Deshaun Watson Mega Thread (Volume 3)

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Brook!, Feb 5, 2021.

?

What would you give up for Watson?

1. #2 pick in 2021 Draft Only

7.9%
  2. #2 pick plus another 1st Rounder

24.6%
  3. #2 pick plus 2 other 1st Rounders

34.1%
  4. #2 pick plus 3 other 1st Rounders

5.6%
  5. To Hell with Watson. Stay put

27.8%
  1. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

No. Wrong guy.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

No they don’t, they simply need to come out of this mess with a significant amount of draft picks and cap flexibility that can build a foundation for success. And that foundation will take several years to build so they don’t need the QB immediately, although it would be great to be able to get that QB at the beginning. There is zero need to solve every hole they have, in which QB would be one, this first year post-Watson.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I completely disagree. Of course there's no way to prove it one way or the other, but seriously, game plans that actually worked to the detriment of what Darnold was good at, and relying on a over the hill RB that when he ran for more than 5 yards it was a "break away", certainly prevented them from being competitive. Gase is the worst HC the Jets have had.

4. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

You really think the Texans can go from a top 3 FQB to no QB and the fans/season ticket holders won't riot? Look at the fan push-back Joe Douglas is getting just for thinking about keeping Sam Darnold. QBs matter, and I think the Texans would be killed if they tried selling 'no QB is a good thing' to their fan base.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. JetBlue

Are you saying that if they used a pick next year that they received this year and get a franchise QB fans would be angry because they didn’t get the QB this year? Of course not. Texans fans would be the biggest fucking morons in the world to believe they are likely to get a QB as good as Watson back in the trade to be angry if they don’t — it’s hard enough to get a Deshaun Watson once. No Texans fan expects a franchise QB is coming back in return, nevertheless would demand it happen immediately as opposed to next year. That’s just ridiculous.

6. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Ho boy. Yes, this is exactly what I'm saying. IF Texans enter 2021 season with a scrub QB or no QB after having 4 years with Deshawn Watson under center, the fans would NOT be happy simply b/c the Texans 'might' be able to draft a rookie QB in the 2022 draft. Would you drop $3500 on a season ticket plus parking, beers, dogs, to watch the Texans lose all their games with a scrub QB? Neither will they.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. JetBlue

So now you are arguing they are going to have to find an established QB comparable to Deshaun Watson in order to be happy? Who exactly is that QB you think Texans fans would need to get in order to be happy? They are going to take all of the Watson assets and get Russel Wilson?

I doubt Texans fans are as unrealistic as you think they are.

no QB? Are teams allowed to actually not have a QB? What exactly are you referencing as “no QB?”

They just went 5-11 with Watson and are going to lose him. Not a single Texan fan is going into next season thinking it will be a successful season; all they want to see is the possibility for improvement moving forward, and that means clearing their cap issues and getting draft assets. Losing teams always suffer financially.

#1087 JetBlue, Mar 12, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2021
  8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

Cracks in the dam in Houston. I have a gut feeling they love Wilson. The Jets have done a great job with the media boosting the value of #2 pick.

I think the price has gone down for us. I use to think 2 + 23 + 1st Sea 22

now I think it’s Wilson + 23rd + 3rd (sea) + 2nd 22’

9. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

McClain certainly isn't budging.

NCJetsfan, Footballgod214 and Rockinz like this.
  10. Rockinz

This dude is set up for an epic fail

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Rockinz

Pretty much driving up the price for Wilson will hopefully get the deal done for Watson. We all know they will want the #2 pick but that pick is worth more and more each day. I think a huge tell tale sign is if the Texans brass shows up to Wilson’s pro day. If they are there and don’t have a pick till the 3rd round it’s obvious they are willing to deal

JetBlue likes this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I can't believe anybody could think anything else lol

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Waiting really screwed the Texans. Watson hasn’t changed his position. The only thing that’s changed is that that Texans have a worse bargaining position. Three first round picks for Watson is a pipe dream now.

Realistically, if they want to trade him to the Jets, the Texans would be lucky to get the #2 and one of (a) another first, (b) QWill, or (c) two lower round picks.

14. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

No, they will absolutely get three firsts. I would bet money on it. If not three firsts then two and a 2nd.

JetBlue likes this.
  15. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

I could see the #2 and a 2021 second. Or the #2 and the Seattle 2022 first.

16. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

unless Watson flat out tells the front office “I will only except a trade to the Jets and if not then I will sit out the remainder of my contract“ then it’s going to cost at least two first rounders and most likely three. I understand completely why the Texans would let him hold out instead of taking an unfair deal. You only trade Watson to jumpstart your rebuild and you aren’t doing that with one first round pick and a day three pick.

17. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I think that you're probably right that it will cost 3 #1 picks for Watson, but I disagree that the Texans wouldn't jumpstart their rebuild by getting Wilson at #2 and another #1 or #2 pick. If they trade Watson, they need to draft his replacement. Being able to draft Wilson (or Fields, Lance, or Jones) whichever QB they want, is a must for them to try to assuage their fanbase's anger, and to sell tickets. Not having a pick until the 3rd round this year is huge, and getting their new starting QB and either a topnotch WR, RT or OG would be a huge start for them in their rebuild. With their likely having a top 3 pick next year, if not the #1 pick, they'll be in prime position to take the best Edge available. There are many years, I would have loved to have that for the Jets (i.e., to get their new FQB, a topnotch WR, RT or OG prospect in one draft, and then an elite Edge prospect in the very next draft). It doesn't get much better than that.

Somewhere I saw that there was a package rumored to include Fatukasi. I'd hate to lose him, but if including him would save us another #1 or #2 pick, I'd do it. The Texans supposedly want a starter. So the #2 pick, Fatukasi, a #1 next year, and our 2nd this year could get it done.

Nobody said #2 and a day three pick. If anything it was two day three picks, but it also depends on what Noodle Arm meant by "two lower round picks." Did he literally mean two 5th round or lower picks, or did he just mean "lower" than the 1st round, as in a 2nd and 3rd or two 2nd round picks?

#1097 NCJetsfan, Mar 13, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2021
    NoodleArm likes this.
  18. JetBlue

Except you are completely ignoring the other team in the trade scenario and how much more they are going to value Watson instead of an unproven draft pick. There is not a single team in the league that will try to lowball a trade for Watson and risk losing him to another team.

It’s amazing how many people ignore the fact that there are other teams in this scenario who really want and highly value Watson, who aren’t indifferent about acquiring him. No team that needs a QB is indifferent about Watson and believes they are in a position to tell the Texans to take it or leave it. Not getting Watson is not a desired outcome for those teams.

19. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I think everybody is going to lowball the Texans on Deshaun Watson.

I think that's why not a single serious offer has hit the spotlight yet and the Texans have been forced to use McLain like a blowhorn to try to get the market jumpstarted at the level they want it to be at. So far zero luck on that angle btw.

There's blood in the water. The Texans gave Watson a huge deal that only made sense from the perspective that they were a contender and that the window was right now. Then O'Brien got blown out and the window vanished like smoke on the water in the morning light.

Now the Texans are stuck with a huge deal that makes no sense at all for a rebuilding team. Watson is stuck on a rebuilding team. Both sides undoubtedly want out but they need something to make that happen. That something is a team that Watson is willing to go too (and no the Jets are not that team) and an offer that lets the Texans trade him without acknowledging that the reason they are doing so is that a high cost/high profile QB is pretty useless to them right now as they rebuild their roster back up to a contending level.

I'm guessing that there are a few GM's out there right now calculating exactly how cheap Watson could wind up being when he hits the trade market for real and whether or not their roster will appeal to Watson enough for him to waive the no-trade for them.

REVISion likes this.
  20. JetBlue

Not a chance. The premise that a team will lowball offers would mean they are indifferent about actually getting him. That’s nonsensical. No team is indifferent about Watson.