Chad to Agent: Keep me in NY

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 24, 2006.

1. NUKE FOXBORO

NUKE FOXBORO New Member

the same noodle arm qb would've had us in the afc title game if it werent for doug brien... i dont remember anyone calling him noodle arm after he threw that bomb to santana--with an already torn shoulder.

i agree with the skeptics that a 2nd surgery could make him toast but we dont know that for sure.. nobody will work harder to recover than chad..
    one thing we will know judging from 35 years of miserable misfortune, if we do release chad- he will recover with another team and win 3 superbowls.
    that is and always has been our luck.

the bottom line is the bottom line.. how much money is he willing to cut.. im sure any deal will be heavily incentive laden.

nuke foxboro speaks.

2. RDriven3

RDriven3 New Member

And in typical Jets fashion he will go to some new team and win a SB with them, oh well it will just give us a reason to rag on Chad hater's like you :wink:

3. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

Nuke- one throw to Santana will not convince me that the guy had any worth.

More importantly, if the guy were even close to as good as you would like for me to believe, our season would not have hinged on a pathetic FG try, rather, we would have been up by 2 or 3 touchdowns by the half , courtesy of chad. Of course, Chad couldn't deliver, so everything hung on Brien, who choked.

4. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

No sir, the noodle came immediately after when he suffered his first injury. But don't forget that even up until that point, he was never known for his gun, just accuracy.

I'm calling 02 for what it was, a fluke.

To think that some sportswriters actually had the gall to compare this guy to Montana.

5. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I think what happened was that CMart took a hefty paycut and we sent a ton of guys packing. Chad has now got to thinking about the probability and possibility of having to go to another team. Suddenly it sinks in that given the Jets current situation, Chad needs us a lot more than we need him. That sort of leverage is a pretty good tool to have on your side.

I'm a big fan of Chad's and would love to see him eventually heal and come back better than ever. Unfortunately, there is only so much you can dream before you have to face reality. The only way we should keep him is if he comes to us dirt cheap. Should he by some miracle come back healthy and win the starting spot great. If he only comes back healthy he makes a decent backup at the least.

6. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Did CMart take a hefty pay cut or did he restructure?

Chad may want to make a deal because he has no confidence that he can even pass a physical. If he restructures and it isn't a new contract but a restructured deal he may not have to pass a physical to get paid the 1 million minimum the Jets are offering? Any one know the answer to this?

7. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I think we're assigning way too much weight to the issue of whether or not Tom Condon winds up "saving face" regarding his bargaining prowess. I don't think getting the restructuring done is going to be as gut-wrenching as we expect. On the surface, it would appear Condon's on the ropes. But it's Chad who's really on the ropes and his agent has no control over the amount of damage Chad sustained. In the world of players-agent relations, Condon will come out smelling like a rose and have just as many players flocking to him as he ever had, especially after he saves Pennington's job. After this is all over, his attitude and take on the situation will be, "Look, with that shoulder, it was a miracle I got him any money at all. It was only through my skill and contacts that I was able to get him what I did! Any other agent couldn't have gotten him squat!"

It's all a cat and mouse game. Penny will wind up with $2-3 million instead of the $1 million we're proposing, which is still probably more than he's worth.

8. Jetzz

Jetzz Active Member

I was under the impression that Curtis took a paycut, but in all honesty, I came to that from reading these forums briefly over the last couple of days. it may have been a restructure. I know he got a lot of praise from the front office for putting the team ahead of himself though. :up:

Interesting thoughts about the need for a physical. Another reason he will end up needing us much more than we need him.

9. O'Brien7

O'Brien7 New Member

I would feel a lot better about the Jets chances in '06 if Pennington is back, healthy. Plus, the Jets could use their higher draft picks on the O & D Line, maybe a CB or LB.

10. Mehl-56

Mehl-56 Well-Known Member

FYI... Pennington and Healthy in the same sentence is an OXY-MORON

Ellis

11. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

I see, kick him when hes down, typical Jets fan.

12. namath4ever

namath4ever Member

How about Hackets play calling and Herms conservative nature, do you totall discount those factors? Any by the way WHO had a 2-3 TD lead on the Steelers last year, thats right NOBODY.

13. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Even if Chad doesn't become anything close to the QB he once was, Chad staying would let us draft Ferguson and secure our offensive line. All I want is a solid O-line, and then we can work from there. All these offensive line cuts look promising.
    We should bring Chad back for a lot less money (assuming he agrees) and work on our offensive line. See what Houston has next season, and see if Chad has anything left.
    I don’t want Jay Cutler, any team with a solid offensive line can produce a 1,200 yard running back and a 2,500 yard passer.

14. winstonbiggs

I assume your good with Brooks starting next year? When do you think we should address the QB of our future, next year the year after?

15. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

When should we adderess our offensive line problem? We cant run or throw the ball. At least if we had a half way descent o-line we might be able to run the ball.

16. xjets2002x

xjets2002x Active Member

Pennington is a consumnate team player. He is in this situation because he played hurt, got us to the playoffs, and took a slew of criticism for the subpar season he had while gritting it out. He came back because he felt he had a responsibility to the team, and now he's going to restructure because he is a team-first guy. All the people who bash him forget what a character guy he is and how good he was when healthy. I hope this refreshes things a bit for you.

-X-

17. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

You can draft o-line throughout the draft. A lot of the better O-lines in football are made up of late round picks. It's really coaching and training camp, and working together. I think we'll use some Day 1 picks this year. Drafting a lineman in the first round early usually doesn't pay off in terms of cost-benefit analysis though, because QBs and other skill positions (except WRs, which seem to usually be Round 2 talent) are harder to fill. Especially QB. Biggest payoff if you get it right though. Remember, KMac was a 3rd rounder, and he is a very good lineman.

18. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

No, he's in this situation because he is an eggshell and signed a ridiculously bloated contract. Tom Brady has been playing with an injury for years now to his shoulder.

19. KOZ

KOZ Totally Addicted

OK maybe 2-3TD's is stretching it, but if Chad was as good as some of you would like to believe, our season would not be resting on a lone FG.

Sorry, I just don't buy the Chad hype, he was good at one point in his career, and will never be the same. We've been through the separation, and I'm ready for divorce.

That being said, I am sure that his side and the team will come to an understanding on some $ figure, he'll ride the pine for a year and be released at the end of next season.

20. winstonbiggs

Pennington got over paid by playing hardball with the Jets and demanding a contract before the 04 season after he had a pretty poor 03. Had he been a team player he would have negiotated a fair deal for the team instead of using the leverage he got from 3/4 of a good season to put a gun to the teams head. If he was a team first guy he would except vet minimum from the Jets with incentives. My guess is he knows he can't pass a physical with any other team and the money the Jets have allready put on the table is more than he will earn anywhere else at this point.