Chad Henne vs Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by zor, Dec 14, 2009.

1. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

See! LOL!

Ginn DOES have more drops in one game that Edwards has all year, LOL! I think he had 5 against the Saints...

2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Henne - Makes Bad throws at critical times (I think he has around 7 4QTR Picks); Doesn't do anything really great but things decently (which I admit) To me he just seems like an average QB, yeah he wins da games but so does Vince Young; to me watching from home, he isn't the best decision maker, but plays it safe, he'll eventually be a better QB but I expect more from him cause he sat on the bench and watched Chad Pennington play, hes got a great deep ball that IMO that's the only thing working, he's somewhat accurate, but he can manage a game extremely well getting safe short passes in to set up the running game

Sanchez - Accurate as shit when he sets his feet or on the run, throws a beautiful deep ball, commands the huddle, can make some incredible throws, isn't scared to run out of the pocket to get more yards, the only thing that really prevents Sanchez from being great at this time is his decision making and his ability to read the defense and make adjustments at the line once that happens and the game tends to slow down then i'm liking Sanchez more in the near future, these are just my personal opinions on the 2 QBs, granted Sanchez makes some dumbass mistakes but IMO once he realizes that he doesn't have to complete every throw and the game slows down i'm liking his ceiling

Now no knock on Henne (I never thought he was great to begin with starting in Michigan) but they both will be serviceable QBs

3. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Good Idea-

Henne had 2 pick sixes that game.

NO dropped 46 on your guys.... lol 4 coming from their offense.

The Saints said the best D they played all year was the Jets. Holding them to 10 points.

4. 101GangGreen101

I would like to add that, if it wasn't for certain games that Sanchez himself fucked up (Saints, Pats, Bills pt 1) then we would be in the race for the AFC East crown, but I can only blame the CS for letting the fool continue to throw when the running game is doing well and putting him in position to fail as to succeed, that is what the dolphins have over the Jets, 4th QTR management and being able to finish out games, I do give the fins credit for that one, I can't just shit on the Fins all day, I mean I could but I choose not to

5. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I remember a lot of O'Brien vs Marino arguments back in the day, too.

6. ukilledkenny

ukilledkenny You bastards!

i can only hope the jets don't end up with the short end of the stick yet again in these qb comparisons.

7. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

They were very short arguments.

8. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Not in the beginning. Remember the Jets went 11-5 then started 10-1 in O'Brien's first two years as starter--prompting Johnny U comparisons for a while.

9. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

I bash our WRs, b/c they deserve it. What WR corps wouldnt you take over Miami's? Maybe Cleveland's?

They are at the bottom of the league... And wouldn't be getting near the playing time they are getting in Miami if they were on most other NFL rosters...

10. Talisman

Talisman Active Member

that wasn't my point though. I'm not trying to say that they are better than anyone else's receiving corp. But I _am_ saying that they are NFL receivers, which means that they are talented enough to play at this level. My contention is that an NFL caliber receiver will catch a vast majority of well thrown balls.

YACs and "heart" are different as well. A QB is only responsible for the time the ball leaves his hands until it hits the WR in the hands. Whatever happens after that is out of his control, so you can't really use WRs to gauge QB potential, it just muddys the water even more from what is already a sewer-esq opaqueness

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

I never remeber anyone comparing O'Brien to Johny U but he certainly was never in Marino's class.

O'Brein made the pro bowl in his second year, Marino was all pro his second year. He threw 48 TD's in his second year.

I don't see Chad Henne or Sanchez being another Marino. Nothing about either one of them leaps out at you like that.

#111 winstonbiggs, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  12. MoLewisSoNasty

MoLewisSoNasty New Member

"Sanchez keeping Jets out of playoffs"
    By Tim Graham

How much differently would the New York Jets' season have gone if they'd gone with a competent veteran quarterback instead of erratic rookie Mark Sanchez?

We woke up Monday morning to see the Jets ranked first in the NFL in rushing offense, first in total defense and first in passing defense.

That would appear to be a winning formula. Yet the Jets are on the outer fringes of the AFC playoff race. They're tied with the Miami Dolphins, Jacksonville Jaguars and Baltimore Ravens at 7-6, but all three of them have tiebreaker advantages over the Jets and easier remaining schedules.

The Jets probably won't make the playoffs, and when they look back on it, the reason will be their decision to start Sanchez all year rather than have him serve as an apprentice.

Maybe one day he'll prove to be worthy of his "Sanchise" moniker, but he killed them in 2009.

The Jets didn't need a superstar. All they needed was someone who wasn't capable of throwing four or five interceptions a game. Behind workhorse back Thomas Jones, the Jets are averaging 169.1 rushing yards a game. They're limiting opponents to 264.7 total yards and 160.4 passing yards a game. The Jets rank 27th in team passer rating at 62.4.

Sanchez, during that repugnant stretch in which the Jets lost six out of seven games in October and November, threw six touchdown passes and 14 interceptions. Take away one of those games -- say, the five-interception performance in a sudden-death loss to the Buffalo Bills at the Meadowlands -- and the Jets are in control of their own destiny.

I'm not convinced Kellen Clemens, who started Sunday's blowout over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because of Sanchez's knee injury, would have been the answer. Clemens would love to be considered an average NFL quarterback.

But what if the Jets had signed somebody such as Jeff Garcia or somehow convinced Brett Favre to give it another whirl?

I totally disagree with this assessment. Sanchez lost us the Buffalo game, but we would have never beaten New England or Miami with Kellen Clemens. Sanchez is not the best QB in the AFC, but he has shown signs of great potential, and I'm content with how the Jets have decided to use him.

13. 101GangGreen101

Yeah I read that article as well, I'm extremely happy we decided to start Sanchez, he's gave us a chance to win cept for the 3 horrible games; Kellen would of lost more games for us this season I think, but they always tend to forget the games where Sanchez put us in position to win games only for our D or ST (Dolfags twice, Jags) to fuck up and lose the game for us, at least the future is bright for this team ... well we can hope

That's 3 loses we should of won, we would have 10 wins right now despite Sanchez crazy pick games, 11 if we decided to run the ball against Buffalo the first game, a buzz-kill indeed

14. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

This article is horse shit...He had maybe 3 bad games..

15. MoLewisSoNasty

MoLewisSoNasty New Member

If the Jets never had a setback all season and played to their potential every game, we SHOULD be 11-2. However, that hardly happens in the NFL. Every team has their ups and downs. The Jets just had more downs when they were capable of playing better. With this core of talent of coaching behind Rex, the Jets will be a consistent playoff team for the next 5-6 years I hope. Dare I say 1 Super Bowl in that span? :breakdance:

16. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

In his 9 starts, he has 6 4th quarter INTs. But instead of just looking in the stat book... take a look at the actual INTs. Were they really bad throws?

Most of them, no. Half of them came against Buffalo, and none of the 3 were bad decisions or throws. He got hit while throwing one, causing it to just flutter straight up in the air. The other 2 were tipped at the LOS. Thats 3 of the 6 right there. Then, the one in the Saints game, it was 4th and 13, we run a PA, he turns around and is about to get sacked. He takes the sack, the games over... so he quickly throws a prayer and it gets INT'ed. Were any of those considered "bad throws"? Not really.

Hes had 2 bad throws that lead to INTs in his 9 starts. One against the Bucs, and the other against the Pats.

Come on... you've seen that from Sanchez but you havent seen any of that from Henne? His command of the huddle has been terrific, especially after he got his first couple of starts under his belt. And he has made spectacular throws, particularly in the intermediate passing game. Both lasers and throws with touch. Perfectly placed passes. Hes made throws that I have never seen made in a Fins uni since I really started following football (2002. Unfortunately missed out on the Marino years).

17. jetzIII

jetzIII New Member

I always said, as soons as Henne started for the Fins, they would be a different team.
    The kid is good and the Fins have had are number for 2 seasons now..

18. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Damn!!

Do you think you are going to come to a Jet forum and convince us your 24 year old second year is better then our 22 year old rookie QB??????????

Give it up, Henne is good. Mark is good, and will be much better.

He's more athletic and has better pocket awareness and will only get better.

Just be happy with Henne and leave it be.

Do any Jet fans on here care about Henne right now? He hasn't shown me anything that makes me say, "oh shit we're done for the next 8 years."

Good Luck-

19. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

Your D is good. But back to Henne... you want to hold both of those pick 6's against Henne? The first one, was a perfectly thrown ball, over the CB and before the Safety can get over. It hits Ginn right in the hands, he doesnt catch it, and instead tips it up in the air. The CB then tips it again, and then the Safety comes in an intercepts it.

Heres the video of it...
    http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2009102510/2009/REG7/saints@dolphins#tab:watch

You wanna put that on Henne? lol

And I've talked at great length about the 2nd INT in that game in earlier posts in this thread...

20. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

They arent talented enough to START at this level though... and thats my point. Yet, in Miami, they do b/c we have no one else. There arent many teams, if any, that would start any of our WRs.

And who is talking about YAC? I'm not talking about once the ball is actually caught. I'm talking about everything leading up to that. First, what routes does the defense have to be concerned about when defending the WRs. If they cant run half the route tree... that changes how they have to defend them... making it much easier. Then... can the WR get separation on routes he is capable of running? If a WR cant get separation on a play, the QB has to check to a different WR, or throw an extremely hard pass into a very tight window. Then, if the WR does get open, maybe by finding a hole in a zone or something... can he actually catch the ball when its thrown to him?

All of those things are big factors before YAC is even brought into the equation...