Could we really not afford Edwards?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by supersonic, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

I haven't followed the case closely enough so I'll ask...how likely do you guys think it is that Braylon will get a multi-game suspension?

As for the FA situation:

I feel we pretty much took a stance this summer consistently and said we're going to offer X amount of dollars or ask you to take a pay cut (for players under contract).We stood our ground.Some guys I felt deserved slightly more (Ellis) but at the end of the day,I cant be mad.We were consistent across the board.Fact of the matter is,Braylon thought he would get #1 receiver money.Maybe not Holmes money but not too far off it.We rightfully called his bluff.Now I do feel we were impatient and signed Plax too quick to replace him.I felt there were other guys we coulda considered or even made Braylon give in.Rex saw Plax workout (I believe on tape) and was impressed so I can't be all too mad with that.No way,however,does he deserve the numbers that were being thrown out there. Also,some of ppl are under the delusion that his number for us was the same that he signed with the 49ers.I'm almost sure if we could get him for that contract,he'd probably be a Jet.Him and Cotchery both played hardball and probably lost.

2. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I think even Michael Vick would've stopped beating this dead horse by now!

3. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

:rofl:

Not thats just fucking awsome.

4. Jet_Blue

Jet_Blue Member

WTF. Three?

I haven't seen any others.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Cotchery was under contract; you don't need to sign a player that is already signed.

6. Franchize

Franchize Well-Known Member

Could we somehow get Cotchery back? lol Not saying we should or shouldn't but do you guys think it's a possibly?You think he'd come crawling back for the minimum and if so, would we sign him? Furthermore,after all the drama,would you want him? I actually would. He'd be behind Jerri-Kerl but he'd be a good insurance plan in case someone gets injured.

I think he'll end up in Arizona.

#66 Franchize, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  7. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

Braylon Edwards...fork him.

8. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

You can't look at the salary SF offered and draw the conclusion that the Jets could sign Edwards to a contract only slightly better. If SF made this exact same offer to Edwards as soon as the FA period started, he would've probably laughed his ass off.

Looking back: we see that not only were the Jets and Edwards unable to come to an agreement when FA started, but the Jets front office had to deal with .... trying to sign Aso & then recovering to get Cro after being rejected, and deal with Cotchery wanting out, and struggling to hold onto Ellis.

Edwards chose the wrong time to play hardball when it comes to his contract because the front office had too many pieces in motion to stand pat. After the Jets signed Plaxico, and then Edwards stupid bar fight, and the whole league is ignoring Edwards .... that was the moment he was willing to consider that cheap contract from SF which he would've never taken seriously when FA period started.

9. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Let's face it, the lock-out and subsequent short period FA signing frenzy made for a bizarre off-season. There are many things that happened that would not have happened under normal circumstances in any other year.

10. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Considering he asked for the release, that defies logic.

11. Organized Chaos

Organized Chaos Well-Known Member

Ok, let me make this simple.

What money matters in a contract? The guaranteed money. Holmes got 5 years for 24 mil.

Quick math question, what's five million times five?

Regardless, there is your source, so now you've heard one.

12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Someone has no idea how Holmes' contract was structured...

13. alwaysthejets

alwaysthejets New Member

This is a good point, now that I think about it. Holmes was in the slot-- or started in the slot-- during the Houston game when he scored that TD in the last minute, wasn't he?

They could very conceivably be thinking about putting him and Keller on the inside with Mason and Plax on the outside during certain plays, even, now that we think about Tom Moore's play design in the past, couldn't they?

Lots of flexibility, given his skill set, for sure.

jenkinsthebeast- Rex said last week "Tanny is in the know of all," but, given we didn't even get to a point that we brought Braylon in for a physical, and it doesn't even sound like we were ever to a point where a deal would have been imminent, I have to wonder if Braylon would have disclosed that info voluntarily, I sort of don't think he would, and thus, how would Tanny have any idea about him suffering from some sort of injury, but who knows.

14. Trifco

Trifco New Member

I still believe it doesn't matter how much money Braylon wanted... the FO wasn't interested.

Like people here said Ellis was dead to them the day he signed with the pats, Edwards was dead to the FO the day he got the DUI.
    The team gave him a second chance when they signed him last year and he blew it.

It was posted many times in this forums at the beginning of the season that Braylon and Santonio would be competing to see who would clinch the big contract, almost everybody agreed that off field conduct would have a huge weight in the final decision.
    Then, after the DUI, there were many posts in here assuming that that was it, that Santonio had won the race that day.

Then, we thought that it wasn't a big deal and we assumed that the FO saw it the same way, but the truth is that the FO never mentioned anything positive about him after that. Both players had great performances on the field but the praise was always directed at Holmes.

This off-season Braylon was totally ignored.

So I think it was not about the money. I think that if the jets extended him an offer, it was low enough that they knew that he wouldn't accept it. We didn't wanted him.

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Tanny wanted to add a clause to Braylon's contract forbidding him from slapping women, sucker punching midgets, or stabbing bouncers.

So Braylon signed with SF.

16. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

Lol look right below your last post. Excellent timing

17. Steve032

Steve032 New Member

No I don't think so. We ate a good chunk of money when we released him and we'd essentially be paying him more than his original contract if we re signed him. I believe the Jets wanted him to take a paycut originally so I don't see why they would agree on a new contract with him

18. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

And what was the guaranteed money Edwards was demanding?

Ftr, it is silly here to speculate on what was his demand and then say that is what he was demanding. Unless you have a good source, I suggest you identify your speculation as that and not a fact.

19. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Experts man

20. BadgerOnLSD

BadgerOnLSD Banned

Holmes is a piss test away from a season suspension. He's no Boy Scout, and not significantly less of a risk than Edwards.