Do you regret the release of Chad?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DHarris52, Mar 20, 2009.

?

Do you regret the release of Chad Pennington?

1. Yes, we are screwed at QB right now.

49 vote(s)
    19.3%
  2. No, we wouldn't have been the caliber team we need to be with him at QB.

174 vote(s)
    68.5%
  3. Not sure how I feel.

31 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. quadcityjetsfan76

No way, a change was needed by both parties. Neither one could succeed with the program we were running. The Jets and Chad both knew this so the Jets made the move for Favre. If Favre had not come available we would have tried with kellen and Chad, and who knows what would have happened. I feeel we will be better off.

2. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

The hate on Chad is always amazing around here. In hindsight, I do regret having lost him. I was all for getting Favre to replace him... at the time Favre was by far, a huge upgrade for us. And if we could have kept him in shape and in the lineup for a couple of years it would have been a good move. But you roll the dice and sometimes you lose. Such is life. Chad is the perfect type of QB for what the type of team they are assembling, and I would want the best QB for our team starting that we can get... and right now there is not a person on our roster better than Chad. Hopefully, one of them (Ratliffe or Clemens) can hold the offense together until we find "THE" guy.

3. CaneJet

CaneJet Well-Known Member

Yes. I'm still a fan of this team because I almost can't help myself. But I still haven't forgiven Woodhead Johnson for the whole Favre debacle. We would have made the playoffs easily with Pennington.

4. Phear

Phear New Member

Here is the problem with this post and other people who say he would be perfect for this system.

If we kept chad, the dolphins wouldn't have gotten him and would have probably been at the bottom of the div. We would have probably made the playoffs. Mangini would still be our coach. We do not aquire any of the fa from the ravens we have because we wouldn't have rex ryan.

getting rid of chad last year helped this organization more than most people think.

5. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

My only regret is that he went to the true pukes of the AFCE. I loved Pennington for certain traits, but all told, we could probably dissect it to death and still not have a clear answer. In my uneducated and unqualified medical opinion, he should have sat for 2005 - the entire year. He was medically 'cleared' as a regular Joe, not as a QB. I honestly think it's why Pennington didn't sue anyone when he got re-injured. Granted that would have torn anyone's shoulder, but he'd go out there, barely able to hold up his arm, pin-wheel, god it was awful. You knew it was coming before it came. Then in 2006, much the same. He wasn't at full strength (it was obvious), and I'd hold my breath every time he had his arm hanging out there. He had this past offseason to fully recondition and heal. It showed.

You can't say it was all on Pennington's shoulders (no pun intended) that the Jets didn't make it to the SB in '04 season. You really can't; but I think the main reason I held onto Chad in my Jets heart was because I could never truly shake the conviction that there was unfulfilled destiny there. Oh, well. Such is life.

6. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

Pennington, frankly, was not a good quarterback by the time he left the Jets. I'm very happy for him that he got his career back on track in Miami (though I wish he did it somewhere off in the NFC) but there was no reason to expect such a return to form. There was even less reason to expect Brett Favre to suck so much. The Jets did the right thing by moving on.

7. Wolfe Tone

Wolfe Tone New Member

Kind of like when I regreted getting over pneumonia

8. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I cried like a little bitch just when I was getting over Herm we get rid of Chad. Who's next Mangini?

9. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Yep. That covers it.

10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I have to admit, I had a touch of nostalgia watching Chad throw a playoff game away this year, but I think I will look toward the future. I think we can find someone who throws away playoff games with a little more style.

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I never regretted any release I had.

12. jetophile

You're not being completely fair. Yah, he was going to blow it in the PO's this year, no surprise there, but still, you're not being completely fair as to what he 'threw away' in Spittsburgh. My grandmother could have won that game in the last two minutes, but she's dead, so that's that.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I think we would've gotten killed by the Patriots the next week.

BTW. RIP GRAMS

#53 abyzmul, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  14. puddnhead

puddnhead New Member

I think it was a roll of the dice that just did not come up as well as anyone expected. Pennington was always a good QB in my opinion, but there were a lot of question marks. With all the FA acquisitions, it seemed like a good go-for-it-now move, it did not look like Chad was the QB of 2010 or 2011 anyway. It just didn't pan out. Favre flamed out a bit more than anyone expected at the end, due to his shoulder or whatever.

It was all moot anyway, as we were not gonna go very deep with that defense even if Favre had and the OL pass protection and the play calling had been able to stay coherent.

#54 puddnhead, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  15. It was time for both sides to move on. Bottom line.

16. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

We could have literally 0 QBs on the roster and I'd be more satisfied with that than having CP as the QB.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

No BS. Do you think Fins fans are happy with Chad after watching him fold the way he did in the playoffs?

If Chad had been a gritty QB with mediocre numbers who always managed to lead the big drive at the end of the game, like Terry Bradshaw, I'd have loved him. Instead he was the perfect QB until crunch time when he tended to fold and watch his team get rolled.

I'll be very happy if he stays the Fins QB for a few years because on the offchance we actually get to the playoffs against him he'll be one of the QB's that I know we can beat, or at least not get beat by.

18. jetophile

BTW? C'mon, you're above such things. The Jets didn't make it there because of James? Who knows if the Jets would have gotten killed or not. Money says yes, yet look how many bettors lost their shirts over Super Bowl III.

19. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

I regret the release of Chad Pennington for the fact that we def would have been better with him last season than with Favre. But the truth is, hes not a premier qb and had he stayed the jets most likely win the division and Mangini is still here.. So I think the collateral damage was worth it. Mangini will never be a good coach, so getting rid of him was huge.

20. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

If it was on me then, yes, I think I would.