Cutler for pick #17

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by zeike, Mar 16, 2009.

1. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Cutler's not that good. I'd rather see what we have unless the price is right. He has a great arm, questionable leadership, and questionable decision making. People can stop drooling.

2. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

dude...not trading for Cutler because you dont want to miss out on nicks is fucking retarded. That was my point. Now, that aside, Cutler for the 17 as the OP asked, is an absolute no brainer that not a single GM in the league would not make. Regardless of your opinion on Cutler

3. MikeSLTJ23

I don't see why it's such a no-brainer? I agree with your point, but that's if your assessment is the same as a scout's. I'm not convinced teams think the same way as the fans do. Sure, he puts up numbers, but that's the offense he's in. He doesn't fit this offense because he's not the ball control type. He makes questionable decisions and is essentially another Favre. Cutler is a great fantasy QB. With that said, I don't mind going into the season with the #17 pick, drafting a WR, and seeing what we have in Clemens and/or Ratliff. Seems like no one really likes the kid. There's something to be said for leadership and being a part of a team. Cutler seems to be all about himself. I used to like the kid and respect him for overcoming diabetes. Now I see him as a cocky SOB who thinks the world of himself and could care less about his team.

4. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

no, you won't, but i'd consider throwing thomas jones into the deal.

much easier to replace a rb.

5. jonnyd

unlike Mangini, other coaches, good coaches run an offense or defense around the talent they have. Our running game is solid. Not great as many on this board think, but solid. That doesnt mean we cant bring in a Cutler and have a passing game as well. Yes, we would need to bring in a deep threat WR to reap all the benefits of Cutlers arm-and we can do that hopefully in this draft. We dont need to have the #17 to find a good WR....However you grade Cutler, unless youre being very unfair-his abilities are greater than a very large % of the guys we may end up with drafting #17.

6. NY Sack Exchange7

NY Sack Exchange7 New Member

Nicks does look like a damn Monster though! Very impressive at the combine. As to Cutler, he has had Big shoes to fill in Denver, always compared to Elway, but if he came here, no such problem! Neil O'Donnell wouldnt scare him much I think.

7. MikeSLTJ23

Right, but with that comes the cost of having Cutler, which is more than the #17 pick. I agree with your assessment of the running game, but it's clear that we're geared to still be a run first offense. And while I don't discredit the need for a good QB, certain QBs just fit systems better than others. I don't think you're going to see us trying to emulate the Cardinals offense next year, because we don't have the personnel for that kind of offense. Cotchery is very good WR, best suited for a ball control offense. Our best guy to stretch the field right now is Keller. Sure, you can throw Clowney in there, but the guy hasn't seen the field yet.

The whole point is that this team is built to win with its defense. Running an offense through Cutler can put up some highlight reel plays, but it's just a riskier offense than running a ball control offense. The goal is to give the defense every chance to win the game. By putting them on the field more and more, giving the opposing offense a short field can lead to trouble. If we have the players to stretch the field and spread it out, I'm all for a guy like Cutler. But I don't want to run a dink and dunk offense through Cutler. Not saying our guys are the ones to do it either, but there's better fits for the offense I'm expecting us to run next year. If it's a run and gun offense, hell, he's great for that. I'd still like to give our young guys a shot personally, but that's more because I think Cutler has lost too much respect and would be a detriment in the locker room than anything else. I don't think you can underestimate the importance of that. If all these reports are wrong and he's such a great guy, then fine, I'm all for it. But I've heard nothing but bad things from people that don't feel compelled to root for him (I don't mean that to sound coarse, but I think a lot of people's affinity for him stems from their wanting him to succeed because of his diabetes...a tremendous accomplishment, but it doesn't change the person that he comes off as).

8. MikeSLTJ23

No but Neil still scares us.

9. NY Sack Exchange7

NY Sack Exchange7 New Member

LOL! Nicely done!:smile:

10. SettlerDawg

SettlerDawg Well-Known Member

Cutler has a great supporting cast around him. Brandon Marshall and Eddie Royal are two great wide receivers who compliment each other very well. They are much better than what we have now, as well as what we had when Coles was around. The Broncos also have a close-to-elite offensive line, which helped a random fullback gain over 100 yards against us last year while protecting Cutler. I'm inclined to think that Cutler has benefited from a good cast surrounding him, and an offensive game-plan that caters to his strengths. I'm not a fan of trading for this guy, especially considering the fact that he's extremely sensitive (imagine him dealing with the NY media and NY fans).

Good teams implement a consistent gameplan, and develop players that will excel in the gameplan. Joe Flacco is a good qb because he fits into the Raven's gameplan. He doesn't make too many reads, and he isn't asked to throw the ball too often. The Ravens have effectively hidden his flaws. We will be implementing a similar offense that emphasizes conservative decision making over improvisation. If we trade for Cutler, we will be wasting his talent (although I'm one who believes he isn't all that talented).

Stick with Ratliff or Clemens. Tell them to stand tall within the pocket and make good decisions. They don't have to carry the team, they just have to direct the flow of our offense. 20-25 throws a game, max. The 17th overall pick is great because we can get a good player who won't cost $50 million. It's cost effective, and if we want to be a good team, we need to be able to scout for lesser talent and develop the talent to fit our team. Pittsburg, New England, NYG, Philly, and Indianapolis are model franchises that we need to emulate.

11. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

Well said. I completely agree.

12. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Cutler for our 1st round pick would be as huge this year as the Favre trade was last season.

I want Cutler, even if it did cost us our 1st this year and next.

All we would be giving is the #17 and a pick in the 24 to 32 range (for next year).

With Jay at QB and our new coaches and revamped defense we would make it at least to the second round of the playoff this season.

13. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

I, too, would jizz in your pants if we could get him for #17

14. jonnyd

I agree about the Defense but why cant we have an awesome defense AND a somewhat more explosive Offense? We get Cutler, We have Cotch as a solid #2, Keller a real weapon in his hybrid type role and we're just one big burner away-----or maybe we already have one in Clowney

15. doug4563

doug4563 Member

Cutler for the #17 is a no brainer. Previous draft results have indicated that the chance of success in the first round is no better than 50%-50%. So all you anti-trade the 17th pick people would rather flip the coin on an unproven college guy instead of a pro-bowl QB??

That being said, I don't think Denver would trade Cutler for the 17th pick, I think it would take a lot more to pry him loose.

16. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Cutler is a big baby that can't handle the pressure. He's acting like his wife was sodomized because the Broncos considered trading him. He's got no backbone, he's a spoiled athlete and could never last with the ass hole media in NY. And I am not mortgaging the future because its going to take more then # 17. . DEFENSE BABY!!!!!!