Could we make a trade for Stewart?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetscrazy87, Mar 19, 2012.

1. VanderbiltJets

VanderbiltJets Active Member

"The inclusion of the option clause gives the Panthers protection in the event they are unable to re-sign Stewart next year. The Panthers also could look to trade Stewart before he enters the final year of his contract, although multiple team sources think that scenario is unlikely."

http://www.cincyjungle.com/2012/3/1...ption-clause-gives-the-panthers-protection-in

"Multiple team sources" tell the Charlotte Observer that Jonathan Stewart is "unlikely" to be traded despite the Panthers' addition of Mike Tolbert.
    The Panthers will face a tough decision when Stewart enters 2013 free agency, but for now they're poised to keep him along with DeAngelo Williams and Tolbert. Tolbert will likely shoulder some of the load on passing downs, and cover kicks on special teams. Stewart and Williams will be the primary backs. The Panthers could consider cutting Williams and re-signing Stewart next offseason, although releasing DeAngelo would cause a roughly $5 million cap hit in 2013.

http://rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4650/jonathan-stewart

2. laxin

laxin Active Member

That is one crowded backfield. I hope these reports are wrong, but it looks like Stewart is staying as of now. I wouldnt even mind trading a late round pick for Goodson, he’s easily better than 2/3 of our RBs and would provide a 3rd down back.

IMO, RB is the most overlooked hole by this fan board. We are supposed to be a ground and pound team, yet teams like Carolina have 3 RB’s better than all of ours...

3. wildaces

wildaces Banned

Seriously? Who is a more sure thing in the 3rd round? A proven back in the NFL or any other other unproven player in the draft.

4. laxin

laxin Active Member

People have misconceptions with these trades... If we give up one mid round pick for a starter and potentially a player that could put our offense back on track, we are not screwing ourselves. We are getting a proven player in return for a pick that we could very well end up drafting someone that will never contribute.

Thats why the Holmes trade was good and even the Cromartie trade. It was a one for one deal. We werent giving up multiple picks for one guy. As long as a trade is one pick for one player, it does not effect our depth.

The only problem with a trade like this, is that Stewart is in his contract year... But even then, we would still get at least a 4th rounder for him if he left in FA. In my eyes, its a win win win as Michael Scott would say.

5. laxin

laxin Active Member

Per Evan Silva again:

ESPN's Pat Yasinskas expects #Panthers to move on from either DeAngelo Williams or Jonathan Stewart before the draft

So mixed signals on this whole situation. Im hoping Tanny is on the phone inquiring about this... You know as he would put it, “leave no stone unturned”

6. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

Yes, seriously. I said I would love to have him, but he doesn't fill the needs that are screaming to be filled.

And I did say it would be tempting if he could be got for a 3rd.

7. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

8. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Jonathan Stewart is a beast of a running back. Sick runner and sick receiver.

He can pretty much do it all outta the back field, If we can get him for a 2nd or 3rd i say we do it and do it quick.

9. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

Agreed, i would LOVE this move perhaps more then signing a FA like Bush/BJGE

With them signing Tolbert i dont see how they keep Tolbert/Stewart/DeAngelo unless they are going for a lethal backfield

10. Rawrk

Rawrk New Member

yes please.

PLEASE. give this guy the money and more that we'd have given to greene next year.

11. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Give up a 2nd, for a guy we cant afford to re-sign ?

Not to mention carolina seems to want to dump williams

12. dmarz45

dmarz45 Well-Known Member

why wouldnt they.. they overpayed him immensely last season and he sucked ass..

13. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

I like Stewart a lot as a back, and I'd love him as a Jet, but it's hard to give up resources in terms of picks AND cap space for yet another runningback. At least if we draft an RB, we control him for a few years at a cheap price.

14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Excellent point. Now the question is: if the Jets got Stewart would it mean that Greene was on the way out? That's how it looks to me. Can't pay both and not sure they want to pay Greene anyway at this point.

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

If we are going to be a run first, second and forever team then we better figure out a way to pay a top tier runner..

16. laxin

laxin Active Member

Do you mean once their contracts are up?

Because if so, I would imagine we would let Greene walk and resign Stewart at all costs. We would probably end up getting a 4th round compensation pick for Greene and that would help net the pick we might give up for Stewart.

A good thing, if this were to happen, is that their production wouldnt be as high as if they were the lone back so the asking price for each shouldnt be as high.

Like Don said, if we want to be a ground and pound team, we NEED a #1 back and eventually are going to have to pay him.

17. Chrebet Fo' Ever

According to ESPN (would post link but not at 50) a Panthers press release has Tolbert listed as FB(!?) so they might be more inclined to keep all their RBs and use them with Tolbert at the same time.

That said they have A LOT of backs and considering Stewart's deal they might as well get something out of it.

Would love to see him on the Jets if the price was right has flashed osme real potential but has been chronically underused with the RB heavy (+ Cam Newton!) Panthers

18. Jetfanmack

Jetfanmack haz chilens?

Depends how much Greene would make. We'd have them both this year, and then we'd have a decision to make with Greene. Chances are, he'd be let go. It would all depend on how the year went. If he and Stewart give us a top running game, with Stewart as the main guy, we'd try to keep Greene. At the same time, he might get priced out, and we may want a better pass catcher in there.

This is the type of deal Tanny likes to make though, using trades in deals to get players. Jones, Holmes and Cromartie were all acquired this way. Maybe we do it with Stewart. If it costs a 3rd or less, it's worth considering, but it would have been nice to hit big on one of these mid-high round RBs we've been taking lately and not have to rely on other teams' castoffs.

That said, Stewart isn't as much of a castoff as he's a guy trapped with 2 other guys who can also run the ball very well that have longer financial commitments. And Carolina keeps saying he won't trade him. We'll see.

It makes no sense for them to sign Tolbert and not use him at least a little at HB considering how well he's played at RB for San Diego. They might decide to cut DeAngelo instead, whom I would also have interest in as an FA. Of course, he'll probably be priced out of our range if he made it that far. Maybe we could trade for him, but he's got a big contract, not sure if we could absorb it.

19. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

FWIW, Stewart (24) is two years younger than Greene (26).

20. Coach K

Coach K New Member

ok so cap hit is not the issue.

the issue is hed be a one year rental stealing carries from whoever we develop before he gets 7mil plus on the open market after this season.

and deangelo williams is just as good if not more versatile. people talk like hes not on the roster.

not you just other people.

dunno how i feel about trading a 2nd or 3rd rd pick for a RBBC star who would most likely be gone after this yr.