Chad Pennington is the best Jets QB of the past two decades

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by eyedea, Sep 23, 2014.

1. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Easily. Not even up for debate. If only he never got hurt . . .

2. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Chad was a master of the play action pass.. something that is nearly extinct in this new system where Geno rarely lines up under center. Its pretty sad when we have to admit that the franchises best QB in history was injury prone and due to that never lived up to expectations. Its more of an indictment of how shitty this franchise has been in picking QB's. If Bradway had only gotten his way in wanting Russell Wilson..

Damn it sucks being a Jets fan..

3. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

Ken O'Brien was pretty good too but we never won shit with him either. What's the point of this thread?

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I want a great one too but those guys are pretty rare.

5. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Agreed. This is something that is just not making sense to me.

This year's team has a great setup of running backs, but they rarely use any play action. Of course, this would require the Jets to actually run out of the gun (delay or option, anyone?) and, for some reason, they seem to be highly averse to even trying that. Could Smith be good at it? We'll probably never know because the mentorship/teaching/coaching isn't there.

Pennington was probably the best ball-fake QB we've had in some time. Favre was good in week one against Miami, but he was different -- definitely not the QB that we, the fans, hoped we were getting. Moreso than Favre, Pennington's play displayed a rare combination of heart and smarts. The Wilson comparison is an apt one.

I'm not ready to throw in the towel on Smith. Think about where he was this time last year - a tiny guy who tried to pass the football behind his back to himself. Smith isn't great right now, but he's young. He's got the physical tools, and his results show (at least) a desire to improve. Smith has to get better with reading defenses, situations, and leading his receivers. From my seat at the bar, I'm not convinced that he will never win the big game. Just trying to be patient.

Sent using Tapatalk

6. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

It sure would be nice, wouldn't it?

7. Mean Green Machine

Mean Green Machine Active Member

If Chad had any arm strength or velocity, he would've been a Top 25 QB OAT at least. Dude had the mind and awareness but a laughable arm.

Geno is total opposite but Geno's arm isn't all that great either.

8. chris5533

chris5533 Well-Known Member

Chad was very good and on his way to being amazing, but of course the jet curse strikes and he becomes injury prone and serious injuries. I wonder how he could have been. Shame

9. MexicanJet

MexicanJet Well-Known Member

It's funny, because me and my friends were talking about this topic last night after the game. (me and one other Jet fan, a Dolphins fan and a few Giants fans) so a lot of it was unbiased. Chad would have been great if he could stay healthy. Doesn't matter if he had CMart (it helped a lot) or L Coles, or Chrebet for a while, he was smart as hell. It's a true shame that he couldn't have good health. It robbed us, as Jets fans, and NFL fans, IMHO. I loved Chad.

Geno is a moron and will never be half of what Chad was.

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I see Wilson and Chad as almost polar opposites actually. Both have good decision making but Wilson is a gunner with real mobility. Chad had some mobility but he was a very careful precision passer on the run. I've never seen a QB throw as well on the run as Chad did. It was almost like he isolated his throwing motion from everything else when he was on the move and sacrificed power for pinpoint accuracy. He made some of the most beautiful touch passes I've ever seen, especially to the corner of the end zone.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

You realize that if Russell Wilson had come to the Jets he would still have been throwing to Stephen Hill with Vlad Ducasse trying to keep people off of him right?

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Game in New England, brutal wind and rain (Dec., 2007). Kellen Clements stupidly attempts to throw a pass from his own goal line with Richard Seymour in his face and it's a pick 6 by Eugene Wilson and immediately 7-0 New England. Brad Smith at QB pulls off a nice option play with Leon Washington but little else. Pennington's now in. Along with the defense, weak-armed Pennington (again in a brutal wind) nevertheless knew how to manage the game correctly. Jets got a TD on a blocked punt return, but returned the favor themselves by having a punt blocked inside their 5 yard line. Per the thread title, any other QB in the past two decades would've allowed it to snowball into a rout with stupid, careless, not-take-care-of-the-ball mistakes. Chris Baker with a huge fumble at the New England 15 yard line as well as Mike Nugent blowing a FG and the Jets could've possibly stolen the game. Brady 14-27-140; Pennington 25-38-184. A twice damaged rotator cuff...and that's all she wrote.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Chad should be on this coaching staff

14. No Fly Zone

No Fly Zone Well-Known Member

Thanks for reminding me !

15. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Chad Pennington was the best play action passer I have ever seen. The way he performed the fake hand off was almost artistic.

16. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

Sorry but Favre in 08 for the first 11 games was the best QB play from a Jets QB Ive ever seen.

If he stays healthy we might win a Superbowl that season.

Pennington in 2002 was great but I give Favre the edge.

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

you couldn't be more wrong. favre killed us that year including many of the first 11 games. Chad stays and we easily win the division, Favre sabotaged our season. he had a few very good games but that was it.

I am so sick of hearing about favre's health, the man made his career on playing through pain. he doesn't get that excuse when he fails. His arm was more than good enough, it was boneheaded decision making that cost us like it had most of the season.

18. 101GangGreen101

GTFO.

19. irishwhip03

irishwhip03 Well-Known Member

How quickly people forget. When we were 8-3 people were talking Superbowl because of Favre.

20. 101GangGreen101

Fools gold in my opinion that entire season was fools gold. Chad was better in 2002 anyway. Dude was hot the minute he started for us and ended the season for us very well also.

I thought we had the next freaking Joe Montana, people were comparing Chad to him as well.

nyjunc likes this.