Could we really not afford Edwards?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by supersonic, Aug 10, 2011.

1. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

Yes, yes, not sure.

There are off field risks with both Holmes and Edwards but we really don't have enough information to assess them. There's a ton of off the field stuff that the Jets and other NFL teams know, from observation, from hiring private eyes (they all do that), from credit reports, from rumors and other players, that we don't know.

The fact that Edwards got such a small contract for a player of his obvious on the field skills suggests that the entire league took a gimlet eye to his off-the-field activities.

2. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Tannenbaum confirmed the FO had no interest in Braylon on the Kay Show this week.

He said something like "Braylon needed a fresh start" or "Braylon is getting a fresh start in San Francisco".

So reading into it a little bit, the FO was sick of him.

3. Trifco

Trifco New Member

Probably it has to do with the fact that whatever Holmes did, it wasn't while he was a jet. Same with Plax and Cro (I don't think Cro belongs in here, but just in case) and that druggie guy we drafted.

You could say they all were given a second chance to start from scratch in a jet uniform, Braylon included, but Braylon blew it.

4. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

All he had to do during the lockout/offseason was stay out of trouble. What did he do? Crashed a $100K car at 4 AM and instigated a bar brawl that ended with somebody getting stabbed.

5. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

True, but Braylon is probably looking at a suspension this season and Holmes is not. Actually, you have to wonder why Braylon hasn't already been suspended. He pled guilty to the DUI, so there is nothing in question on that issue. Is the league office waiting for the probation violation and fight info before making a decision?

6. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

You said in post 12:

"And ftr I know of no source that says that Edwards was insisting on the same numbers as Holmes."

I posted a link to Cimini saying Braylon did in fact want to be paid on par with Holmes. I've heard this from other reporters too back at the start of the off season. Really, I don't know how you missed it.

Now you're crying about "A GOOD SOURCE" rather than "A SOURCE". Who the fuck do you want to hear it from, Santa Claus?

#86 Organized Chaos, Aug 11, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2011
  7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I am not crying. WHat is your problem? The assertion was that Edwards wanted the same numbers as Holmes got. Cimini did not say that Edwards was insisting on $10 mil a year, with $24mil guaranteed.

And Cimini IS a questionable source. Imo. Feel free to say otherwise.

Frankly this has been cleared up to my satisfaction. Keep crying if you want to.

And I don't believe in Santa Claus, so obviously not.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Not that I'm arguing with either of you, but I think Cimini has done enough to damage his own credibility in the eyes of readers to have his status as a credible source called into question whenever need be. He may be a beat writer for the team, and have better access than many of his colleagues, but he has also proven that he will manipulate quotes from their context and rush things to print without researching or checking his facts, in order to get the ire of readers to obtain more hits to his articles. He has also shown that he will provide a personal opinion about the team and slander a player with it.

I suppose credibility is in the eye of the beholder, oh well.

9. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Again, the guaranteed money is what counts. I'm not sure if you're intellectually dishonest or just fucking retarded since I've explained this to you already and you keep repeating the same invalid arguments like you're stuck on stupid.

It's pretty lame to cry for a source, have someone take the time to get you one since you're fucking clueless about the topic, then cry that you don't like the source. All you asked for was a source in your original post. I provided one. There were plenty back at the start of the off season saying Braylon was looking for #1 WR money, with maybe a small discount for the Jets.

Bottom line, Braylon wanted a multi year contract worth about what Holmes was going to be getting at the start of the offseason.

10. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Cimini IS a questionable source. And no one has submitted a reliable source that Edwards was demanding the same money, guaranteed or otherwise, that Holmes got.

I would like to have a hundred million dollars given to me. Am I demanding it from my boss? No.

That's the second time you felt it necessary to curse at me. Get over yourself. It's only a football discussion, not sharing opinions about how well your mother works the corner at night.

11. zombo

zombo Member

I like Edwards. I really think the Jets jumped way too fast from trying to bring Edwards back. As the days passed and more teams passed on him, his asking price kept coming down. The Jets could have gotten him at a decent price. They knew Cotchery wanted out all along. Between the money from cutting Cotchery, Mason's money, and Plaxico's, there was enough there. We all knew Edwards was not getting that big money. Would he really have scoffed at 5 years, $20 million with 10 of it guaranteed? No. The cap hit could have been worked out to not be too bad. I'll take Holmes and Edwards over Holmes, Mason, and Plaxico any day of the week.

12. colleen74

colleen74 Member

One more time....... because if this post helped it all make sense to ME --a silly girl (or in Mr. E speak 'cunt') who should be in the kitchen right now cooking my husband dinner-- then certainly it should help others who still seem to be struggling with events long since transpired.

#92 colleen74, Aug 12, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  13. sbx213

sbx213 New Member

Last time. Why is it so hard to understand he had off the field issues?? Many teams, including the Jets, passed up on him because of the legal issues. Nobody wants to deal with it. End this please.