Could we really not afford Edwards?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by supersonic, Aug 10, 2011.

1. alwaysthejets

alwaysthejets New Member

Braylon, really is not more versatile, I don't think, and...

Schotty and Ellard said just a couple of days ago that they're "force feeding" Tone a boat load of information, because he's going to have an expanded role going forward, and maybe not immediately to start the season, but he's going to-- eventually-- know all three WR positions in our system inside and out-- and play all three WR positions interchangeably.

Lots of WRs don't necessarily move around often between X, Y, and Z in their systems... Sounds like they're going to expect Holmes' to do so, sounds like they expect Holmes' versatility to eventually give us a competitive advantage and work with scheming against defenses. Get the vibe from the coaches he's by far more versatile than Edwards. I mean, to hear Schotty and Ellard tell it anyway, sort of seems so.

And, yeah, Braylon just tweeted the other day, to a fan, the Jets were disrespectful expecting him to take a one year discounted deal.

On top of that... Did nobody read the man's comments when he said he wasn't playing for the Jets on a one year deal, he'd already proved himself, he'd have to, "keep it moving" if they offered him a one year deal. I sort of feel like people pick and choose what to take in to account when they factor in the myriad of issues that could have stemmed from dropping $50M on Tone and asking Braylon take a one year deal, for way less than $10M a/yr. Things like Braylon's own comments.

I mean, even Mark said the other day... The important thing he keeps in mind when working with Plax and Mason is that... "I've got my guys. Tone's going to be my guy. Dustin's going to be my guy. Kerley's going to be my guy. Those are my guys for the long haul, the other guys are just here to help us win immediately." Can anyone imagine the drama if they'd have had Braylon short term, while they're coaching Tone up on all of the WR positions, preparing for him to eventually take on some expanded role, and Mark is talking about "his guys for the long haul" and relationship building with them, and... Begging for conflict, among other things.

Braylon told some SI reporter that he was only deciding between Arizona and SF. The Jets weren't even... I don't get the vibe there is good blood there. Really don't.

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

At the time he signed we hadn't signed Mason. If he really wanted to play here we could have signed him for close to what we signed Mason for. I'm guessing we didn't want him on the team.

3. Klaus Casanova

Klaus Casanova New Member

This is probably closest to the truth. After the most recent championship loss, Mark Sanchez went out for drinks with Edwards. He almost certainly spent time with the group of friends that Edwards chooses to associate himself with in times of alcoholic revelry.

Is it even out of the question that Mark Sanchez had something to do with who the Jets chose as a premier receiver? There was a notable lack of support from Sanchez in reference to wide recievers during the free agent period. It may be that the supporters of Edwards should be focusing their anger toward our starting Quarterback.

4. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

If that had been Edwards' demand [at he start of the free agency], don't you think Tanny would have kept him?

Rex has publicly said times and again, how he wants Bray back on this team. Remember, you are playing a dangerous game here - the more you wait, the less share of the pie you get. That's the risk. In case of Braylon, he stiffed the Jets initial offer - after which Jets moved on with Plax. As you can see, Braylon took that risk then lost. What's so difficult to understand?

5. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

It would have been nice to have Braylon back, since he's a physical beast, a great run blocker, and a hell of a receiver, BUT his off the field issues are big red flags. Anything he does can get him a year in jail. You can't be asking for 7-8 million when you can't even get your act together. I would have loved to see him on the team for 4-5 mil for one more year, but I think we made the right choice in letting him go.

I'm not a fan of Plax or anything, but at least we don't have to worry about him going back to jail.

#45 AarontheJet, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  6. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

Quoted again to get it on the second page.

7. ........

........ Trolls

I can certainly lend more credence to the reporters who have been paid to cover Edwards for nearly the past two years than to some random fucktard in the desert.

Wait a minute...so we can't speculate that he wouldn't have taken 5 for 25 million...even when it was reported...because only he and his agent can say that? And yet, you are perfectly free to say that he absolutely would have accepted that value from the Jets? You're also able to speculate about what he thought at that point? The fuck?

It's not "by all accounts" that he 'desperately' wanted to be a Jet. Reports were that he was willing to take a small discount to play with the Jets. He wasn't 'desperate'.

So...again...we can't speculate about what Edwards wanted or was looking for...but you're free to. Got it. Again, the ONLY reports about what he was seeking from the Jets have stated that he wanted Holmes money. As far as #10's contract, while I don't recall that conversation, I didn't think Holmes would command quite so much. I figured he'd be looking at $8 million per. I was wrong.

8. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I think we'll see Holmes in the slot on a lot of 3 WR formations, he has the perfect skill set for it.

9. Jet_Blue

Jet_Blue Member

Hello Jets people, I'm tired of lurking and wanted to add my 2 cents worth here in a first post.

I'm sure Tanny would have liked to keep Edwards at a reasonable price. But that became very risky with his legal issues. Unfortunately, his own pride got in the way of him staying here and in hindsight now, we all know the Jets could have afforded him. I'll bet he regrets it now.

It's really too bad, as we know he's taken a dump on his NFL future.

10. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Holy shit this forum now has 3 different jet blue's.

11. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

There really is only one to look out for. He puts out some scathing retorts if he sees a retard.......great stuff.

12. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

braylon was not deemed to be somebody that was worth risking #1 or #2 wr $ on. he's an immature, irresponsible boozebag that will not age well and is 1 screw up away from being locked up. they certainly had reports on what Bray's activities were/are. And btw - i didn't see a bunch of Jet players expressing dismay at Bray not returning.

13. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Braylon is a great pass rusher?

14. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

Yeah I know which one you mean but I always forget if he is the one with the space or without.

15. AarontheJet

AarontheJet Active Member

Run blocker.

My bad, I was listening to that idiot Jamie Dukes talk about Osi and it totally gave me a brainfart.

16. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

All one word no space.

re: Rapelessberger:

[​IMG]

#56 Miamipuck, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011
  17. lax7

lax7 New Member

he wasnt worth what he wanted.

he was really good and i would have loved to sign him but signing him just wouldnt be worth it.

instead we can take that money and sign more people plaxico and mason, and like resigning pool which i dont like.

i think they want to have these guys for one year and use a first round pick for a good
    quality receiver that will be a guy that will come in long term. (imo)

18. jwmann2

jwmann2 New Member

They could have but why would you pay him that? Team should have made more of an effort to sign Cotchery, though. The Jets are loaded, you all have nothing to worry about.

19. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

I think he was a pain in the ass behind the scenes as well with some off the field shit, There's more that meets the eye then they have let known.

20. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Tanny know something that no one else knows?