CJ Spiller?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by LongIslandBlitz, Jan 16, 2015.

1. Sandman

Sandman Well-Known Member

I would be more along the line that Gaileys system got the best out of him when he was in town, so no wonder he may want to team up with him again. If it is true that he tailors his offensive philosophy to the players he has then I would hope that he can do a lot with what we already has. This would say more about the system in place getting the best out of its players than it being down to the player.

Im hoping we can take our current players to a higher level and they can be a product of the system.

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

True it won't be a massive contract no matter what because he's a RB.

DeMarco Murray is much better than Spiller, younger and just led the league in rushing and the Cowboys are trying to sign him to a deal similar in figures to the Jeremy Kerley deal that Idzik inked. They won't be successful in signing him at that but that's where they are starting.

Spiller can look forward to that Kerley size deal. It's what Reggie Bush signed with in Detroit (4yrs/16 mil) Spiller and Bush have eerily similar careers and roles/skills. Would I rather have Spiller or Bush than Kerley? yes.. no doubt.

It's about comparing Spiller to the rookies though. Does Spiller add a lot more than a 4th round RB? I see pros & cons to either option

irishwhip03 likes this.
  3. Bellows1

Bellows1 Well-Known Member

I think C Johnson still has enough in the tank for another year or two, if he wants to stay for the right money. He still showed great speed and the ability to break open plays when he was fresh. Between him, Ivory and Powell (if he comes back), that's a pretty tough crew. Our the kid Richardson who looked good last year.

4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Well let him land in the middle on a team that can afford to give him more than he's worth because they are a CJ Spiller away from contention. Or because they have a dumb GM.

5. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The jets need to be focused on developing a passing attack, you know, the part of the game that actually leads to wins.

I swear this fan base is still stuck in the same era as Rex thinking having an elite running attack leads to wins.

How many rushes did the Pats have against the Ravens. Who had more rushing yards, the Cowboys or Packers? How many Super Bowls did the Seahawks win with Lynch before getting Russell Wilson?

6. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

Spiller just said this AM that Jets would be a perfect fit. I would LOVE Spiller in here. I agree, it would be a great move.

If Harvin stays, get nab Spiller, plus Amaro a year in and Decker/Kerley we could have ourselves a nice offense
    I'd like to see them:
    Sign Spiller
    Keep Harvin
    Upgrade o-line
    bring in a vet QB

I have a feeling offense and CB will be a priority this offseason.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  7. JETS1116

JETS1116 Well-Known Member

He's a great player but I'd rather we spend our money on other positions. It seems that teams can get by easily with cheap/young running backs as long as you have a great o-line. I'd rather put his, or CJ's millions into a quality guard.

8. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

Seahawks have the number one running game in the league,Number one defense in the league.....Sound Familar?2009 Jets only diffrence is a QB who doesn't make the big mistakes

9. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Spiller is a big time threat as a receiver out of the backfield.

BrowningNagle likes this.
  10. LongIslandBlitz

Honestly I'm not a fan of bringing Harvin back for the kind of money he's due to get,Id rather sign another free agent WR ,Randal Cobbs a free agent id make a run at him if I'm the Jets

11. TurkJetFan

I don't agree. I think CJ stunk last year plus with his gun charges we really should cut bait.

12. TurkJetFan

Sure. I suppose it doesn't have to be Harvin specifically...If we can get a Harvin type player, like a Cobb then sure. But I think a player with that skill set will be huge for us in this system.

13. TurkJetFan

Correct, it's actually his best attribute and in Chan's system expect a big emphasis on the screen game. Spiller fits perfectly, and that's why he put up such gaudy numbers in 2012. Plus the guy is a home run threat and if used properly is an amazing RB.

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Using teams with two future HOF quarterbacks as examples doesnt make for a profound argument. As much as we would ALL like to have it, the odds of ANY team having QBs that good is slim.

The Cowboys finally remembered what won them their last run of SBs......and the same thing that made the JETS "successful" recently. The O-LINE.

Win the trenches, the rest will follow.

LAJet likes this.
  15. LongIslandBlitz

With Harvins injury history and even without it his numbers have never been overly impressive,He had a big year with Farve at QB but we haven't seen another one since,I get it that he's dynamic and retuns kicks and punts at a high level but something about him makes me nervous,let's not forget a team getting ready to go to the Superbowl for a second straight year traded a First and a Third for him then traded him to us for a 5th round pick......

16. TurkJetFan

And that's it right there.

+1 x1000

17. TurkJetFan

And rigthtfully so. Maybe I am getting on paper happy. There are definite concerns with Harvin, all the reason a team who traded a ton to get him, primed to contend for a SB traded him mid-season.

I in no way think Harvin is elite. I just like his skill set in the system. I do definitely agree though. If there is another option like him to get, then do it, or perhaps approach him on a re-structure. His market value really isn't all that high so he may want to do this, considering the system and situation.

18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

19. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

Much rather have Spiller than any back in this draft. RBs are not expensive anymore. I think he'd be a very good get here and a great pairing with Ivory.

20. TurkJetFan

to those saying just draft a RB...

my question to you is why can't we do both?