DJ's latest Mock has Jets trade up for MHJ

Discussion in 'Draft' started by KY Jets Fan, Mar 19, 2024.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Flat out refuse to trade up and spend future assets for a team that next year could very well find itself in the midst of a rebuild mode starting with QB. I’ll argue that if your target is the future, the only trade up is for a topLT and even that is iffy.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'd want JD fired immediately and not allowed to finish the draft. I think that would be a totally stupid move. There is no way on earth that both Smith and Moses are going to play 17+ games this season. To think that they will or that Warren or Mitchell could capably fill in and the offense not suffer is delusional imo. I cannot believe that either Jeremiah or you would think it a good move.

The Jets cannot afford to trade up, but if they do, it should be for Alt not Harrison, Jr.

#22 NCJetsfan, Mar 19, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  3. NCJetsfan

You know I love you guy, but imo you're not being realistic. You're thinking with your little head rather than your big head if you think that a lower round OT or that Mitchell or Warren could step in and play on a quality level for 3-5 games or more. That would get Rodgers hurt, or at the very least ground our offense to a screeching halt. No team can afford to pay two #1 WRs for long. We don't need two #1 WRs. We need a solid #2 and depth much more than we need another #1 WR.

4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

We trade up to 5th but not for Joe Alt?

I agree with the no trade up crowd. We're going into rebuild mode soon, and need all the picks we can get.

Jets79, NCJetsfan and Leicester Jet like this.
  5. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

With the switch to GAP scheme, weak Max is even more useless than before (if it is even possible): https://jetsxfactor.com/2024/03/14/ny-jets-gap-zone-ol-identity-shift/

"In gap schemes, you typically see teams employ larger, stronger linemen. Key traits include core strength, lower-body strength, arm length, and a downright nasty mentality...
    Sheer power is crucial for all of these blocks. You’ve got to be a mauler in a phone booth. That’s not to say athleticism doesn’t matter on gap plays – after all, pulling is a key part of gap plays, and that is a skill that requires mobility in space – but the core mindset of gap blocking is to flat-out plow the defense."

Basically the opposite of Max. So, I think Max is a PS guy at this point. The only back-up is 25 year old Carter Warren, who does have some of these traits, but played very poorly last year. How much he can improve is also a huge question mark considering he is already 25.

Bottom line: we need another starting quality OL first and foremost as a swing. Alt would be great. But given this change, I am not sure Fashanu is a perfect fit. What may be the best is to trade down a few spots and maybe get JC Latham. Who knows, Latham can probably start at Guard too early when AVT will be coming back from injury.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

We can still get a good receiver at ten and we don’t need to give up any capital though.

I don’t think it’s really a half measure. Trading up for MHJ would be an extreme measure and I think we need to get away from this short window crap. We still have a young core that has a future beyond Rodgers’s 2024 season.

chandler, joelip, REVISion and 2 others like this.
  7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

How would you put the former Ohio St WRs next to Harrison. GW, Olave, JSN - where does Harrison fit in? Is he clearly the best, GW/Olave level, JSN?

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

There are a lot of good offensive players in this draft, and there's no guarantee Harrison is the best of them. Trading a future first rounder or equivalent to trade up for Harrison instead of taking whoever's there are 10 is stupid and would also be a selfish move by a GM on the hot seat. Not that I expect Douglas to actually do it.

9. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Well, like I said earlier. We already have a ton of 1st round picks we'll struggle to resign. So ya, burn a couple for a legit, future HOF wide receiver. DOIT!

10. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I don't think getting MHJ for a future 2nd round pick (if that was what really happened) is any kind of an outrageous move.

But I also feel that of all the players available in this draft Alt is the one the Jets franchise most needs. Getting him would just be the very definition of solid foundation to build off for literally whatever the future might bring. Get him and just make him a lifetime Jet and worry about every other detail after that.

11. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

It would be a totally typical dipshit Joe Douglas move to trade up in a draft this deep. I totally expect it.

BrowningNagle and REVISion like this.
  12. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

WR is absolutely not a luxury. It's one of the most important positions in the game by many metrics. It's also a position group we're extremely weak at currently. Much weaker than OL.

Having said that, trading up for MHJ would be dumb.

13. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

No to trade up for an OT or a WR. Stay put at 10, pick up the best OT or WR and move on. In fact, if we could drop to 20 range and pick up a 2nd rounder this year, that would be awesome.

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Make it happen!

Heck, throw in Lazard and Zach to put icing on this cake.

15. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Oh really? The Chiefs just won the Super Bowl (again) with a WR who couldn't make 5th string on the Jets. I wonder if the Chiefs have anything else we don't? Oh right ... they have a QB and a great OL (again). WRs are made by their QBs, not vice versa.

16. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

Not likely to happen now that they have signed Mike Williams. I think a trade down is far more likely now that the basic needs are covered. Can still get BOTH a quality OT and WR later in the first and second.

Jets79 and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

To begin with, I don't think we'd be able to move up for just next year's 2nd round pick. If we had two young stud OTs, it wouldn't be an outrageous move, but considering the fact that we have two 33 year-old OTs, one of whom has missed a ton of games over the last 4-5 years, and the other needs surgery on one of his shoulders, it would be totally outrageous imo. It wouldn't matter if we could draft the 2nd coming of Jerry Rice or Randy Moss, if Smith or Moses goes down for a large chunk of the season. Also, both Smith and Moses are only signed to one-year contracts. That would have us right back in the same place next offseason, and who knows, next season could be a lousy draft for OTs, or if the Jets have a good season, they could be in no position to draft one of the few good OTs. Trading up for a WR is NOT good team building when you have had the crappy OLs we have had for each of the last 4-5 seasons or more and have the opportunity to finally get a great OT prospect. Also, as you said yourself, "of all the players available in this draft Alt is the one the Jets franchise most needs." If we were going to trade up, it should be for Alt, not a WR.

#37 NCJetsfan, Mar 19, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    ColoradoContrails, Jets79 and ouchy like this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I respectfully disagree. Yes, WR is a big need, but when your two starting OTs are both 33 years old, one has missed a ton of game over the last 4-5 seasons, and the other has a shoulder injury and probably needs surgery, drafting a WR at # 10 would be a luxury. Normally, it wouldn't be, but in this situation it would be. It would be a different story if the Jets had drafted one of the top OTs last year, and then Warren had shown real promise. Then we could draft one of the WRs and not look back, but that's not what happened. In this situation, the Jets don't need two #1 WRs. I can't think of any team in NFL history that had two #1 WRs, and in the cap age, they'd never be able to pay both. The Jets need a solid #2 WR. Boyd along with a WR taken at #72 or in the 2nd round following a trade down would have been fine, but as it is JD signed Mike Williams, so that totally removes any need to draft a WR at #10. They can still add a WR at #72 or in the 2nd round following a trade down.

Listen, it would be GREAT to add Nabers or Odunze or Harrison, Jr., or Thomas, but because JD has screwed the pooch on building the OL, we have to make that the #1 priority. We can't afford to have Rodgers go down with a major injury again this year. If so, it makes the whole trade for him a wasted exercise, and actually will set back the team's progress.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Usually I’d want to move back too but heck if your getting a WR group that has Garrett, Williams and Harrison with ARod slinging the rock?! Depends on the price but I’d be completely ok with it.

20. Ozymandias

Ozymandias Well-Known Member

I want to trade up to at least 6 regardless. We need JOE ALT!