Did Joe Douglas do a great turnaround with Jets roster?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, Jul 31, 2023.

1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Exactly!

2. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Rodgers goes down and we are done. I know it's early, but I'm getting genuinely concerned from all I've been reading about the O-line.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  3. Jetsruby

Jetsruby Well-Known Member

Joe Douglas is an average GM in my eyes so far and I am not giving him the ultimate praise he seems to be getting for Arod. Obviously you're allowed to be stoked about Arod while also looking at the full scope of what he's done as a GM. A good trade GM who has questionable drafts and free agent acquisitions.

He drafted probably the best Jets draft class since 2006 when we drafted Mangold and Brick and established a line that would ultimately help us get to the AFCCG. Sauce, Garrett, Breece, and probably Jermaine are all legit. However it's entirely true as well that outside of this it was been utter shite. Becton, Mims, Elijah Moore, and Zach Wilson #2 overall! It has been up and down, but mostly down with drafts which is a weird, but true, thing to say about the guy that drafted 2 ROY.

So no, i don't want him fired, we need a larger sample size. He saved himself with last years draft. My biggest issue with him right now is his unwillingness to make a move at OL which he did nothing to build. I'll forgive him for Laken who turned out to be overhyped like Trumaine Johnson. The tackle situation is maybe the worst in the league. We have an injured Becton who shows less struggles but is unreliable and will most assuredly not play all 17+ games without injury. 38 year old Duane Brown (who is injured currently) who we are putting way too much faith into. And then Max Mitchell and Billy Turner who are turnstiles.

Make a move Joe. All our chips are already in, we have changed out approach from building long term, to a short 2-3 year window. So get on the phone. We need help at T and its one of the last positions I am concerned about. Even safety has more promise with the emergence of Tony Adams.

4. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I'm actually going to go back on myself and say that taking the 49ers trade would of actually been a bad thing.

We'd signed up Coleman for RB, we had Lawson off the Edge, Davis at WR and were having a discussion as to wheter Herndon/Griffin at TE were trash or just victims of Gase. That pretty much left us with major needs at QB & CB with some desire to also improve the offensive interior.

Dropping back to #12 means missing out on Wilson and Fields as well as Horn, Surtain, Pitts and Sewell. We didn't have a gaping need for a LB in Parsons and no need for Slater as we just drafted Mekhi.

Our choices are therefore to pick AVT at that spot and save trading back up OR it's Mac Jones time!

Probably knocks us out of taking Sauce last year and morevoer might of meant we got into the playoffs this year leaving us in a "He's sorta good enough but not really elite" position, meaning we don't take the swing at Rodgers and we're left with a 'Best of the rest' in the AFC kinda limbo.

5. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The dolphins took the trade and moved up to 6 for one of the 1sts with the eagles. The eagles were in 12 and moved up to 10 for a 3rd.

6. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

The 4-11-1 Eagles were originally slated at #6 ?
    The 6-10 49ers were down for #12 ?

So unless we did similar to Miami we'd of been there in the Mac Jones range?

7. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

We hired the wrong eagles front office assistant. They are doing an incredible job building a balanced team

ouchy likes this.
  8. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

Still a work in progress. I would hold off on the "great job" comments until they at least make the playoffs.

9. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

JD had a couple of master class moves. The trades he did for Adams and Sam, and now getting Rodgers. The trades he lost are relatively minor, like James Robinson for a 6th, etc. Draft has been up and down. One year total crap, another year master class. So, he is definitely competent. But for the life of me I cannot understand why year after year we have a below average to terrible OLIne, when the guy is preaching trenches and was a former lineman himself. For all the hard work he did to get AR, if he does not protect him, we will fail. And same with Zach and even Sam. He just could not protect these young highly drafted guys and that perhaps contributed to them not realizing their potential.

Jets79 likes this.
  10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges. One can't really compare one turnaround with another. Parcells was a HOF HC on the way to the HOF. He brought in a bunch of his "guys" to coach and play who were all veterans and very good at their jobs. Saleh was a rookie and hired rookies. That's a night and day difference. Parcells also left us with a mess. He didn't build anything to last. All he cared about was himself and adding another SB to his resume, so he truly sold out and went all in for a year or two window.

11. NCJetsfan

They are hardly "buried." McDonald has been seeing action and making an impact. Tippman is coming along. Playing Center is more difficult than rushing the passer. Tippman's having to learn to read NFL Ds and call protections, as well as adjusting to the speed of the NFL. McDonald is able to just be aggressive and attack. He has it much easier. Tippman could still be starting before the season is over.

Borat likes this.
  12. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Saying that he has been lousy says a lot more about you and your perspective than it does Douglas.

Part of the reason he has had 10 top 50 picks is that he made great trades and unloaded some players Like Jamal Adams and Sam Darnold to get those picks.

It didn't take him 3 tries to find a decent WR. Mims (the 1st WR he drafted) was more than decent his rookie season, then the CS and scheme changed and Mims went to shit. Michael Carter was the first RB he drafted, and he was much more than decent his rookie season. He had a bad season last year, but RBs not named Barry Sanders are dependent upon the play of the OL. We are NOT still looking for a good tackle, edge and LB. Becton showed his rookie season that he was a good tackle. JJ, Lawson, JFM, McDonald, and Huff were ALL brought in by JD and we have the deepest, and maybe the best Edge group in the NFL. To claim that we're still looking for a good Edge is laughable it's so wrong! As far as LB, Saleh's D doesn't prioritize LBs, so that hasn't been a priority. Still JD has brought in Sherwood and Quincy Williams and he brought in Kwon Alexander last year.

Rodgers has already made a HUGE impact on this team. He has made the D better, he has brought the team closer together and energized it, he is making the OL and WRs/TEs, RBs better.

I swear I really feel sorry for you guys who have such a negative perspective on things.

13. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

Agreed that Tippman catapulted himself with the Brown's game and McD has been solid all around. The problem is that JD seemed to have gotten players for the tackle spot both this and last year, who are not ready to contribute this year: Max, Billy, Warren, bunch of other scrubs. He then released a guy CMD who actually ended up playing well in NE. He also got Brown who was bad last year and a year older plus still hurt this year. And yes, it is very concerning at this stage. We are now hoping Becton, who was injured for two years, can last a whole season and have to switch an elite guard with short arms to tackle, who got seriously hurt on the bend last year.

14. NCJetsfan

No they weren't. Parcells had brought in a bunch of "his guys" who were older players and weren't going to be around long. His drafts were mostly mediocre. In no way was the team built for sustainability. Sorry, but that's just laughable.

15. bicketybam

23 receptions on 44 targets for 357 yard and no TD's is "more than decent?" I'll have what you're having

ouchy and Borat like this.
  16. NCJetsfan

Totally true. He may have ruined both Zach and Mims, and drove Moore away. Then there's his play calling, his rigidity and failure to adapt the scheme to the talents of his players, for not being a good teacher and for being so negative....

ouchy likes this.
  17. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

We have to be fair and admit the mistakes too. We spent two high second round picks for Moore and Mims (traded down with available Claypool next WR selected) and ultimately didn't have great production and traded away both guys still on rookie deals for pennies on the dollar. These were net losses, there is no other way to evaluate it.

18. bicketybam

We did get a second for Moore though. I call that one a wash. Mims was a complete wiff. We were lucky to get what we got for him.

19. NCJetsfan

QB - He hasn't missed on Zach yet. He's only missed in the minds of negative fans who are quick to give up on players. Even if he had run out Sam for another year and gone the veteran route earlier, where would that have gotten us? Nowhere is the answer. We may have had a winning season or two, maybe even snuck into the playoffs and been one and done, but it wouldn't have built us for sustainable success, and would have made it incrementally harder to draft our QB of the future.

WR - Mims looked pretty good his rookie season. Then Saleh and MLF were hired, Moore was drafted, and both Mims and Moore were misused and mishandled by MLF and both wanted to leave. Hmm I'm seeing a pattern there, and it ain't JD's drafting.

LT - As several others have stated, no GM is going to draft a RT when he has a huge hole at LT, especially when there's an LT sitting there who has sky high potential. JD can't help that Becton got hurt.

DE disruptor - I assume that you mean DL disruptor, and yes JD and we were fortunate that perhaps the only really good/great pick that Mac made was Williams.

Edge - Question marks, seriously? JD brought in Lawson, and it wasn't JD's fault that Lawson tore his achilles tendon. JD brought in JFM, signed Huff as a UDFA, he drafted Clemons and JJ, and now McDonald. That is probably the strongest and deepest unit on the team, and also probably the deepest and best DE unit in the NFL.

CB - Previously, Saleh had said that he didn't need a shutdown corner, and when one has holes at LT and all over the OL, at QB, at Edge and every other position group on the roster, CB may have to take a back seat for a year or two. He drafted Hall who started and looked pretty good his rookie season. He drafted (or signed as a UDFA) Echols. He drafted Sauce. He brought in Reed, and now this season Moreland who looks like a lock to make the roster.

Reed is deserving of a Pro Bowl spot.

Looking at the W-L record when he had to turn over the complete roster and had a rookie HC is foolish and not what one should consider when evaluating the job he has done.

20. NCJetsfan

Do you really not pay any better attention than that? Sherwood is precisely the type of LB Saleh wants. The HC makes roster decisions. JD is doing what he should and working with Saleh to give him the players he wants and needs to run his defensive scheme. There's a LB in SF that Saleh is looking to model his LBs after. Saleh developed that LB and believes that he can do the same here with Sherwood and others.