Countries You Have Visited

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by Brook!, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

To me all US airlines suck. They are way behind the Asian airlines mostly. I fly United due to Newark being their hub. Don't like to cross the bridge to go to La Guardia or JFK.

barfolomew likes this.
  2. Brook!

Thanks Ralebird. As I plan this thing later in the summer I will ping you and ask a few questions then. Your bold statement is so true my friend.

Ralebird likes this.
  3. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I don’t blame you at all for that. I did the same when I lived in nj. Happy to be in ATL now. The airport is great

Brook! likes this.
  4. Brook!

I know. 15 years ago I travelled to ATL every month due to work for roughly 1.5 years. I still think ATL is superior to all other US airports.

barfolomew likes this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I did NY-Hong Kong nonstop coach. I forget how long the flight was, but was in the neighborhood of 14-16 hours. Was lucky enough to get an exit row but the airline, Cathay-Pacific, had these weird seats that wouldn't go back. They would only slide forward into a slouching position. It was terrible. I usually don't sleep very well on a plane, but this was impossible to get any shut eye.

I love to travel, but have developed neuropathy in my old age which makes sitting for any length of time very uncomfortable. When I fly out to the West Coast to visit my son's family, I have to pony up extra $ for business or first class for the extra space and leg room. I wouldn't mind except for the disparity in fares. It's about $1400 first class to SFO but only about $200 coach.

Brook! likes this.
  6. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

You can read minds?

westiedog1 likes this.
  7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Most airlines let you buy "extra space" seats that have legroom similar to business class. Price depends on flight length - usually $30 - $75. If you need extra width, you're probably out of luck.

westiedog1 likes this.
  8. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Seatguru.com is a lifesaver. I never make a reservation for something I'm not familiar with without checking there first. On just about any plane with two central exit rows the one in front will benefit from extra legroom but will not recline so it won't infringe on the exit capability of the row behind it; I suspect that's what you encountered on CP. That info would be noted at seatguru. Passenger comments there can steer you in the right direction.

westiedog1 and barfolomew like this.
  9. westiedog1

Thanks, I am aware of extra room seats and have used them for domestic flights. Still prefer up-level seats if they're not too expensive going out to the Coast. Just makes the flight a lot more comfortable, which goes without saying, but you also get room to put a backpack under the seat in front and still have room for your feet to stretch out. You don't get that even with extra space seats. My wife's family lives in Chicago, so when we go there, I don't care where I sit because a 2 hour flight my feet can handle.

10. westiedog1

Thanks again. I have used seatguru.com. One thing I've had to be cautious about is not all first class seating meets my requirements. For example, first row, first class on Alaska doesn't give you better leg room because the bulkhead is right there. Same seat on Jet Blue is okay because they provide a well for your feet to stretch out.

As for Cathay-Pacific, I think all the seats functioned the same way. I heard a lot of the people in my travel group complained as well, and I believe they have been changed back to the traditional seat back seating since. This goes back about ten years.