Dennis Byrd Spoke to The Team Tonight...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by swifty1021, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Where you in Section 314 when it happened? I was in 315 Row 17 Seat 4. We had seats 1-6. I think I was like 13 or 14 and I never remember being so down leaving a game.

2. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

damn i wish i was there to be part of this.

3. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

That's what will get you hurt, letting up, go hard all the time & you'll rarely get injured.

#23 jetsons, Jan 15, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2011
  4. Freeman On The Run

Yeah, thinking about it some more, I'm just being paranoid.

5. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

I was at that game. It was horrible when he was carted off. We all knew it was bad but to hear after the game on the radio that he had broken his neck was just so stunning and depressing. What a fighter Dennis is and was to walk again.

6. Frank21

Frank21 Member

Jets are going to win this motherfucka tomorrow.

7. alleycat9

alleycat9 Well-Known Member

yeah man he was one of those guys that every jets fan loved... like victor green. nobody else in the world cared about them but we loved them... and to see a guy who you rooted for go down like that and not get back up was scary. i remember i cried like a little girl when he walked out for the coin toss.

this was one of those things that made that era of being a jets fan really really dismal, more than kotite and 1-15 it was the most dismal thing from that entire dismal period of years.

8. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

Burn

the

motherfucking

Boats

Lets get this shit on already

9. Mickey Shuler 82

Mickey Shuler 82 New Member

If not us, who? If not now, when?

10. NYJets28

NYJets28 Member

Listening to a guy who was seriously injured while playing this game talk about how he wishes he could still play just one more game just further emphasizes the impact this great game has on people. There isn't a single player out there who isn't aware of ultimately what can happen to them every time they step out on a football field, yet we are all ultimately aware of what can happen each time we start a car and drive. The difference is that driving a car doesn't even compare to the rush that the competition and camaraderie of football provides. Dennis Byrd is a warrior and hearing him talk about wanting to take the field one more time would absolutely give me chills.

11. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

It is genius if it works.

I thought Byrd was living somewhat like a hermit that wanted nothing to do with Football. This was quite an accomplishment to get him to speak to the team.

12. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Man this is a great post... Byrd was one of those guys that every Jet fan loved before the injury. I think what happened to him has a greater impact on how I look at life now then I did when it happened. I think as you get older you realize the sacrifice these guys make to their bodies for a game. For me it's so much more then that, this guy nearly lost everything doing his job. It could happen to us at any time in any place. I wish there was video of him walking in inspiring these guys to go out and play their asses off tomorrow because I know I'd wanna go out and run through a fucking wall after watching it. Byrd will forever be a Jet and his life will forever be different for what happened to him while he was a Jet.

13. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

This game happened pre-www and I used to listen to games on forces radio. Bryd was already a favourite of mine and remember going to bed that night wondering how he was. It wasn't until the following Sunday when I found out how serious his injuries were.
    That Sunday all NFL players wore this logo as a tribute to Bryd.
    [​IMG]
    Still chokes me.
    Bryd forgotten??? Never.

Not bad for a bloke was never meant to walk again.
    [​IMG]

....and remember Dennis was a DT not a LB .

14. rinvesto

rinvesto Well-Known Member

Byrd's inspirational speech fires up Edwards

MANISH MEHTA, DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

FOXBOROUGH - Former Jets defensive lineman Dennis Byrd addressed Rex Ryan's crew*Saturday night at the team's hotel.

Byrd, who played four seasons with Gang Green, suffered a career-ending neck injury in 1992 that initially paralyzed him. After intense physical therapy, he eventually walked again.

"I just heard the most inspirational message of my life from former jet Dennis Byrd, who suffered a career ending neck injury," Jets reciever Braylon Edwards tweeted last night. "As God (is) my witness I have never been more ready to perform in my life. Dennis Byrd I respect, salute, and honor you."

Rex Ryan has usually delivered pregame speeches in the playoffs. But in what could be an indication of how important the Jets' coach feels today's divisional playoff matchup against the Patriots is, this weekend's honor went to Byrd, who will be at the game.

In a game against the Chiefs on Nov. 29, 1992, Byrd and teammate Scott Mersereau collided with each other while in pursuit of Chiefs quarterback Dave Krieg. Byrd ran headfirst into Mersereau's chest, suffering a broken neck, which ended his season and career.

A second-round pick by the Jets out of Tulsa in 1989, Byrd, 44, recorded 20 sacks in his first two seasons with Gang Green, including 13 in 1990. Byrd's remarkable recovery was featured in the 1994 TV movie "Rise and Walk: The Dennis Byrd Story."

Each year, the Jets give the Dennis Byrd Award to the player who is voted most inspirational by his teammates. This season's recipient was running back LaDainian Tomlinson.

15. joesmoe39

joesmoe39 Active Member

WHY?

in what way made it great?

talk is just that, talk! something this team does too much of. if the superbowl were won pregame, the jets would be the out right champs, but on the field wanabe's.

lets see all the talk backed up for a change.

16. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I sure hope he doesn't have them playing stiff again. Last time I felt like he and the team made the game too big and played stiff.

17. Cortland JET

Cortland JET New Member

I was at the Bills game the following week. It was emotionally charged - even from the Bills side. I believe we only had 3 wins going into the game but beat an excellent Bills team with a late Kelly interception (I believe it was Brian Washington). It was all for DByrd!!

I would like to see the JETS include more ex-JETS in what they do. We have had some great players over the years and they played hard and with pride. Many of them Played like a JET!!

18. MikeDevito

MikeDevito Active Member

Lets do this guys!!!!

Here we come Patsies.

19. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Seriously?? If you have to ask, theres no point in explaining.

20. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Obviously never played a down of football in his life.