1. XxceenxX

XxceenxX New Member

Yeah I know but when you have other needs.BPA is not always correct..There has not been any great super bowl teams that have an elite FB..I don't even know the pats FBs name.Or the saints FBs name either..

2. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Did you really just quote yourself and then insult yourself?

3. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

Okay, what we did here was to get the best value for the offense this team runs. A lot of teams in the league will place little or no value on the fullback, its a hidden position that has virtually been eliminated in most offensive situations. And it is certainly not a highly sought after position in the draft.

So I was sitting here before the trade thinking about that seventh pick that we don't have anymore, and thinking we should try to get a value player. Punter, kicker, even long snapper in the seventh, and you could be getting the best available player overall at that position. The same applies to fullback, which is only slightly more highly regarded anymore. By most teams, that is. But this team is different.

With the commitment to running the ball that we have, there is always room for a second fullback. Maybe not on any other team; but for this team, its the kind of luxury that will be useful as opposed to superfluous. Of course, that is if we decide to keep T-Rich. You never know, and I wouldn't be shocked if he goes now.

This kid is an all-American first team. That makes him the best fullback in college. Now you think of every other first team all-American so far, the list reads like a whos-who of the first round. To get that high level talent in the 5th round for a team that uses the hell out of a fullback, its an excellent pickup.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Wahhhh wahhhhh wahhhh.. You're crying over a 5th round pick like that's going to put the Chargers over the top. What team do you root for, the patriots or miami?

5. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

Some of you guys really don't know football.
    Richardson has maybe 1 year left in him and his position is EXTREMELY important to *this* team. he's one of the best in the business still but he's not easy to replace in free agency

the FB is what makes a running game go. They never get any credit whatsoever but they're most often the lead blocker and if your FB isn't good enough to make those blocks consistently, your running game is fucked. It was a crucial position that had to be preserved for this teams style of play. That's without even mentioning max protection schemes and the versatility of keeping them as a blocker for pass protection.

it will give conner a year to understand the blocking schemes and hone his skills a bit to be richardson's replacement. you can't just throw a rookie FB in into the fire and expect a smooth transition

All i have to say is look what happened when the chargers lost Lorenzo Neal.

I watch alot of SEC games since i go to U of Florida and this kid is huge. he's the best blocking fullback in the draft, bar none.

#105 jets_fan_in_fishtown, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  6. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

His knee...exploded. You're lucky they even took him.

7. The Jutty

The Jutty Banned

Because Leon was on his way out of NY before the draft. Because he was coming off an injury. Because our fans have him overrated.

8. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Thank you sir, for bringing a little reason the the board.

9. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

I think he's gone because Tanny has to deal with his agent ever damn day. Can you imagine having to take and return calls all day from Alvin Keels for over a year, how fucking sick Tanny has to be of that shit? Good luck with that, Petey boy.

10. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

Wow...

This move is straight up dumb IMO.

Add this to losing TJ and we just gave up our 2 most productive players of the last few years.

WTF were they thinking w/ this one???

Funny thing is I was hoping to get a FB late round and I like the pick but not at this expense.

Guessing Wilson will be our KR/PR now

11. steves850

steves850 Active Member

This just needs to be reiterated.

12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Who's knee exploded?

13. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Well if a SB MVP Wr that is coming off an 80 catch 1200 yd season that smokes weed is worth a 5th. What is a talented scat back coming off a devastating leg injury worth?

14. KYJetsFan

KYJetsFan New Member

First time poster, long time reader. I'm from KY guys, I've watched Conner since he was a freshman in college and I can guarantee you that he's the best FB in the draft and it wouldn't surprise me if he eventually made a Pro-Bowl or 2. He's the perfect fit for us and our run first mentality, and he's a perfect replacement for TRich. We drafted McKnight, so we have plenty of depth at RB.

15. Abovetherim

Abovetherim New Member

I am not surprised that this trade happened. The Jets needed a Fullback since Richardson will only stick around for one more season. Leon was great and will always be remembered as a Jet but lets be honest here, they still made the playoffs last season without Leon. This trade wouldnt have made much sense deal wise if we hadnt picked up USC's Joe McKnight. He isnt Reggie Bush or Leon but he is a pretty good selection.

16. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

He reminds me of Mclain at Baltimore a guy who can spelll at RB and FB plus offering depth at TE and on ST. Its a great value pick when you consider our team ethos

17. hiker

hiker Well-Known Member

One last word for everybody so upset that we didn't draft for depth on defense, we have a pretty good knack for getting UFAs to fill those backup roles. If you want a guy to ride the pine and maybe take over a spot in a few years, why waste a draft pick on it? You don't go to the store and buy ripe bananas when you have a bunch sitting on the dinner table at home already. UFAs=green bananas.

18. jcjet

jcjet Member

I feel Rex was not happy about Leon not showing up for rehab and stayed in FL. As well as Mr T probably had enough with his idiot agent. Also they probably don't think he'll be the same.

19. KY_Jetsfan

KY_Jetsfan New Member

Connor is a stud. I watch all the UK games too, he bulldozed his way through the SEC for the last several years. He will fit in perfect here.

20. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Leon is gonna be 28 years old next year and is looking for a long term deal that the Jets just were not willing to give him. He is coming off a major injury. He obviously irked the coaching staff by not showing up for offseason workouts. He was 3rd on the depth chart. He was not a core player worthy of big money. Even before he got hurt last year his return skills were clearly not as good as they were under the old rules.

Now they add a guy in Conner who is Richardson's heir apparent. He's a beast. A great run blocker who blows up linebackers. He ran a 4.64 40 which is good for a 250 pound fullback. He is a very good special teams player. He is really good at short yardage. I think it's a good pick and fits what the Jets are trying to do.