Cimini: McCagnan doesnt view Mayfield as top 3 pick

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JethroTull, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I hope you are right and he is taken by the Giants, so we get to take a better prospect, but don't hold your breath. What's happening here is that a lot of people buy the hype. And the hype is because Allen is amazing physical specimen. Make no mistake - he was a solid College player, Second Team All-Mountain West 2016. But nothing about his College carrier suggests top 10 pick - not to mention top 3. What put him over the top is his physical gifts. Then people start analyzing him throw by throw, they see some great strikes and are impressed, see some poor throws and say all he needs is a little better footwork, a little more accuracy - nothing that can't be fixed - and with the physical tools he has, here is the top QB prospect. Heck, Jets used similar logic to draft Hackenberg (not in top 3, but quite high for him). They no longer see a complete picture - they see fragments.

This is what's called getting caught up in your own bull-crap. The reason is that this little accuracy problem is not little. It is rather fundamental deficiency that often defines whether you are a great player or not good enough to be a 3d stringer on CFL. It cannot be easily fixed. You must realize that using all these tools, Allen is still by College standards is just solid. And he was 21 in his last season (turning 22 this year), which is pretty much a junior/senior age for a College player, not a fresher. Ask yourself this, which big time QB in NFL had 56% accuracy in College at 21? I can't think of even one. Let me know if you find one. Sam Bradford comes to mind, but he improved to 60+ at 21 in his last year. The bottom line is, Josh has not done enough to show he is top 10, let alone top 3 talent of the draft. He is a high risk prospect, and I think someone will take that risk just because with the physical tools he has it's worth a gamble. But this is definitely a big gamble, and not the type of gamble you take with a top 3 pick in the draft.

ColoradoContrails and Noam like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Of course they aren't perfect. But QB prospects are never perfect. The closest was Luck, and he hasn't lived up to his potential. But at some point we have to take a chance, so why not now when we have a high pick in a good QB class.

I want Darnold and then Rosen or Mayfield. Who knows if they'll ever be elite, but I'd be surprised if our guy won't be at least the best QB we've had since Pennington. Even Allen should clear that bar.

tbruner12 likes this.
  3. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Mac passes on Mayfield, he goes to the Broncos and becomes All-Pro. I can already see it. Don't fall into this Allen hype. Accuracy can never be understated. Arm strength is overrated if you have good ball placement. It's the difference between a Christian Hackenberg and a Case Keenum.

4. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

2nd Team - Mountain West? I'll pass.

5. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Case Keenum played 10 games in domes last year. When you play in the AFC East, arm strength matters. That doesn't mean accuracy doesn't.

6. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

Is that the technical term?

7. Jay Bizniss

If you play in the AFC in general, you are going to be playing outside. NFC has it easy (6 dome teams) compared to AFC (2 dome teams).

8. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Eli Manning has played in the Meadowlands for 14 seasons and he's never had a rocket arm. Very good arm, but not elite. Brady another AFCE guy with a very good arm (not elite) but unbelievable accuracy. Mayfield's arm strength is more than adequate and no matter what division you play in, accuracy rules to be an NFL QB.

9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If you actually looked at the teams Luck played for he was amazing. He was absolutely an elite, stud NFL franchise QB. RG3 actually was fantastic for Washington before he got killed. He took the Redskins further than Cousins every did as a rookie. He had Washington in the game with the SB champs until he was hurt.

I agree with you and Mayfield may well become a great QB. The problem with Mayfield is if you compare him to both Wilson and Brees, neither of those two were top 3 NFL picks. You can't ignore the measurable anymore than you can ignore their college tape. What you should ignore is the stats that were all done under very different conditions. We can't be in the interview room with Wilson, Brees and Mayfield. What makes Wilson and Brees special isn't their arm, it's their head. Leadership, vision and commitment to developing their talent. Pennington had an elite QB brain. It was a shame he didn't have a great arm and it was further weakened by injury.

HomeoftheJets and Peebag like this.
  10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Deleted

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Eli Manning has a great arm. He has made some of the best big throws in tough conditions of any QB in the NFL period. He won two SB because he was able to make throws on the road in awful conditions and they were down the field with guys in his face. Mayfield couldn't get off some of the incredible passes Eli got down the field to put his team in position to win SB. Mayfield shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence.

12. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think Favre had less than 60%, but some attributed that to his hard partying, not mechanics.

The rest of your post I agree with. I'm not an expert, but I suspect that accuracy issues like Allen's (and Hack's) are rooted more deeply than foot placement, I think there's a mental aspect - hand-eye coordination and mental processing problem - and that's why it's much harder to correct. I could be wrong, but that's my hunch.

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Mayfield comes from an Oklahoma spread offense. He lacks ideal size. He's a loud mouth with off the field question marks in regards to his maturity. And he comes from a conference in which he played against Swiss Cheese defenses.

No thank you to Baker Mayfield. He's way too much hype.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

you haven't, but 3 others at minimum have. everyone is entitled to their own opinions. we are all just playing the guessing game. No issue in people liking mayfield, i just don't see an NFL starter in him

LF911SC likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

you did not, others did however. probably the funniest was the guy who said he was a 2nd round pick a few months ago, said he never said that and always said he was one of the best QBs. i screenshootted his post from a few months ago and he insulted and blocked me lol

16. Jay Bizniss

Ohio State, TCU x2 and Georgia would disagree with you.

17. GasedAndConfused

Called it
    [​IMG]

there are at minimum 2 more like that on here

LF911SC likes this.
  18. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Can we please stop perpetuating this BS that Allen misses a lot of easy throws? Whenever someone says that, I immediately know they never watched a full game of Allen's. The majority of the Wyoming's passing plays attacked the intermediate to deep part of the field. When there was shallower stuff, they were usually outs to the far hash which can be a 30 to 40 yard throw for a +/- 10 yard gain. There was very little if any of the "easy" bubble screens, shallow crosses and hitches that not only helps a QB's CMP% but helps them get in rhythm. When I watch Wyoming's offense, I don't come away thinking "boy, Allen misses a lot of easy throws". I come away confused and frustrated at the scheme and play calling. They had the QB but lacked the o-line and skill players to effectively run the aggressive downfield pro-style offense they were trying to run. They couldn't run the ball either; Allen was probably their best running back.

There's a reason why a lot of college teams especially the lower level ones run the Spread. There's a lot of easy throws and you scheme guys open. It levels the playing field a bit and gives talent challenged team a chance to compete against those NFL factory schools. When a talented NFL factory school like Oklahoma runs the Spread, it's almost unfair [cough...Mayfield].

LF911SC and GasedAndConfused like this.
  19. tbruner12

tbruner12 Well-Known Member

Make do with what you got, play every game with a team that has gotten stronger wherever they could, rather than throwing darts at college kids in a man's game. It's a transition that is always made better when the QB isn't born into shit and turmoil.
    That's impatient, being scared, and a bunch of crying babies over what toys we have to play with.
    Barkley is the best choice moving forward as far as football players.
    5 years from now, we may be saying that we passed on Marshall Faulk part 2, rather than our current choices at QB.
    That's what I believe. But who knows?
    I'm the minority that's all I know.
    I think the majority have "QB Syndrome" too. What player strengthens the team more every time you pick, is how you should always draft. Good QB's are made, and like to play around, playmakers. Period. All great QB's had them, there isn't one who is exempt from that fact. Or we could throw darts at questionable QB's like what's in this draft. Maybe you are scared of that?

20. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Have you been around this sh*tshow for 50 years as a Fan?? This is MORE than QB Syndrome ..it's putting FIRST THINGS FIRST eg draft a QB and build around him ..NOT WAIT till the team is solid in every department with 5 playmakers..if we have "shit and turmoil" now I am all in favor of improvement but calling fans a bunch of cry babies who KNOW what this team is missing is lame

I am not SCARED of anything ..Iam a Jet fan !! Haha We you have NOTHING TO LOSE and now you are at the 3 spot in this draft ..actually I feel pretty good

I get your minority opinion and that's ok..Barkley is the Best Player in this draft that we DONT need..BTW who is going to "accommodate" him when he gets here?? an OL that's falling apart?? He will take a beating and we will have to shelve him till Team improves.."draft a player that strengthens a team ? " sure..the QB we are targeting will do that ..you don't see it but that's ok

Finally Mac DID NOT put this costly trade in for a RB ..that's just stupid

#420 NYJetsO12, Mar 21, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2018