Did Joe Douglas do a great turnaround with Jets roster?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, Jul 31, 2023.

1. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Eh I guess. There weren’t a ton of buyers out there for Rodgers to choose from. I didn’t hear of any other teams that had serious interest unless I missed it. The Titans and Falcons were floated out there but didn’t sound like there were any serious conversations.

So it *seemed* like it was the Jets or retire. He’s been a great soldier so far, but I dunno if Douglas gets too much credit for him wanting to come here.

ouchy likes this.
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

You would have to ask to Niners.

3. bicketybam

You think he wants to come here if the roster sucks? And the roster he came to was built by Douglas. That's all saying.

hornblower likes this.
  4. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Well my point is it was the Jets or retire? If we were the 2020 Jets, do you think he’s definitely retiring over playing here?

5. bicketybam

I think he would have chosen another team to say he wanted to go to and not necessarily retire.

6. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

Because if SF had contacted NY about a trade, that's something Schefter would've reported on.

Now if you want to say, "in theory, we would've gotten a boatload of picks from SF" then sure I can get on board with that but that's not how it was presented. It was presented as fact that SF offered a boatload of picks to us for #2, which is just flat out false as there were no trade talks between SF and NY leading up to the draft.

NCJetsfan and bicketybam like this.
  7. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

There may not of been an offer sheet on the table but you got to imagine that SF would of had a conversation with the Jets on how attached they were to the #2 pick.

ouchy and KY Jets Fan like this.
  8. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It sounds like there's some truth to what you're saying but not in the way that you might think.

Albert Breer said on the Rich Eisen show on March 29th, 2021 that "I'm told that they didn't have any talks on the 2nd overall pick" (Niners/Jets part starts around 2:14 on the YT video). Sounds like Niners had internal discussions on Darnold and the Niners and Jets even had conversations about trading Darnold and that based off of those discussions the Niners got the impression that the Jets were gonna stay at 2 to take a QB.

So again, we can say things like "in theory, we would've gotten a boatload of picks from the Niners" and that would be correct but there was never an offer from the Niners for the #2 overall pick which has been corroborated by 2 high-level NFL insiders in Schefter and Breer. Obviously, in hindsight (barring some miraculous ZW turnaround), that looks like a bad move on JDs part but I'm never gonna beat up a GM too much for taking a swing at QB. Sometimes you get a Ryan Leaf, sometimes you get a Peyton Manning, but you never know until well after you make the move.

#88 KY Jets Fan, Aug 9, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
    NCJetsfan and bicketybam like this.
  9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

This is correct, and it all happened on Zachs pro day. JD watched with SF's and Philys GM (he had ties to both teams), and afterwards the trades started flying. This made some think JD told them he was taking Zach. After that smoke and mirrors pro day, the niners would have taken Zach over Lance in a heartbeat.

10. bicketybam

Well the SF front office is pretty damn good so if they were willing to give up a king's ransom to move up and take Zach, it's hard to kill Douglas for staying put and drafting him, especially when the Jets needed a QB. I still think SF trading what they did to move up to 3 to take Lance was an even bigger boner than JD taking Zach. If Purdy comes back to earth they will really look like idiots.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Even if you didn't trade the pick, which Douglas shoulda done, he didn't have to draft Zach Wilson. It was a double fuck up. We missed out on some awesome talent like Jamarr Chase, Micah Parsons, Sewell and Pitts.

12. bicketybam

Well everyone and their grandmother knew the Jets were going to take a QB. They had already traded Darnold. You really have to look at what other QB's he should have taken at 2 instead. The book is still open as to whether it should have been Fields or even Jones at this point.

13. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

The niners were on the edge of a SB win and didn't need the picks. We were in full rebuild and really needed them.

#93 ouchy, Aug 9, 2023
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2023
  14. bicketybam

So that justifies trading them all for Zach Wilson? Seriously?

15. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

The roster is much improved, even considering his horrid job with the O-line and the whiffs of Zach and his first draft a complete disaster. Still screaming about Becton over Wirfs.

Sauce/Wilson/Breece/Jermaine draft an all timer

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

JD's strong suit is the weakest unit on the roster. He really has to get the OL fixed or this whole Rodgers experiment will blow up in the organization's face.

BacktoQueens and stinkyB like this.
  17. bicketybam

Who said that's his strong suit? He did get the Wilson and Sauce right.

18. Cman68

Being an x-OL player, it was assumed he could spot OL talent. As it happens, OL talent evaluation isn't his forte after all. At least not yet. I just hope AR doesn't pay the price for having a subpar OLine protecting him.

BacktoQueens, stinkyB and KWJetsFan like this.
  19. bicketybam

Assume. You know the deal.

NCJetsfan and Cman68 like this.
  20. Cman68

Very true especially in this case...

bicketybam likes this.