Coaching rumor...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LoyalJetsFan, Dec 7, 2008.

1. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I'm really not trying to make this an argument, but it just doesnt seem there is much more to execute than an open zone defense with a short-handed pass rush. If you are only consistently rushing 3 or 4 guys with an open pass zone defense, the receivers are taught to get in an open seam of the zone. Granted, you prevent giving up the big play, but you also give up 8 yards at a clip.

I just remember the Pittsburgh game last year --- they came to NY & we blitzed the living s--t out of Rothlisberger. They were 7-2, the JETS were 1-8. The JETS came up with 7 sacks that day. And all of us fans were like "where the hell has this been?"
    Straight up man-to-man with everyone going after the QB. I have yet to see that this year.

2. AlioTheFool

AlioTheFool Spiveymaniac

They are consistently rushing 6 or more. Go back and watch the game. We stack the line a lot. The problem is, this defense full of bitches can't get penetration.

Everyone wants to act like Sutton isn't calling blitzes, but he's calling them a lot. They just aren't working. It's hard to keep pointing a finger at the coach when the players refuse to do their jobs competently.

Again, I can't stand Sutton, and I wouldn't be the least bit upset if he got canned. But right now, it won't fix anything. It'll still be the same clowns not making plays on D.

3. nyjetsrule

nyjetsrule Active Member

I also love Rex and believe that not only is he the better Ryan brother, but the best DC in the league. sadly he (like Jason Garret) is being paid a max salary to keep him around in his coordinator position. Seeing as how mangini will still be on the sidelines next season what we need to find is another DC not a potential HC, who wont come here to be DC. trust me though if Mangini were to be Fired Rex is the guy I would want.

4. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

Yeah...Rex wouldn't come here unless it was for the HC position....and he's a guy that participated in a few HC interviews in the offseason but didn't get the positions....i think he deserves a chance....and if Woody has any brains...he'll turf Mangini after this debacle of a season...and hire Rex...or somebody with his personality and knowledge of the game.

5. smittyf350

smittyf350 Member

What about Mike Nolan? He was a nasty dc for baltimore and he also ran the 3-4. Anything is better than sutton.

6. GreenBleeder69

We couldn't get to a Super Bowl with Parcells AND Belichick. Always were and always will be the same old Jets.

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

ding ding ding.perfect fit.comes here where he has the talent to get back in the hc talk again.

8. graig.323

graig.323 Active Member

To me Sutton is just awful... I don't think he has an overall understanding of the concept of a 3-4defense... The middle of the field should never be wide open in a 3-4.... especially only rushing 3 (which we do the majority of the time)

9. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

I'm going to have to disagree with that. I don't have numbers for this past game, but players on the record stating we don't rush the passer, and numbers from previous games show that we don't blitz much on passing situations. I didn't keep a count for yesterday, but I mostly saw 3 man rushes. I can only remember 2-3 times that we'd bring a blitz, and yes it got stuffed those times. Except when Lowery was brought on the blitz, and just missed the QB.

10. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

amen!: assuming you consider the hc of the nyj to be a promotion.

wonder if ryan does? :eek:hmy:

11. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

We can set him up for life. Woody has a ton of money, even more from this PSL nonsense. He can use a fraction of that to lure Cowher out of retirement. Make him the highest paid coach in NFL history.

12. Darth Vader

Darth Vader Member

rob ryan is overrated.

Rex is the real ryan.

13. jaywayne12

jaywayne12 Well-Known Member

If Mangini and Sutton are a package...then Mangini needs to inform Sutton that to protect the dead, you need to dig the hole at least 6 feet deep..out of respect...and to keep insects away from the smelly decaying body.

14. FSU Noles 850

FSU Noles 850 New Member

im hopping on the rex ryan train

#54 FSU Noles 850, Dec 9, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2008
  15. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

he never worked in the 3-4 for a long period of time, he was a HC at Army - that alone should disqualify him. The man is a doddering old fool.

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I have to disagree with you here. The 3 man rush is absolutely killing this D. It hasn't worked all year yet this late in the season we are still running it so frequently. Both Mangini and Sutton deserve equal amounts of blame for continuing to call this formation. This was the biggest factor in our defeat to the 49ers, every time their was momentum or a break it was killed by giving up a big play in the 3 man rush.

17. Firemangini Ed

Firemangini Ed New Member

Bob Knight was head coach at Army.

18. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

You think Cowher isn't set right now? What is a ton of loot going to do for you when you still have to go out there and win every week? Cowher had a great run in Pittsburgh, but he also survived some shitty years there because ownership believed in keeping the coach in place providing he was competent, despite their record, which is contrary to how a lot of clubs work these days.

I don't know a lot of coaches that have had a lot of success in leaving their original success and then picking up with another team and being as successful. Jimmy Johnson? Mike Holmgren? Joe Gibbs? Not everyone can be like Bill Parcells and turn franchises around with a magic wand. I'd just assume keep Mangini as he continues to grow as a coach, rather than letting him cut his teeth and then let him go somewhere else and be more successful.

19. wewantsapp

wewantsapp Well-Known Member

I had to go back & watch the game again after you suggested this & sorry, but I cant possibly agree with you on this.
    Consistently rushing 6????? I understand your point about the lack of penetration, particular when our guy is up against a single blocker, but I saw way too many 3 man pass rushes.

20. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

yes he was. Sutton did the football coaching though. There is a huge difference in the two programs.

Coach K of Duke is also from Army and a Bob Knight decendant.