d-line sucked

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by semperfigreen, Sep 7, 2008.

1. AussieJet

AussieJet New Member

Wish I could have watched this game in Aust... but it seems to me the D-Line played well.

:jets: :beer:

2. AussieJet

AussieJet New Member

Least I get the last 2 mins after the New England / Kansas game!

3. ATL-JET

ATL-JET Active Member

We run a 34 D, it is NOT meant for the linemen to get a lot of sacks it is a D predicated on the linemen keeping the OL off the LBs so they can wreak havoc, which is what the DL did.

4 sacks one by Ellis, a D lineman, plenty of hurries and a few knockdowns, they had Pennington rattled for the 1st 3 Qts.

The play calling in the 3rd was based on the fact that the Dolphins did not have any or 1 T.O. and sitting back and letting the QB hit his receiver under and not letting them get large gains past the DB field as to run the clock out.

I have to admit however I had my heart in my throat a couple times cause Penny looked like he was gonna exact revenge against our beloved J-E-T-S.

But I have to say your assessment could not be more inaccurate.

Plus our D is in the top 10 and the Dolphins could NOT run on us yesterday.

I think our D did good.

#63 ATL-JET, Sep 8, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2008
  4. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Four sacks -- Bryan Thomas had two, for all you long-suffering BT bashers.

Ronnie and Rickie couldn't break 90 yards between them.

Whoever doesn't think that's a dominant DL performance in a 100 degree / 80% humidity soupbowl full of dirt, then they need to have a brain wash.

5. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It is really amazing how one person could watch the same game that everyone else did yet see it so differently. The Dline played the best I have seen since maybe the sack exchange, Jenkins did his job to perfection, Ellis was a beast, Pace(not Dline but) looked like a younger, bigger, stronger, faster Mo Lewis, Bryan Thomas played his best game as a Jet.

I have been trying to contain my enthusiasm about the Jets D until I saw them in action but this D has the potential to be dominant. The prevent D has to go though, I do believe the play calling had a lot to do with the heat, the D was spent at the end.

6. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

Quote: "...I do believe the play calling had a lot to do with the heat, the D was spent at the end..."

Now, I think you've got a damned good point there. If you noticed how all the players (Miama and NYJs) seemed to be "coasting" out there on most plays, then you realize that they were marshalling their energy for when they really needed a burst to close a play out.

This was a well-played game in the 4th qtr. and the coaching staffs were doing their damnedest to win and not get beaten by the weather.

7. NewestJetFan

NewestJetFan New Member

Sucked? Not at all, very fine effort but play calling could be improved. Should have sent some pressure in the 4th.

3rd and 7 and calls for a run--playing not to lose rather than playing to win.

How does Graham even kick a 20 yarder and he's the holder? Put a new holder out there with no practice and with a substitute kicker in a real game, doomed for failure.

8. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

=+1. Don't trip over your red tipped can on the way down the stairs.......

9. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Did you watch the game? Where is all this negativity coming from on this board today (particularly against the defense)? The Jets thoroughly outplayed the dolphins on both sides of the ball.

10. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

OP is nuts for even mentioning D-line and suck in the same sentence. This D-line was night and day compared to last year. Any perceived suckiness was due to it being hot as ballz in miami. Did I mention it was hot?