DeAngelo Hall: "Sanchez Middle Pack QB"

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Burnz, Dec 1, 2011.

1. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

You might be correct. It's not that I want elite, I just think he plays way too poor for too many stretches being a 3rd year QB who has played in lots of big games. 6 road playoff games = a full season of learning for a lot of QB's. I like Mark, I just want to see him ahead of where his is right now.

2. jetsons

jetsons Well-Known Member

Ditto....Sanchez played average as best.

3. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Are you guys serious? He had some incompletions and some balls batted down. He still completed nearly 60% of his passes, maneuvered very well within the pocket, made good decisions on when to throw it away. Remember the dance to find Conner to keep us in good FG range? We got no yards and Folk missed, but the kid is improving. Dramatically.

Not to mention his extreme toughness, the guy got leveled by a cheap shot lead with the helmet while the refs were blowing their whistles like it was going out of style. He has been creamed this season and he has taken every snap that wasn't wildcat. With QBs dropping like flies we should be happy that this guy can take a hit. You would think that people would appreciate this quality after the Pennington era...

The only 2 throws he really missed on were the 2nd and 1 PA play to Keller deep in our end of the field, and another one along the sidelines near midfield for Plax (I believe) that, if thrown better, would have been a completion. But, the defender was able to make a play on it because the receiver couldn't catch it in the numbers.

Complain about special teams if you're going to detract from the win. Jeez.

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Folk's missed FG, Kerley's fumble, poor field position, and the defense giving up 10 points on the Skins first two possessions were the reasons the Jets were down in the 4th quarter, not the QB.

Why is every first down a struggle? Why doesn't Schotty take the easy first down at least a couple of times a game after an 8 or 9 yard gain on first down???

Here are examples of the stupidity of the offensive system. Tomlinson only went in on obvious passing downs after his injury. After 2-3 times going into the game without ever doing anything but block, it was clear to everybody, including the Skins, that Tomlinson was not going to get the ball. So the Skins were free to blitz LBs on 3rd down knowing that Tomlinson was not a threat.

Going to a shotgun on 3rd and short is idiotic. Why give up the threat to run. Using a wildcat with Sanchez on the field is idiotic. It make the game 10 vs 11 because Sanchez is not a threat. Throwing two passes on 2nd and 3rd and 1 late in the game when the Jets defense needed a blow and the Jets offense needed a 1st down was idiotic. Since when is John Connor the short yardage back? Going to him once for the element of surprise is ok. Going to him 4 times in the last two games is just stupid. It takes away a blocker and makes the RB irrelevant. I could go on and on.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that ludicrous. it can easily be said that it is the QB's fault when the team has had to kick three field goals rather than having TD's on those possessions. if Sanchez is able to generate a first down on any of those FG attempts, even the miss, we wouldn't have had been down either.

but the fact is only scoring 13 points through 3 quarters is often time due to a QB's play. there are very few instances where a QB is playing great and yet only able to generate 13 points.

that doesn't mean he was awful, but let's not forget that he threw high to Holmes who was open, who had the ball knocked out of his possession, which led to the FG miss. Sanchez makes a good throw and we probably aren't talking about a missed FG. each possession is more than simply the final play of it, so you can't blame it on Folk but not Sanchez who directly led to the situation.

#125 JetBlue, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  6. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

While I agree with your analysis of Schotty's "stupid" play calling on 2nd & short, and I did not like the wildcat today, it usually is a 10 v 11 situation for the offense because the a non-running QB in a regular T or shot gun formation doesn't require someone to cover him. In the wildcat, or any type of an option type offense its more of an 11 on 11 where you have to account for the QB.

When working properly, in the wildcat, if the opposing team chose not to cover the QB when he flanks out wide, an alert option QB is supposed to get the ball to the open receiver. As you point out, do we really want to see Sanchez in that position!!!

As for Connor, I think he is becoming a good short yardage option

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Your post is ridiculous. You take the fans simplistic view that it is always the QBs fault. That just ignores so much of what goes on in a football game. Sanchez was not great today and for most of the 2nd half he was off. But in three first half possessions, he got the team 10 points. What is wrong with that? No QB is going to hit every pass. Who's to say Sanchez hits Holmes on that pass and on the next play, the RB fumbles. Is that the QB's fault? Blaming Sanchez for Folk's miss and Kerley's fumble is just a stupid as people giving Tebow credit for plays make by the defense the kicker. It is a TEAM game. Sanchez played well when it counted and won the game, which is all that matters. There is no category for style points.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Why is Sanchez so damned inaccurate in the midrange game? He seems to be high, wide or behind with his throws longer than 7 yds alot. Today's TD pass to Holmes wasn't the norm. He hit Holmes in stride and made it look easy. A lot of the rest of his midrange throws put his Wr's in vulnerable, if not impossible positions to make a play.

9. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

So what is your definition of what Philip Rivers has done this year with the ball in his hands and his team down in the fourth quarter?

10. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

This whole post is a load of crap. I find it hard to believe you typed it.

11. Joe Willie White Shoes

You are better than this. This is not one of your typical insightful posts. To say that some players are not clutch is somewhat ridiculous.

12. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

no, I didn't blame Sanchez for Folk's miss, I blamed him for having to kick the FG to begin with. huge difference between the two. apparently my post wasn't simplistic if you didn't grasp it.

simplistic is blaming a kicker for missing a FG for why we were losing in the fourth and ignoring everything else that went on in the game, nevertheless the very possession he missed the FG. only one of us making simplistic arguments and ignoring events in the game is you.

13. zace

zace Well-Known Member

Its seems jets fans always want to blame one person for all the problems. Fact is that the offense is a total team failure. Wr running poor or wrong routes, dropped passes, missed receivers, poor blocking, bad reads, idiotic play calling, and stupid timeouts. Its not just sanchez or schotty, its everyone.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk

#133 zace, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  14. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Why is it Sanchez's fault that Folk had to try a FG? After the Redskins turnover, the first two plays were runs and on third down there was tremendous pressure on Sanchez and he did a good job just to not get sacked and got a pass off to Conner that had at least a chance of getting a first down. In that instance it's not Sanchez's fault that that they had to settle for a field goal try.

While Sanchez didn't light it up in the second half doesn't mean he was the sole reason they didn't score more. Another example was the series where Keller got the chopblock penalty. On that "drive" Sanchez had a batted down pass (due to poor blocking) and then did what was asked of him. The Jets didn't execute on the two screen plays from a second and 25 situation. It wasn't Sanchez's fault that they had to punt.

Another factor was the Jets running game. It was going nowhere before Greene's last two carries. I think they were averaging well under 3 YPC until they got the lead. That had a lot to do with the lack of scoring as well.

Sanchez played OK. Nothing earth shattering, but he did enough to win. The only really poor throws that I can remember in the second half were the miss to Keller and the poor throw to Santonio. Both were "fairly easy" throws that Sanchez should have had. The one that was "almost" picked off is a throw that nearly every QB makes at one point during a game.

I am not saying that Sanchez is anything more than middle of the pack. I think that's really where he is. Of course, most third year QB's with little college experience would probably fit into that catagory (or worse).

15. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

Agreed. When the running game is not working (like it wasn't for much of the game today) the Jets are going to struggle. They take very few chances down the field and therefore every "miss" from Sanchez is really magnified (IMHO). When the run is suspect it's as if Sanchez would have to have a 70% completion rate for the Jets to have consistent success.

16. Joe Willie White Shoes

Yup. Every team a team does not score a TD on a possession, it is the QBs fault.

If Folk hits the FG and Kerley catches the punt, the Jets would have likely been winning by at least 16-13 rather than losing by the same score. Simple as that.

Let's blame the defense every time a team loses too. If the defense just didn't give up any points, the Jets would have won all 12 games played this year.

I'm not saying Sanchez is great or that he played that well. I'm just saying that posts like yours that blame him for EVERYTHING that goes wrong in a game are .......... simplistic.

17. Montana

Montana Member

Sanchez is only the 5th QB in the SuperBowl era to win 30 games, in his first three seasons.....joining Marino, Roethlisberger, Ryan, and Flacco.

He was also the youngest of the 5 when he started his rookie year, and did so with the least college experience (15 starts vs 40, 44, 29 and 38.)

Mark's still raw for his age/# of seasons he's been in the league, so growing pains are to be expected (or should be, at least)......but the data we've seen from him thus far, is still very encouraging for his potential upside.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

How are 3rd year QBs suppose to play?

Is there a conversion chart out there?

I was watching one of those fantasy football shows the other day and one of the host said there was a like an unspoken 26, 40 and 60 rule with drafting QBs. 26 Wonderlic score, 40 starts and 60% completion. Mark probably met or came close to the 26 and 60 but not the 40.

19. casman02

casman02 New Member

Sanchez has 30 wins, 9 4Q comebacks and 4 playoff road wins in under 3 years. You know, just your run of the mill QB

20. Montana

Montana Member

....and in fairness, even comparing Sanchez to past 3rd year QB's would be unfair, as 90% of them came out of college with 35+ starts under their belt.

Mark had 16.....so his learning curve is without question, going to be different then theirs.

16 starts, 28 Wonderlic score, 64.3% completion percentage.