Connor Cook

Discussion in 'Draft' started by BacktoQueens, Dec 16, 2014.

1. b.reyes16

b.reyes16 Well-Known Member

I never said Bortles has been impressive. I said he looks like someone who's going to make a big second year jump. And he should. It's one more year for those receivers to grow and one more year for them to rebuild that offensive line. He doesn't look overwhelmed by the game. It says a lot for a young QB. There's nothing wrong with his draft position. The Jaguar needed a QB and took the one they thought was best for their franchise. I thought Teddy B was a better prospect, but I don't make their decisions.

The thing with QB's in the draft is that you do not take a QB with limited potential in the early rounds. Cook looks to me like a guy with limited potential. Prescott and Hundley, on the other hand, despite their faults have star potential. I'm personally a guy who favors pocket passers, but again, the league wants stars, not Kirk Cousins. I think Cook goes in the second round personally.

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

What makes you believe Bortles will make a big 2nd jump if he really didn't exhibit much his first year? There is nothing great about Blake Bortles. Carr has an awful offensive line and an awful receiving corps and as a 2nd round pick has a far better future. Bridgewater, again very impressive his last 5 or so games. They showed far more promise then Bortles. Me thinks you have blind faith. There is everything wrong with his draft position - Bortles was never a better pro prospect than Carr / Bridgewater. Remember the Jags also took Blaine Gabbert - how well did that work out. The only reason Bortles got the love he did was because Mariota went back to school and everyone was looking for that next great dual threat QB. Dual threat QBs, really don't work at the next level.

Cook doesn't have limited potential - I look at him like a Palmer / Flacco type with some mobility. Cook has potential to be a very good QB in this league. I doubt Cook will be an elite QB, but he can be a SB winning QB which is all the Jets need. We don't need a super-star at the QB position. Hundley has some potential, but I don't think he's nearly as good as Cook. He can't read defenses, he holds onto the ball far too long and he has no pocket presence. Hundley may have more potential, but due to his lack of development in his fundamentals it's highly doubtful he reaches that potential. Stacks are very high against Hundley to produce.

Prescott again tons of potential because of his size, but he's prob the most inaccurate QB in this draft, he never displayed the ability to beat good teams with his arm, just his legs. I'm passing on QBs that can run, but can't pass. I think right now Cook is a mid-late first rounder - and he's far better than Hoyer or Cousins. You can say he's a 2nd rounder all you want but he's the 3rd best QB of this draft if he came out (which he won't). Potential isn't everything, you still need something to build off and if you don't exhibit basic passing fundamentals in college, more than likely you will truly struggle at the next level and not reach that potential.

3. 101GangGreen101

I prefer the pocket passer that can move which is why I like Winston and Cook. It seems to me you are looking for that next "great" dual threat QB - they don't last in the NFL, they don't progress as passers. Only 1 is very good and that's Russell Wilson - the others regressed so badly this yr it's sad so I disagree on this comment 100%

I want the Jets to find the next very good to great pocket passer that can buy time in the pocket with his feet. I look at Winston, I look at Cook - these guys can be the next great pocket passers if they are surrounded by good coaching and an offensive line.

4. b.reyes16

I like pocket passers. I stated that. Cook is more pro ready than most other prospects, but he has limited potential. Prescott and Hundley both have more potential which is why they may end up drafted higher. It's why Teddy B was drafted so late last year and he was a much much better prospect than Cook. They saw him as a limited prospect. I disagreed, but I'm not making the calls. There's a reason Manziel went before him. I'm not saying I prefer either. I'm simply speaking to what I think will happen, not what should happen.

5. b.reyes16

I don't blindly believe in anything. Bortles had a bad year, but you must not have watched him. Idk where you get this dual threat crap. Bortles can move around, but he's no Wilson. He'll have a better second year than most expect.

Andy Dalton had a good rookie season. You want a piece of that? Some guys just need a season to become acclimated to the pro game.

6. MParty7441

MParty7441 Well-Known Member

Haha yes, I realized after my comment that all QBs go through that. That being said, I dont think he's very good.

7. 101GangGreen101

I watched plenty of Jag games to see if Marquise Lee was the real deal and watching Bortles I wasn't impressed. He's not better than Carr or Bridgewater despite being drafted higher.

Bortles can extend plays with his arm and legs so I classified him as a dual threat. Cook has a far stronger arm than Dalton so I don't see the comparisons.

8. MsuJets

MsuJets Active Member

Cook may get a lot better from JR to SR year. He made a huge jump from middle of SO year to end of SO year and now a huge jump from SO to JR year.

9. 101GangGreen101

That's fair - I don't want to convince anyone he's a superstar or whatever - it's just what I see are things I like in regards to his pro potential.

MsuJets likes this.
  10. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I'm on this page!

If we draft Amari and add an offensive coach like Adam Gace I would like to see how our offense looks with Decker, Cooper and Harvin!

11. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

I am watching Cook in the Baylor game. Wow he is very impressive. What I like about him are three attributes. His quick decision making, his quick release and his accuracy. He gets rid of the ball so quick and makes such fast decisions. These are the most important qualities IMO in a pro QB. His arm strength is quite impressive as well. What I wonder about is his pocket presence and ability to move around the pocket under pressure. I am quickly falling for Cook. Hopefully he will change his mind and come out in 2015.

dawinner127 likes this.
  12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

sackexchange likes this.
  13. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Amazing comeback against Baylor

This kid is making the right decision going back to school. If he stays healthy he'll be the number 1 pick in next years draft.

Id almost be willing to sacrifice another year of sucking if he can be the Jets QB in 2016.

14. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Petty looks better then Cook right now, but I understand Cook is younger, he missed tons of throws...Petty looked crisp and confident out there

15. 101GangGreen101

He had a tough game, but receivers were dropping passes all game. Despite all of the adversity, he led his team on a comeback, showed poise at the end of the game and threw the game winning TD (potentially).

The talent is definitely there though - he's an effortless thrower that still needs to work on his footwork in the pocket.

16. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

This is a classic Connor Cook game. Looks erratic as hell at times then dazzling at times as well. Will be interesting to see whether he is a finished product with one more year of college experience.

17. 101GangGreen101

Petty looked really good - but that Art Briles offense is freaking amazing.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

You don't get that many chances in the NFL. He definitely needs to go back to school.

19. BakerMaker

BakerMaker Well-Known Member

Cook has so many flaws and issues, he and Hackenburg have to really step their games up so much in 2015. There is so many accuracy issues, so many easy throws getting missed. I can see why he wants to go back to school.

sackexchange likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

He showed the ability to get his team back into the game with some amazing throws. Situations like this do happen in the NFL. It was his 2nd multi INT game of the season - he misses on throws, but the talent and football IQ is still there.

If he can improve the footwork in the pocket, the kid has the chance to be a really good QB in the NFL - I said before he should go back to school numerous times. We will have the chance to get him nxt yr seeing how things are going right now.