Connor Hughes: Jets Officially Agree to Bring Cro Back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Mar 10, 2015.

1. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

They shouldn't have played him at corner last year. It wasn't a good idea. But at his normal position he can make plays. If he was on the open market a lot of teams would be interested. He could be a contributor in our secondary which could be pretty good.

2. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

That would be good. Not complaining about acquiring quality in the defensive backfield, just concerned with getting them all on the field at the same time.

3. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i dont see it in Cro. he really shies away from any tackling contact.

Gilchrist isn't the best option either. guess if he comes real cheap just to compete it would be good.

4. kevmvp

kevmvp Well-Known Member

Thats the biggest with Cro going to that spot for me too. But his coverage skills and speed would fit great. The tackling would definitely be a concern though.

5. BacktoQueens

i'm just speculating as Skrine has similarities to Mathieu in his style of play.
    small, rangy, aware and physical..

will be interesting to see what Bowles is thinking..
    i could see him playing a Nickel CB/3rd S role, flipping between the two assignment wise to keep offenses guessing a little.

6. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Moving Skrine to FS could also reduce the amount of penalties that he accrues while getting him on the field. And, as others have noted, Skrine can certainly handle the ball being thrown his way.

7. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

After last year I feel like CBs in today's NFL are like starting pitchers in baseball - "you can never have enough starting pitching".

IF they sign Cro I don't see it as any major indictment of Dex/Milliner. If anything I see it as a positive, as it allows them time to learn and develop; it's not like they're going to see 0 snaps all year (if healthy), they just won't be relied on to cover Megatron on an island. And much like Seattle, when one of the starting CBs leaves there's a quality, internal replacement ready to step up.

8. nyjetsknicks247

nyjetsknicks247 Well-Known Member

if the plan for for skrine to play fs wats the point of singing gilchrist

9. GangGreen1960

GangGreen1960 Member

Agreed. I read that one of his main problems was getting flagged for pass interference. That should not happen too often as a FS. Furthermore playing the ball is one of his strengths so you would think that he can make some good reads. If the front office is considering him as a potential FS, bringing in Cromartie would really make sense. Then Milliner/McDougle would compete for the 3rd string. Coming off injuries these roles might be appropriate for now, although both could potentially be #2 CBs.
    Then again, maybe they want to move either Milliner or McDougle to FS and play Revis/Cromartie/Skrine as the CBs.
    I don't want us to throw too much money at Cromartie as we have bigger holes to fill. But Cro wants to come to NY and they might get him cheaper than other teams would. If he is not willing to give us a "hometown" discount, we should pursue other players (O-Line/LB).
    Hopefully, we factor in the cap situation in the next couple of years. I would hate to see us lose Mo or Sheldon. And having some cap space left is always a good thing.

10. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

I think the other than Revis & Cro, the position of corner and safety will be very fluid. I think they're hoping to have a bunch of versatile DB's that can do a lot.

Revis
    Cro
    Skrine
    Milliner
    McDougle
    Pryor
    Jarrett
    Gilchrist
    Allen

Pretty solid group.

11. BacktoQueens

again i'm just speculating...
    i don't necessarily see Skrines as the FS in base D, although it's not entirely out of the question.

i can see him playing a hybrid role on subpackages though, whether that be a nickelback or safety, or something that is hard for QB's to pinpoint.. Mathieu played primarily on subpackages last year, shifting to SS i believe on nickel and dime.
    i could also see him playing traditional nickelback. depending on the matchup, he's a versatile type player who can be used to disguise coverage, and keep offenses guessing.
    if you can move him around some, that's potentially a way to get another CB on the field......at least in subpackages.

Gilchrist i think is just depth and competition.
    at this point, short of completely converting Skrine, Jarrett is our only FS..
    if they don't ask too much of Jarrett, i think he's capable of that role considering the upgraded secondary personnel around him..

12. BacktoQueens

i'm also very interested to see if Marcus Williams or Rontez Miles can continue to show...
    Williams imo, has looked better than Milliner. He was a ballhawk in college, and really impressed for a UDFA w/o even a full camp.
    he just seems to have good football instincts to me...and i'd like to see that grow.

Miles can hit, and is very good at ST...
    might be a long shot if we sign Gilchrist, but i could see Miles backing up Pryor and Allen's roles as SS and 3S.

13. GeshJet

GeshJet Active Member

Agree with this. Marcus Williams has to be in the mix even if Cromartie and Gilchrest are signed. Most posters seem to forget about him. He's cheap, showed last year that he can play at a high level, and deserves to be in the rotation. If both additional signings happen, the secondary likely is best in the league and very deep. Coupled with the existing d-line and maybe a top pass rusher from the draft, and this defense could be dominant.

14. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It would be pretty awesome if we stopped the run at an effective enough clip to play a 3 safety package the majority of the time and it may be in the cards as something that Bowles is going to experiment with.

In the box if we can put out the front 4 with Harris and Davis and a lurking safety then have three safeties off the board it'd be impeccable pass defense. Good tackling safeties like Antonio Allen make this something to consider especially him being a former linebacker. It allows one safety in general to roam and sell out on the run or read the quarterback and simply follow his eyes and the ball rather than worry about responsibility.

BacktoQueens likes this.
  15. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

I don't see how Woody could interfere in his first year with a new front office, but the Harris signing and the Revis pursuit smell like Woody to me. The other signings are more in line with what Mac said he would do at the press conference when he came in. Not pursue the high end guys necessarily, but be active. Now I did read that the Jets outbid for both Iupati and Franklon. Iupati wanted to be closer to home and Franklin wanted to rejoin his old OC in SD. So that would also have been a deviation from the proposed plan. But either one of those guys would have been a useful addition for the future. I am dying to see where they go in the draft.

16. John

John Active Member

Skrine is playing nickel for us! It's gonna be great! We finally got people that can guard the slot reciever

17. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

Revis
    Cro
    Skrine
    Milliner
    McDougle
    Marcus Williams

If Milliner is healthy and McDougle is any good, this has a good chance to be an extremely talented group of CB's. This group of CB's mixed with the Jets current Defensive Line has a chance to yield one of the best defenses in football.

18. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It just feels like overkill at corner really. Skrine seems like he can be used as a safety but if we sign Cromartie and Gilchrist are they all gonna be on the field at the same time enough to justify all of their deals? Cromartie seemed like a good fall back if our other targets fell through he seems to be a bit useless eating away at the salary cap and younger more promising players playing time.

We've shored up wide receiver but is offensive line really not a need anymore? I understand we targeted the top two guards and miss but does that mean we're not going to target another quality tackle or guard in place of targeting Cromartie?

19. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Skrine in the nickel, Revis on one side, Cro on the other, and Gilchrist at Centerfield.

Yeah, they will all be on the field at the same time. Gives Bowles the opportunity to blitz like hell. Something he loves to do

20. BacktoQueens

i think we will be effective enough at stopping the run...

and i agree, that'll open up a lot of possibilities for maximizing personnel.
    could envision Skrine playing a SS role like Mathieu on those 3S sets, freeing up Pryor to roam with the LB's or blitz..

you can transition right to Nickel with essentially the same personnel too, with maybe just a swap at Dline to bring in another pass rusher.