Clemens is not the Answer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Dec 31, 2007.

1. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

D) Trade for a QB to compete for the starting job. My preference is Charlie Whitehurst, IMO the best of the 2nd tier QBs from the 06 draft. I feel he was the QB we should have drafted if not for the fact I think he is a better QB than Clemens but for the fact we wouldn't have had to trade back up in the 2nd round to get him like we had to for Clemens.

2. jdon

jdon Well-Known Member

He seems to break down mechanically on the short passes. Dumpoffs and swings and little incuts. All correctable. He tends to throw some of the passes too hard. He needs to ratchet down his adrenalin level. But I dont see fear, I see a guy who doesn't trust his O line, and has no reason to.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The redskins aren't more talented than the Jets overall, the teams are pretty close.

He did have LT and no doubt that helped but he also had Curtis Conway and Tim Dwight as his starting WRs.

KC MIGHT eventually be good but he didn't show us anything this year. he was historically bad, he showed zero signs of progress throughout the year.

4. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

Just a little addition to the discussion - the Daily News this morning printed a chart that showed Clemens finished with the 7th lowest QB rating for a season ever. If you get a chance, check out the other names on the list.

5. since83

since83 Member

Agreed. And last I checked this year CP had better stats but was still 1 and 7 as the starter. Did Kellen not win more games than him.

6. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Qb rating means nothing. You can throw all five yard passes for five or six years and be remembered and have one of the greatest ratings of all time. That stat needs to be abolished!

7. since83

since83 Member

Point well taken. Why was Chad 1 and 7? not being funny just to debate.

8. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

I agree that QB rating is a flawed system, I was more interested in the other names on the list. Take a look, and you will see that in this instance, QB rating was pretty spot on as to how these guys would eventually perform.

9. JetsLookingforDWare

1. AFC >>>>>>>>>>>> NFC

2. He showed me quite a bit actually. I like his toughness, I like his mobility, I like his arm strength, I like his attitude, I like that the offense as a whole improved under Clemens.

3. Judging a young QB on half a season of starts behind a crappy O-line, his best WR hurt, and the other WR kind of hurt doesn't seem very logical. What exactly were you expecting to see? A Tony Romo-esque rise to glory? It doesn't just happen that way.

10. Wahoo

Wahoo Well-Known Member

^Simple - I wanted to see him, when he had time to throw, hit an open receiver with a well thrown pass. I saw lousy passes MUCH more than accurate passes, and that, to me, is cause for concern about his ability.

11. Jetcane

Jetcane New Member

His performance wasnt very good, but i'm sure if he lit it up and showed great accuracy and smart decision making, people wouldnt complain that it was only based on half a season.

I think a lot of the KC backers and CP haters were anticipating a better showing once he got in there, even taking into account that the OL sucked and Coles was hurt. He did play in three wins, but the defense played better during that part of the season when he was starting. Beating the Fins is no great accomplishment, and in the win against the Chefs, he was underwhelming. Plus, it was the defense that really won the Pitt game.

All we can do is hope he gets a lot better next season, or it may be time to look at a different alternative at QB.

12. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

All true. Of course the real reason that the O improved, IS because of his mobility and arm, its just unfortunate that he is inaccurate.
    After years of having a QB that was a pure pocket passer than thew dink and dunk , Ds would often stifle us with 10-15 yard schemes, bye bye running game.