Clemens/Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JIMsection323, Nov 22, 2007.

1. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Disagree what it shows is the Jets are outright awful at the QB position right now. Pennington is a washed up bad QB and Clemens is a bad QB who may get much better? Fact is the Jets are one of the worst teams in the league at the position in a league that is very weak at the position. At least Clemens has upside.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

the team being bad doesn't absolve Pennington for being equally as bad. throwing interceptions at the end of three games that the Jets had a chance to either win or tie shows that Pennington was as much to blame as the rest of the team. please tell me how any of the losses under his starts weren't a result of his play -- not solely his play, but his play was part of the problem. you can't.

3. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Chad's career is already over. God, give it up on CHad already.

4. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Where Chad and Clemens compare is both weren't good enough to win the job outright, they both got the job when the starting QB played himself off the team. We can only hope that Clemens will become better than Chad was.

5. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

HAHAHAH , Agreed!

6. TJones20

TJones20 New Member

ok people really give pennington way to much crap, he's one o the most accurate qb's in history, im not sayin i want him playin but he would b a good qb for a team that could protect him and if he had more targets

clemens- so far he hasnt been very accurate but i love the guy, he knows wat hes doing and the mistakes will be minimized as he plays more, i think a big problem for clemens is schottenheimers play calling, hes not opening up the playbook enough for clemens to be effective, clemens will learn not to stare down a receiver as much and eventually be a permanent starter in my opinion

7. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Good argument...does 17/16 ring a bell?

That's Chad's TD to INT ratio last year (comeback player of the year). Plus, he had some ridiculous amount of INT's in the 4th quarter this year.

I loved Chad for his heart, taking us to the playoffs, coming back from injuries, his leadership, he even took a paycut. BUT, he was a HUGE reason we were losing. That's the opposite of what you want from a QB. Even if we didn't have a second round unproven pick behind CP, I would have wanted the back up in there by at least the Buff game.

8. Going4TheGreen

Going4TheGreen Well-Known Member

Chad hasn't looked near as good as any of the QB's you mentioned either, at any point in his career. Actually, I loved Pennington, but he has been not even close to these players since 2002. Favre, Rivers, Bulger, Palmer have so far been way better than him.

9. Joe Will E 69

Joe Will E 69 New Member

does that interception for a touchdown give kellen more td passes than chad this year? chad had a doo doo team to run and kellen isnt doing anything better than chad. hope everyone is happy

10. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

Clemens needs to complete more passes- granted there have been drops, but a sub 50% completion percentage is inexcusable. Vince Young had a completion percentage slightly greater than 50% and everybody accepted that because he was still pretty raw as a QB.

His accuracy is probably my biggest complaint with him so far in addition to his penchant for holding onto the ball for ages. The thing I'm most surprised by is his scrambling ability but he has made some bonehead plays while on the run too such as that stretch out for a TD while running against the Steelers. That easily could have been a fumble into the endzone were it not for a holding call.

I'm expecting improvements in this Miami game with his accuracy at least.

I'd love to be wrong (given that the Jets have about a million holes on the team), but I think the Jets will strongly consider taking a QB on Day 1 this year.

11. TheNatureBoy

TheNatureBoy New Member

Clemens is a joke. Chad is the present and the future.

12. HardHitta

HardHitta Well-Known Member

Great Point! , Clemens as a starter has played some really tough defensive teams and hasnt had Laveranues coles except for 1 game. Which happened to be the game where he passes for the most yards. Clemens will struggle this year but the again so would Elway behind this shitty line. I Think Clemens will be very good for us in the future , but we have to focus on getting quality players in the draft aswell as spending some money in Free-Agency... Its a Must!