Decision time for Jets, which player will benefit us more?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JetsFan, May 6, 2016.

1. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Not many QBs could have put together too many good games back-to-back with the offense we had Geno's first two years. That's not fair.

2. Greenday4537

Considering both Marshall and Decker were hurt that game, Geno putting up 27/42 (64.3%), 265 yards, 2 TDs, and 1 INT was nothing short of a miracle. He also had two rushes for 34 yards.

The defense lost us that game (Read: Antonio Cromartie getting burnt for deep TDs THREE times). Allowed Murray to average over 5.5 yards per rush.

Chris Ivory was awful.

Shit, Geno Smith was by far the best player in that game.

Footballgod214 and LIJetsFan like this.
  3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Next offseason will be the year the Jets have to trade Mo if he isn't signed long term by then. I don't think the Jets felt like they had to trade him this offseason and that's probably why they didn't.

As for this thread, at this point I don't want Fitz back at all let alone at the expense of Mo.

LIJetsFan and Jets69 like this.
  4. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Just off the top of my head but I think he had 118 catches one year with the bears.

5. Geno007

Geno007 Well-Known Member

Dude give it up like I have. No matter what you say the hate for Geno around here is off the charts. I even read on here it was Geno fault the Jets didn't make the playoffs. But Fitz throwing 3 ints in 4th quarter wasn't the reason. It was the D fault the Jets lost to Buffalo, but the way the Raiders went up and down the field on the Jets D like they wasn't there isn't the reason the Jets lost that game.

johnnysd and Jets69 like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

And then you had 3rd and 2 at Jets 21 with 4:04 to play - Smith sacked OB for -5 leading to 4th and 7 and a punt down 34-20. The sack out of bounds instead of a throwaway meant no attempt to convert on 4th down because Bowles just didn't like what he saw out of Geno on the day or the 3rd down play.

Followed by 2nd and 10 on the next drive with 2:39 to play - Smith sacked for -11 to the Jets 11 yard line. Didn't kill the drive that time but with the clock running at 2:39 Geno took a sack after retreating and the result was the 2 minute warning.

Good QB's just don't wind up folding under pressure the way Geno did on both of those drives. Neither sack was a slam-bam-thank you-ma'am with a breakaway up the middle causing the problem. Both of them should have been throwaways, potentially saving the first drive and certainly giving the Jets more time on the second.

Geno hasn't looked like a decent QB since the Atlanta game his rookie year. He's looked like a deer in the headlights over and over again since then with a few good passes and reads thrown in. Part of that was a hole in the line (LG in 2013 and 2014 plus Colon's injuries) however with a better line in front of him last year he did some things that good QB's just don't do in crunch time.

It's unlikely that he can recover to become a good QB with the Jets. Sometimes a light does go on for younger players after a few years and they get it but Geno's situational awareness and reaction time's are a bit slow to think that's what's going to happen with him. Like Sanchez propensity to throw the sideline pick 6 there are some indicators that suggest that the problem is real and systemic and that scheming to cover it up will ultimately fail as a result of that fact.

You couldn't fix Sanchez perfectly because all offenses have to throw screens and quickouts now and then to function properly and Sanchez was a risk on every one of those.

With Geno, well all QB's face pressure on a constant basis and his reaction to the pass rush is highly unpredictable and generally negative. He's the opposite of Ryan Fitzpatrick, who tends to figure things out quicker under pressure and avoid the worst outcomes more often.

DrM, Jonathan_Vilma and joe like this.
  7. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

first, for me at least... the biggest thing that stands out to me in your post is "this year". im really not focused on this year. im focused on long term sustainable success. so for me, fitz doesnt factor in and i trade mo based soley on the compensation and whether i think it will be better then the comp. pick that we get when we lose him next year. to me fitz has 0 impact on mo.

for fitz, i bring him back only if he takes 4-6 million. to me he is an extremely short term option that caps us at a really low ceiling. id say our ceiling with him is sneaking in the last wildcard spot and our likelyhood with him is where it was last year as the 7th or 8th team on the outside looking in with no playoffs. id also say there is some risk there where he doest match last seasons numbers and it has a us at a 5-6 win team in a floor scenario.

id much rather either:
    -role with a bargain basement veteran that costs us next to nothing.

or

-role with one of the young guys, likelyhood is no playoffs but ceiling is unknown and those guys may be more then just 1 year stop gap.

i guess i dont see wilkerson and fitz effecting eachother. to me you move wilk based on compensation. if we can get alot more then a 3rd rounder you probably do it and fitz doest effect that. for fitz he takes his peanuts offer or we say no.

if, i DID have to choose id take a 26 year old all-pro over a 30+ year old journeyman qb. Fitz might have mroe impact on wins as a QB, but i really dont think his production is replaceable by an average or below average level replacement. and with fitz if our defense isnt top 5 we really have no shot to do anything anyway.

but beyond that... to me the awnser is neither. you walk away from fitz without thinking twice and trade mo for whomever will give us a 2nd rounder or better

NCJetsfan and LIJetsFan like this.
  8. jerseyjay14

your year 3 number is irrelevant. a 1 game sample size can not be used as reliable data. if he went 10-25 would you be calling him a 40% passer last year?

9. jerseyjay14

i dont think we have the evidence to say the downgrade from fitz to our other qbs in monumental. petty and hackenberg are complete unknowns. and fitz didnt set the bar high with his below average season last year.

10. jerseyjay14

if i have to free up 11M to sign fitz im not doing it anyhow. that salary for him is absurd.

to me i free up enough for 4-5 million. he isnt worth 5 times more then hoyer

11. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Yeah Marshall had 9 catches for 108 yards and Decker had 6 for 60. They really gave him no help. Easily should've went over 300 yards receiving.

12. Greenday4537

Marshall only caught 9 of 18 targets

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

13. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I would imagine his lowest catch percentage all season. Definitely had nothing to do with the quarterbacks accuracy.

14. Greenday4537

I'm pretty sure he had a few drops.

15. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

And decker, Kerly and thompkins combined for 16 of 19 targets.

Definitely nothing to do with the qb, right?

16. joe

joe Well-Known Member

+1

Geno Smith has horrible pocket awareness. He stares down receivers, can't read defenses and often doesn’t shift his weight on his throws.

Missing meetings, cursing out fans, getting his jaw broken, etc., etc. Can you imagine Andrew Luck, Russell Wilson or Aaron Rodgers ever doing any of these things? Geno's 'leader resume' is closer to that of Vince "dream team" Young. Outside of a fanboy no one should want to hitch their wagon to that nag. I'm sure Geno wants to be better. I'm also sure he doesn't have what it takes.

17. Greenday4537

16 of 19 indicates he was throwing decent balls.

18. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Really? Why? Is there a better quarterback available for similar money that we don't know about?

19. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member

You talking helps long term or this upcoming season?

20. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

Well, it is hard to throw screens when you are 5'8" tall, you must admit. I am actually beginning to wonder what Geno will be like this year. Brrrrrr.