Clemens is not the Answer

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Joe Willie White Shoes, Dec 31, 2007.

1. JerseyJet27

JerseyJet27 Member

An improvement on a 4 win season is all i expect from this team next year as of right now. Maybe play .500 ball or close to that. Chad lost his job because he was making decisions with the ball first or second year guys like Clemmens usually make. Some of Chad's decisons to try and lob a ball to a receiver covered by two or three guys with the game on the line was absolutely awful this season. We've seen it a few times. You can't knock the coaching staff. They made the right decision in seeing what we had with Clemmens. As of right now though, no progression has been seen from him and as I said earlier if there still isn't any midway through next season we are in trouble.

2. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Mangini and Tannenbaum can't wait until the middle of next year to find that out. Their jobs are on the line. The Jets need a back up plan, whether it is keeping Pennington or signing another veteran free agent QB.

3. savinoRB2

savinoRB2 New Member

kellen has looked like shit because he is getting either sacked from every angle or gettin pressure in his face possible....one of you listed all the shit he doesnt have, an oline would do that to you and make you look like shit....

tom brady would have a hard time behind our oline.....

Oline actually pretty much runs the offense, the skill players make the catch and throws but whos givin em time to do it....

its ludacris you guys cant give him another year when they HOPEFULLY can rebuild the oline via free angency/draft

kellen has a above average arm, hes very intelligent, hard worker, hes pretty mobile, his accuracy needs work but he throw a nice ball yesturday jerricho DROPPED!!!! that was when he had TIME!!!!

if tom brady was on our team in 2001 but the 2001 team consisted of the nyj current roster, i would LOVE to see how tom brady turned out

Kellen started with shit for talent around him...hes made dumb mistakes sometimes but he has also won us 3 games to chad pennington's one this year

fuck chad, i bet the season be different if kc started the whole year

and as far as next season goes....if we get some bigger bodies on the oline....im sayin 9-7 to 12-4....i have a feelin

kellen is gonna be a star next year

4. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Tui is the real man to lead us to the promised land, Tui! Tui! Tui!

5. ANJI

ANJI New Member

How many plays do you think they have for Kellen??? And what team designs plays for their back up??? Comeon man. This is all assuming, but I doubt the all shifts and all the muliply combacks/8 yard drag plays are for Kellen. I think the kid deserves a shot next year and Chad has no future on the Jets, so why even keep him???

Kellen clearly got worse as the year moved on for what ever reason, so lets see what he does in Training Camp. I think a fresh start and a offense that attacks the DB's would do the kid some good.

6. JerseyJet27

JerseyJet27 Member

Well by giving Clemmens that chance I expect them to be signing a verteran backup ie: McCown. As for Mangini and Tannenbaum their jobs are not on the line in season 3. They've made the playoffs once basically had one bad season. I think to this point they have drafted well, resigned players, and have shown they can make a good offseason move(Revis,Harris,Leon,Mangold) Cotchery, TJ. I will begin to wonder about them if they do not hit free agency this year since we have the money. The availability of players to fill our weaknesses is there. Lets give them another season atleast before we start talking about that though. I think if we have another awful season next year w/ no improvement though they are on the hot seat in 09.

7. -MC-

-MC- Active Member

There were no fucking pockets. This is me after skimming the first 3 posts. I feel Ill get banned if I read all fucking 5 pages. What a joke.

8. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

The offense is the offense. The coaching staff came here with this offense not knowing who the QB was going to be. Chad won the job originally because he can run this offense, that's why we went to the playoffs last year with him running it. Throwing deep is a low percentage play, so you're not going to find many offenses that are based on that, including this one.

Having said that, if they have a whole series put in for Brad Smith, who isn't really even a QB, I'm sure they had stuff ready for Clemens, considering he's in his second year in the system and he started half of this season. That may have included a few deep balls, but again that's not the gist of this offense. And Pennington actually threw the deep ball more effectively and accurately than Clemens did. To say Chad has no future on the Jets is purely speculative at this point.

I do agree that both QBs got worse as the year went on. Chad played well in his first couple of games, so did Clemens. When you can't run in the red zone and you can't block consistently for the passing game, the QBs are eventually going to press and make bad decisions. But to say it about one guy and excuse the other is not right. It was the same for both guys, so bring both back next camp with a better line and maybe a big bruising short-yardage back and go from there. Again, you'll probably need two QBs anyway, unless you have a Brady, Peyton Manning or Favre, which we don't. It's been proven zillions of times in the NFL that you need more than one good guy, as recently as last night in the Tennessee game. Vince Young got hurt and Kerry Collins stepped in to lead them to a playoff spot.

9. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

How does Todd Collins come off the bench and lead the Skins to the playoffs then? If what you say were so, no back up QB's would ever succeed.

10. JetsLookingforDWare

Redskins >>>>> Jets

Redskins O-line >>>> Jets O-line

Redskins RBs >>>> Jets RBs

Cooley >>>> Baker (no offense to Baker, since he kicks ass)

Having a good team usually helps a QB.

11. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

I was just going to say that- Clemens would have killed to replicate the stats that Brees put up for an awful San Diego team that was two years removed from a 1 win season. There is little to no comparison.

Clemens was flat-out atrocious this year. Thank goodness Schott and Mangini relied on TJ in the overtime yesterday.

At this point, I can't wait to see Chad off this team so all the bitching about him can stop. I'm going to pull hard for whatever team he ends up on and I guarantee the team he ends up will be closer to the playoffs than the 2008 Jets.

#91 Gubernaculum, Dec 31, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2007
  12. JetsLookingforDWare

Yea...whole different situation for Brees...

See he was playing with LT as his RB, he played the whole season and not 8 games, and the Chargers O-line was probably a little better than ours.

8 starts don't say sh*t. 8 starts with a mediocre O-line, WR corps, and running game say even less.

13. Gubernaculum

Gubernaculum New Member

The Redskins O-line this season has been pretty damn bad. Fabini was their RG, the guy who everybody thought was washed up three years ago. They lost their best tackle in Jon Jansen to injury like they do virtually every season. Randy Thomas was also on IR. They lost their best guard Dockery in FA, even with Kendall their O-line stinks. Rabach and Samuels are two decent members of that O-line, but they're not great by any means.

Clinton Portis averaged a huge 3.9 YPC, that is much better than the 3.6 YPC that TJ averaged.

Backups study the same playbook that the starters do. The Redskins aren't leaps and bounds better than the Jets.

14. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I agree that the Jets have to have a backup plan going into next season, but I'm not ready to write Clemens off either, the team is going to move away from Chad as part of their plans going into 2008 and they have to have someone step in and challenge for the starting QB position because KC MAY NOT be the answer, even behind a good O-line with a decent supporting cast. He has the tools physically, but if a player cannot overcome adversity early in their career, that is a sign that they may not be able to do it so well later.

The flip side of that argument is that some QBs can come in and make teams or fans think they are the answer when they are certainly not (coughCHADcough). I hate the Bills, but their fans were sold on Losman at the end of last season and the team had the foresight to acquire Trent Edwards and that kid stepped in immediately when he was asked to. And in all possibility, neither Losman nor Edwards may be 'the answer' for the Bills, but the thing is that they went into things with a backup plan. The Jets can't just cheap it out with another 'veteran' like Tui, because an unproven veteran is no veteran at all.

15. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Maybe because it was his 7th year in Saunders Offense.

16. TheCoolerGlennFoley

TheCoolerGlennFoley Well-Known Member

The problem is there is no other viable candidates. I think you bring in a Chris Simms but since none of the top 3 picks in the draft are can't miss guys I think you go with Clemens another year.

17. GBA

GBA Well-Known Member

I didn't watch the game yesterday because I had to work... did Clemens look any different/worse this week? From what I've seen this season, I'd give Clemens at least half of next season before judging his ability to run a team. I vote we wait until the second day to draft another QB.. I don't want to waste a pick on a qb when we don't even know what we have.

18. JetsLookingforDWare

NFC <<<< AFC

19. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Except the NFC East which is the most balanced and toughest division in the league.

20. glenn212

glenn212 New Member

lets give the kid some time gang green..we'll see