Denzel Mims (Traded to Lions - Released by Lions)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by KY Jets Fan, Jul 19, 2023.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

To be fair most of us rightfully shit on him while he was still here.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Yeah and why is that

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Because he sucked?

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that you're surprised. You've been on here long enough to know that many Jets fans are all too ready to shit on Jets players if they don't produce immediately or play up to a certain level or even just because. I was a fan of Mims and I wish him the best. I hope that he becomes a star in Detroit, but realistically, no longer think that will happen. He has self-destructed in too many ways, and sadly, will probably continue to in Detroit.

5. bicketybam

He did produce somewhat in his first season. Then it was all downhill and that's when the fans turned on him. Maybe he gets it together but I doubt it. I think Moore has a much better chance of being good than Mims.

Borat and NCJetsfan like this.
  6. Bills over Jets

Bills over Jets Well-Known Member

I tend to agree with that, just saying there’s no harm in taking a free look in camp and preseason.

7. JetFanInNE

JetFanInNE Well-Known Member

Could have injured himself. Then they’d have been stuck with him

8. bicketybam

How many looks do they need? Seriously.

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Really? He’ll be 26 this season. How patient should the fans have been?

bicketybam likes this.
  10. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

He was just about to learn a double move. This stuff doesn't just happen overnight. There's science involved.

Pepsiguy5 and stinkyB like this.
  11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

There is something to the notion that MLF was part of Mims problem.

MLF insisted a Z receiver like Mims memorize the playbook for X,Y, and Z before the season even started. You can argue about professionalism but why have Mims learn the slot route trees in a year when we had Crowder, Moore and Berrios? When Mims didn't know all the slot routes he was scolded and benched until he did learn them, which not only kept him out of games but likely kept him from truly buying in. At the same time MLF, and others, were insisting Moore could play all three positions and had him line up outside more than in the slot. This ended up with both receivers hating MLF and requesting trades. MLF just seemed to have no clue how to play to players strengths, including QB. If you insist on putting the system above the talent you have to have the right players for it.

You can bet Ben Johnson is going to just line up Mims outside and scheme to his strengths.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Don’t forget sorcery. Because you know if we cut someone the Pats will pick them up and turn them into a hall of famer.

stinkyB likes this.
  13. bicketybam

And can you make the same excuse for Wilson? No? Ok then.

14. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I will. Our playcalling has been dogshit and hurt just about everyone on the team, including Wilson. That doesn't mean Wilson is good (he isn't), or Mims (he isn't either), but they underperformed in part because of our coaching staff.

ouchy likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Well, he never got a shot with Hackett and Rodgers, but it may not (probably) have made any difference.

16. NCJetsfan

I wasn't saying that I was upset that he was traded or that he didn't get another shot here. Fans can be disappointed in a player without hating him or trashing him regularly, yet that's what some fans do. Still I wasn't complaining about that. My comment was that I was surprised that Browning Nagle was surprised that fans were doing that. He's been here long enough to have seen a lot of that.

Also, did you read my post with any comprehension? It doesn't appear so. I expressed my doubts that he'd make it in Detroit, and have pointed out Mims hurt himself here in this thread. No one should have taken from that that I thought he should have stayed or been giving another chance here.

17. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Because he had more penalties than catches

stinkyB likes this.
  18. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I was in the "pro-mims " camp (mostly based on physical potential) but so far the mental aspect of the game has been his weak point and think with Rodgers at qb that will be a problem. His physical attributes will keep him in the league for awhile, especially with his willingness to block. Wouldve fit in great with the 09/10 JETS and will probably find a useful role in the motor city.... Smash dudes, and make the occasional jump ball

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I read that NE was ready to pick up Mims but JD preempted that with the trade to Detroit. Nice move

papapump and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Zach has his own issues but MLF also didn't do him any favors in his rookie season. Our pass protection was crap and MLF still insisted on running these complicated deep routes getting him creamed and likely giving him the yips. Sometimes Zach held the ball too long, but rookies tend to do that, and there wasn't any real attempt to develop him like a rookie.

21. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I think people sometimes confuse talent with athleticism. he has the athleticism but not the talent

twown likes this.