Draft Grade

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tanknyc, Apr 24, 2010.

1. SanityRemoved

SanityRemoved New Member

I give it an A-. While Wilson and McKnight are easy A's, the Connor pick may turn out to be the smartest one. If we see Connor replace Richardson with either no change in our run game or better then we made a great choice. People tend to undervalue the role of the fullback and Connor looks like he has the attitude and physicality to be a fine replacement for Tony. Some mentoring from Tony can't hurt either.

2. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I know I'm dating myself, but way back when, when OJ Simpson ran for over 2,000 yards, he had a FB whose name escapes me. He was half the reason OJ got those yards.

OJ used to give him occasional credit too, but the public never really did. They always naively thought it was all OJ, when the reality of it was, his FB opened holes for him like nobody else on that Bills team that year.

Perhaps somebody on the board remember who the FB was. But whatever, maybe Connor will be that FB.

3. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Jim Braxton.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Braxton

4. NYJ_JD

NYJ_JD Member

CBSSports Grades

Kyle Wilson - A : The rich get richer. Go ahead and try and throw against their secondary. He will be the nickel corner with Revis and Cromartie. They will blitz even more.

Vlad Ducasse - B+ : They are ready to make a change at left guard with Alan Faneca. This kid played tackle in college, but he will slide inside to guard. He could also play right tackle. I like this pick. He is raw, but talented.

Joe McKnight - B+ : McKnight is some insurance if Leon Washington doesnt make a full recovery. McKnight has good speed and ability but didnt put it all together at USC. (Now became replacement)

John Conner - C : Conner is a fullback and thats about it. He doesnt have good enough speed to really make an impact in the running or receiving game. He is a good hard nosed player.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/13264107?tag=pageRow;pageContainer

5. Vorrecht

Vorrecht Active Member

I thought D-line was our biggest area of need. Guess not.

6. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I always prefer rating the entire off-season instead of just the draft but since this is the draft I will give it a B-. Too few picks and our biggest need wasn't addressed (pass rusher).

7. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

Earning your moniker... JT was brought in to bolster the pass rush, thus making it not a pressing need... we drafted guys to contribute this year at some point in virtually every round we picked...

#67 Mehl-56, Apr 24, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2010
  8. GreenHornet27

GreenHornet27 New Member

I don't get what the issue is here. We pretty much got all that we could out of Faneca. He is on the outside edges of a long career, and he was fading throughout all of last year. His leadership was probably the best of what he gave, but its time the young guys start taking what they've learned and applying it.

Leon probably wanted out. It seems there was issues from the organization's standpoint and Leon's side. Not sure if anyone else out there wanted Leon, but if the move helped us secure a very similar RB who is healthier, for less money, it is a washout at the very least. No one knows what kind of a runner the guy is gonna be after the compound fracture.

The Hatian kid may be a project, but at least he isn't going to have mental and drive issues like a Golhston. This kid came from one of the poorest countries in the world and was drafted in the 2nd round. This kid has to know he is leaving the dream, and I am sure the drive and hunger inside him and his background have something to do with it. I don't think this kid is going to disappoint.

Lastly, I love the Connor pick. Who ever is complaining that he is too slow and brings very little to the running game is retarded. T.R. is one of the oldest players in the league and we don't have anything else in the wings to take that place. And there isn't much out there to trade for at the FB position. It is most certainly a need, and it was addressed properly. This kid has one of the best to learn from and has the ability to follow in his footsteps if not be better.

The immediate impact of these picks may not be what some want, but I feel the overall impact is going to be greater than some realize. This draft was hardly a D. It was at least a B.

9. GreenHornet27

GreenHornet27 New Member

Here's what his former teammates have to say about him ....

Solid all-around player ... Team's starting fullback ... Also plays extensively on special teams ... Named the "best blocking back" in the SEC in the Birmingham News 2009 preseason edition ... Teammates call him "The Terminator" ... "John Conner is one of the best fullbacks in the nation," tailback Alfonso Smith says. "I feel very comfortable running behind him, like I'm not going to be touched." ... A capable running threat and a reliable pass catcher ... Scored the first time he touched the ball in college, hauling in a 17-yard pass for a touchdown against Texas State in 2006 ... Has seen action in 42 games, starting 15.

SEC has some of the toughest defenses in the nation and this kid set up his RBs with space. Gotta love the nickname, "the Terminator"

10. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I'm happy with the draft but was hoping for something better in the pick that eventually snared Vlad. It's partly due to the pick position but in a draft with such depth, I was hoping that the second round pick would have been something better than a work-in-progress, particularly now Faneca has gone.

"B" overall.

11. GreenHornet27

GreenHornet27 New Member

what makes any of this unbiased? it seems completely biased.

12. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

It's really stupid to grade the Jets lower because they didn't see a DL available that they liked. I'd rather them pull in three players that represented great value where they were taken than go for a DL that they didn't feel was value or just didn't like as a prospect.

13. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

B is my grade.

We had a good draft, but overall we get a A-

Kyle Wilson
    Ducasse
    Braylon Edwards
    Joe Mcknight
    Santonio Holmes
    John Conner

14. Pluvrr

Pluvrr Active Member

Yahoo gives Jets one of the worst grades in NFL:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...st-and-worst-of-the-2010-draft?urn=nfl,236463

Then at the bottom they go on to say Kyle Wilson was one of the biggest steals:

Boise State CB Kyle Wilson: the Jets get a guy compared to an embryonic Darrelle Revis by some experts with the 29th overall pick. Some had Wilson going top 10. If the Jets' secondary wasn't already illegal with Revis and Antonio Cromartie, Wilson should push the envelope.

15. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

They don't mention a problem with a single player we picked. They knocked us because we moved Washington and cut Faneca.

Expect to see a lot of our draft grades being terrible if all the analysts grade not on the players we picked, but on the loss of Faneca and Leon

16. floridajet

floridajet Member

lol u mad??????
    ?????

17. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

I like every pick, but it's a shame that we didn't have more in such a deep draft.
    Once again, Tanny goes for quality over quantity, which I'm cool with.

Getting Warren as an UDFA is almost like getting an extra 5th/6th rounder anyway, in my book.
    Including him , I'll give the draft an (absurdly) early grade of B+.

18. 624

624 Banned

I've learned to never trust anything Yahoo says sports wise....they are awful on sports topics.

So I take that as good news.

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I'll give it a solid B. McKnight projects to be a very good pro, Ducasse has all the physical ability in the world and we have the best OL coach in the world, Conner is a ST demon and a punishing blocker who will take over for T-Rich next year as the lead blocker, and of course Kyle Wilson.

I only give it a B because we lost Faneca in the process. I'm aware he's on the decline and the level of play you'd get from him is probably the same as either Ducasse or Slauson. At the same time, he was a veteran presence in the locker room and one of the team leaders. I understand the move but I don't like it. Also, considering all the movement in this draft, I wonder if we could have traded down in the second round and acquired a 3rd and 4th round pick and still gotten quality players

20. Jetcentric28

Jetcentric28 New Member

I like our draft, given the players we acquired for some of our picks, we made the best of what we had left to work with. B+