Davis is a must have

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jtrain, Mar 23, 2006.

1. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

this may be true.

but you cannot simply ignore a player of this caliber because the TE's you chose in the past didn't succeed.

Davis has more potential than all of the past ones we drafted in R1 combined.

in a trade-down scenario, i would like selecting him in the Top 10. And why not? You think this Org. really won't address the OL problem? In fact, choosing Davis actually helps the OL because he's got size and he's a good blocker.

cheers

2. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

i'm not sure if this was posted yet, but this is the Scouts Inc. skinny on Davis.

6'3, 254, 4.4 forty

Strengths: A dynamic athlete with exceptional upside. Has rare speed and athletic ability for the position. Shows explosive initial burst to get off the LOS and the top-end speed to stretch the field vertically. He will be a matchup weapon as a pass-catcher in the NFL. Shows a good feel for reading coverages. Is remarkably savvy in terms of setting up defenders in man-coverage and finding soft spots in zone. He shows burst out of his cuts and will consistently separate in one-on-one situations. He has terrific leaping ability and will make the acrobatic catch. He has soft and reliable hands. Shows upper body strength and power at the POA as a blocker. He continues to improve his technique and angles as a space blocker. He also is a workout warrior who set school strength records (in spring of 2005) for a TE in the bench press (460 pounds), power-clean (335 pounds), vertical jump (40 inches), squat (685 pounds) and 40-yard dash (4.41)

Weaknesses: Possesses less than ideal height and bulk. Is powerful in his upper body but lacks a wide base to anchor as a blocker. Needs to improve his hand-usage, angles and overall technique as a blocker. May never develop into anything more than an H-back that needs to be protected as a blocker in space in the NFL.

I guess he's not a great blocker, however, he has potential and could learn to block with proper coaching. if this guy learns to block, he could easily be one of the best TE's in the League.

cheers

3. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

Damn, 4.4 forty?

I would love to see Ramsey throw fireballs at this guy.

If we trade down, we should seriously consider grabbing him. Never underestimate the value of a good TE. A guy like Davis could do wonders for us offensively.

Trading down, grabbing another day 1 pick (2nd rounder?) and Vernon Davis sounds like a beautiful thing to me.

If we stay at 4, we have to go Mario Williams (I think the Saints are taking D-brick) or AJ Hawk.

4. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Could not agree more. The Jets need playmakers and Davis fits that bill. Morever, he and Bush are the two "Mangini" re: NE type players that can fill multiple roles. Davis would not be a pure tight end, but would play TE, split end, slot receiver and WR. He would instantly upgrade our receiver corps and our running game by taking away teams ability to stuff the box. He will upgrade the OL. Plus, Schottenheimer is an expert at exploiting this type of talent and I am sure will make a big play for him at draft time. If the Jets could trade down a couple to the Raiders perhaps I think he is the perfect call. Jets need to draft offensive playmakers. I would not be OK with a trrade up for Leinart, but might for Bush as he could play many roles and may be the ultimate playmnaker. Get Davis in this draft! No Hawk, No Mario. NO D with first pick.

5. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I guess you are one of the distinguished few people on the Jolley bandwagon huh?

6. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

[​IMG]

OR

[​IMG]

You decide.

7. jhsensation10

jhsensation10 Member

ive been saying it all along.. davis and deangelo williams.. they will change the face of our offense and allow us to compete, even with a mediocre QB.. defenses will have trouble each week trying to defend these two playmakers... please make it happen FO!!

8. SigmaXJet

SigmaXJet Active Member

no way we take a TE that high with all our needs

9. bmfc1

bmfc1 Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, he definitely visited the Jets. I know somebody who is connected with the football team.

10. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

As a Jets fan, I will never feel comfortable with a first round TE, no matter how talented he is. He'll make some OC very happy but It won't be Schott. You just don't draft TEs in the first round when you have as many wholes as we do..

11. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

Not at #4. But if we trade down it's definately not out of the realm of possibility.

Especially based on who our OC is.

If these guys want to help Ramsey (who will be our starter by the way) develop, grabbing a guy like Davis could be a very important piece of the puzzle.

12. lightning

lightning Active Member

the only thing worse than taking vince young at 4 is taking a GOD DAMN TIGHT END!

13. Imagesrdecieving

But with all of the holes that we have you are in favor of trading our two 1st's to move up? Huh? I don't understand that.

14. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

I'm a proponent of taking Davis if we trade down-definately not at 4. If Runyan is signed, and M. Williams is taken by NO, I'm all for this. We'd get an extra 2nd rounder (most likely) to stock up on some O-Line as well.

15. UncleTomNYJ

UncleTomNYJ Active Member

I completely agree wit that. Our teams offense is not going to be saved from the depths of hell if we draft a TE!!!

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Qb is by far the most important position on the field. When you have a chance to get the best Qb in the draft, which does not happen very often, you don't pass on that chance. You could win without a great TE, not without a great Qb..

17. EvilClownFace

EvilClownFace New Member

A tight end of this caliber? I'm not so sure.

18. lightning

lightning Active Member

Hmmm franchise qb, GOD DAMN TE, franchise qb, GOD DAMN TE...no matter how good he is he's still a GOD DAMN TE!

19. Imagesrdecieving

Umm was I dreaming when Dilfer won the SB with the Ravens? Or what about Brad Johnson with the Bucs?

Yeah and Peyyon Manning is the best QB in the league. That has translated into 1 playoff win.