Chris Streveler

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GreenWhiteandGold, Aug 12, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Noam

Noam Well-Known Member

https://www.newyorkjets.com/video/h...-to-denzel-mims-for-a-finger-tip-td-reception

I agree he is being quite picky. Here is the replay. Could it have been thrown further? Yes. Would it have been caught if it was thrown further? Maybe, Mimms was busy trying to keep his feet in bounds and fight off the cornerback with his hands. Regardless, I see nothing wrong with the throw. It is where it could be caught and that is all you can ask on a long throw.

Streveler is a great story and should be applauded. He likely will make the PS which he had no chance of two weeks ago. He did not even get any practice reps until after the 1st pre-season game and now he might get an entire year of learning being on the practice squad. He might not be Rocky Balboa or Kurt Warner but he about to make a practice squad and play for a year out of nowhere. I dopn't think people appreciate what a monumental achievement that is. This guy was a camp arm. Nothing else.

Edit: I forgot to put in the link for the replay which was the whole point of my post.

#321 Noam, Aug 29, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2022
    Borat and K'OB like this.
  2. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

When I read this thread I'm reminded why so many here wanted to use the most valuable pick in our history on Zach Wilson.

3. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Just to be clear, I'm not killing the Wilson pick. I just think people dismiss that guys that actually suit up for preseason (3rd and 4th string) are better than most guys who didn't get a chance to ever suit up for a preseason game. The best of the best in college make it to the league, and last I remember that number is like less than 2% get drafted.

ouchy likes this.
  4. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I understood your point. This thread just reminded me of peoples irrationality at the QB position. I think most of the fanbase is traumatized by QB over the last dozen years, or our entire post Nameth history.

Streveler has issues with his foot work, bailing on the pocket to soon, decisions under pressure. And these are just the obvious things against 4th stringers. On top of that, his running style would get him laid out on a stretcher against starters. If the coaches ever thought he'd have a chance they'd have given him playtime before White in one of the games.

5. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Everyone loves an underdog! After the last 20ish years (considering Pennington is probably the last Jets 'good' internal QB), I can't fault any fan that gets excited over quarterback play.

ouchy and Royal Tee like this.
  6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Chad also demonstrated clearly that you do not have to have a strong arm to be a good NFL QB. In the end the injuries did deplete his arm strength to the point it was hard to be very effective but he was quite good until the 2005 injury and still acceptable after that.

Mike White is not that far off of effective arm strength he just does not have the arm to make throws in traffic. Neither did Chad and he spent a lot of time perfecting throws that no defender could get too.

7. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

This is a legitimate point. White knows the offense inside and out. To be frank, I think Jets will keep him for that reason over Streveler. At the same time, White is extremely overrated. People are not taking in his entire body of work when making an evaluation and only remember Bengals game. When entire body of work is considered even including Bengals game, his passer rating is pretty bad at only 75. He is also immobile and has a weak arm. He then followed up 75 rated season with a preseason where he stunk in 2 out of 3 games. Streveler, even though as you pointed out does not know the offense as well as White does, did significantly better in that same offense in preseason.

So, what does it matter if Mike knows the offense better if he was outplayed by Streveler within parameters of that same offense time and again and again? There should be a true merit system in place IMO. Given Saleh's comments that he views White as a starter, the fact he does know the offense, and that he finally had one good game out of the three in pre-season, I think he keeps his job. Even though I personally disagree with that decision. I actually think Mike has a better chance to clear waivers than Streveler does.

8. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.