Does the Len Wms pick translates to Jets saying "GoodBye" Mo' ?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Fightin'JetTitan, May 1, 2015.

1. PutJerrichoIn

PutJerrichoIn Member

Yes! "Milliner is best player available and allows us to address corner much cheaper - its unreasonable to devote that much cap % to one player".

Fast Forward to us dying to overpay a 3 years older Revis after winning a SB with our rival.

(I'm aware we were able to Sheldon Richardson for Revis so it more or less worked out in the end, but I feel like we are going down a similar path with this Leonard Williams/Trade Wilkerson thinking)

2. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

This is in the trade Mo-Wilk for the 2nd pick thread but that's too late the 2nd pick has already passed. If we were to somehow get Williams and 2 first round picks for Wilkerson this would be a great move. Make it happen Mac, show us we weren't stupid for doing what we did last night. Don't settle for 1 get 2.

3. Dom

Dom Well-Known Member

look, this should be stated if it hasn't been already

there actually is no reason to trade wilkerson. we can keep sheldon on a rookie deal until 2018 and leonard on a rookie contract until 2020. if williams becomes a pro-bowl talent, those will be two of the best bargain contracts in the NFL. this allows us to get away with having three ELITE defensive linemen, while only paying one big money for 3 more years

also, wilkerson is still young as he's only 25. after 3 years when we start paying him big money, Revis's contract will be extremely manageable and I doubt Cromartie will be on the team. Not to mention, the cap will increase every year

we need to look at the big picture here, a lot of the analysis here has been lazy

74 likes this.
  4. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

If you play a traditional 3-4 then yes, but fewer and fewer teams play traditional 3-4, especially the Bowles defense.

JetLifeLo and Walt White like this.
  5. nevbeats319

nevbeats319 Well-Known Member

i have never seen a team with this amount of DT's (3-4 de's) on the field at the same time..and bowels used more sets with more DB's then lineman

6. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Doubt we trade Wilkerson. Press says the Jets want multiple first rounders for Mo. Ha.

7. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Actually somebody on NFL network said last night the Jets could get that too..remember John Abraham.

8. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

us asking for multiple firsts for Mo is basically us saying "we're not trading him.. unless it's to a dumbass"

9. 1968jetsfan

1968jetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, which makes it even more important to have DL who can play any of the 3 positions in a 3-4 base. You have more flexibility to mislead the offense and make it more difficult for them to determine where the play is.

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Babin got significant playing time last year. Williams will pick up that time. Douzable too. They'll find time for everyone.

Catfish Billy likes this.
  11. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Mo isn't going anywhere, as far as the Jets are planning. He's obligated to one more year. That's what the "Franchise Tag' was designed to do in case they can't agree to a renewal.

You think the Jets would pass up the opportunity to see Mo in the middle of that line with Sheldon , snacks and Williams? I would think not.

12. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

I don't know what it means with mo, other then the jets now havesome insurance and leverage and dont have to panic if/when he holds out

but i dont think thats why we took him, i think we took him cause he was head and shoulders the best player in the draft

LogeSection2RowJ and BomberJet like this.
  13. Fightin'JetTitan

Fightin'JetTitan Active Member

Jets pick def. lineman, L. Williams, with the 6th pick.

Every-1 saying he's the BPA @ #6.

Jets picked def. lineman, V. Gholston, @ #6 several years ago.

Every-1 said he was the BPA @ #6.

What, me worry !!??

I put it all in the hands of The Almighty Above!

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Gholsten was a workout warrior with huge biceps.

While many liked the pick there was a lot of disagreement.

With Williams it seems that there is little to no baggage and everyone likes him.

15. SuperBowlesChamp

I think we keep Mo for the final year of his contract, and then we franchise him in '16. If an other team wants him for '16 then we will be very nicely compensated. If no other team wants him, which is possible considering they'll know we really have no intention of resign him, then he'll be with us for 2 more seasons.
    So no worries here my fellow Jets fan family, lets just sit back and enjoy having the most talented D-line in the league for the next couple of years.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  16. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

I think that overlooks a glaring issue. That means that we will get nothing but a comp pick for arguably one of the few first round draft picks that we got right in past 5 years. This in light of throwing $21mm to an aging, two down LB Harris. Getting a comp pick for Wilk would be a huge travesty.

17. SuperBowlesChamp

Lions couldn't resign Suh, and from what we're hearing, Mo wants Suh and Watt type money. I love Mo, but I believe in 2 years, He'll be the 3rd best DE on our squad. I agree, it sucks to get nothing but a conditional pick for him, but that's the way the league is. Ideally, we'll manage to at least get 1 1st rdr for him before his departure.

18. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Bowles said NT is the most important position for a 3-4 defense.

19. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

if we franchise him, and someone else signs him, we get 2 first rounders. not a comp pick

20. Turbocharged23

Turbocharged23 Well-Known Member

That will never happen. Justin Houston is more dominant at his position than Wilkerson is at his, yet didnt warrant two first rounders. I'm saying if we franchise him , then in 2017 he walks and we get practically nothing for a guy still in his prime that we drafted and developed.