Dave Hutchinson...Gholston struggling to adjust

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by flgreen, Aug 14, 2008.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

How does he look as an edge rusher in your opinion? You seen him in camp.

2. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

Well, by mere coincidence, on the days it was written that he got into the backfield on a pass rush i wasnt there.

on the days i was there, I saw him blocked pretty well by brick, et al.

I am curious to see how the OLBs and DEs do tomorrow and next week. i feel pretty good about Jenkins, Harris and Barton, but more concerned about the edges.

3. winstonbiggs

I hope the coaching staff isn't holding his aggresiveness back. We need him in both Brady's and Rivers face early in the season if we are going to be a serious contender this year. The one thing I hated about our d the last two years is they started the season with very little aggression and played finesse ball until they got down the D. I hope now that we have upgraded the talent there will be a much greater premium on aggression and toughness.

4. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

After being at camp i havent wavered in my opinion that sutton is unimpressive and probably overmatched as a DC.

I know we went back and forth last season about the talent level, which i thought was improperly utilized in many instances.

Though i am optimistic about the upcoming season (I almost always am) I really wouldnt blame "talent" if things dont turn out well this year. Compared to most other NFL teams, there is enough talent on this team to do well.

5. winstonbiggs

I agree with you this is a very important season for the team and management in particular. It's now Mangini's team, he has no more excusses not to produce.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

According to Pro-Football-Reference.com Taylor started all 16 games as a rookie in 1981 and was notably unproductive. In 1982, the strike year, he had 7.5 sacks in 8 starts. In 1983 Parcells took over the team and Taylor was off and running as the best defensive player in football.

7. dubb

dubb New Member

i live in columbus and watched every game last year and he never "popped" off the screen to me...those were the quietest 14 sacks in the history of college football

8. BradyToMoss

BradyToMoss Banned

B U S T...............

No you can't have Jerod Mayo

9. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

T R O L L.

two things:

1) I would be willing to gamble any amount of money that gholston has a more memorable career than mayo.

2) they play different positions, making the comparison quite retarded.

10. Phlyphrytz

Phlyphrytz New Member

I don't know where I heard it, and it could have been months ago... but my interpretation of the Gholston signing was that the Jets were planning on taking their precious time with him, slowly adding to his playing time week by week. I guess it's the rookie QB approach?
    I think they want to ensure that he is the everydown player that they think he is. I don't think he's going to be in everyone's face the first few weeks like everyone expects. Maybe in time? But not right away.

11. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

We are not going to see the real Mangini 3-4 /4-3 hybrid defense until the real games start on 7 Sept. This stuff in pre-season is plain vanilla piecemeal with only a portion of the 1's on the field at any given time.

Hopefully we will see more of the 1's on D against Washington.

12. Force

Force New Member

Being the optimist that I am, I'm just going to assume that Gholston's inability to get to the QB says more about DBrick than it does about Gholston.

13. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I got to see him in limited action last week and he didn't look very aggressive at first but I think they are teaching him new techniques, because he was getting a lot of attention from Quinn and Cox and he looked tentative making his initial move, but it never seemed to be the bull-rush that I got used to seeing on youtube. I'm not concerned yet.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Can we have Brandon Merriweather? I hear he is AMAZING. :rolleyes: Blow it out your ass. David Harris was gotten in the second round and you'll be wishing you had him just like you (and Belichick) wish you had Kerry Rhodes.

#74 abyzmul, Aug 16, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  15. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Was it just me, or is Gholston being misused?

When he was drafted, I imagined he'd be the ROLB whose job was to kill the quarterback from the blindside.

What I saw today was a LOLB who did mostly zone coverage. How the hell is that going to help him develop?

16. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I think they are concentrating on his weaknesses for now. Then they'll let him go. But he did have to deal with all pro Chris Samuels.

I'd like to see him just bull rush the shit out of someone though for once.

17. MayoGate

MayoGate Active Member

it's official .. Your in love with Brandon .. Can't stop talking about him ..