Chad Henne vs Mark Sanchez

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by zor, Dec 14, 2009.

1. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

lol :beer:

And thats Super Mario Chalmers of the Miami Heat... :wink:

#61 FinNasty, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  2. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

Thats the thing that has really stuck out to me, and I was surprised about. I wasnt one huge Henne fan before we started playing him this year. But the kid has remained so cool, even in big spots. He throws a terrible INT in the Tampa game that gives them the go ahead score. Henne? He just calmly leads the team down for the game winning FG... un-phased...

Throws an INT against the Pats? Gets the ball back on his own 6... and goes like 7/8 for 76 yards and leads us down for a FG right before the end of the half, w/ us getting the ball back in the 3rd.

Hes helped lead the team back from 4th quarter deficits 5 times... 3 on game winning drives. Its that kinda stuff I did not expect out of a young QB...

#62 FinNasty, Dec 14, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  3. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

he'd be a bust, but the wierd thing is the defense would save him and the team would win 7-9 games on average.... so nothing would change.

Since he's a top 5 pick, we expect him to get deep into the playoffs more than once and see a Jets home playoff game at least twice.

Schotty can ruin that.

4. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

The way I see it personally, not that anyone cares

If I had to pick a quarterback to start this coming sunday and I have the choice of Henne or Sanchez, I'd pick Henne. But, if I need to pick my future franchise quarterback, I gotta say I like Sanchez. I think once he settles in and gets another TC in with his receivers, he'll start to develop into a legitimate franchise quarterback. I see that 'special something', as gay as that sounds, in Sanchez. Maybe it's the Jets bias in me wanting our players to do well, but yep.. that's how I see it

5. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^ that's not gay to say "something special" if you mentioned where you think you saw something special and it was his crotch, then very gay.

6. xeticus

xeticus Member

This is the truth here. Once Ginn got removed as a starter our receivers got better as a group. Our other guys don't have his breathtaking speed but they are better overall receivers. By that I mean they can actually catch the ball. Camarillo especially. There was a game this year he caught a ball with his butt. It's the only way to describe it. Miami gets a true #1 receiver though and Henne will light it up.

7. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

The same reasons I thought he'd be better coming out of college. He is a leader, great footwork, well above average arm, smart player, ability to overcome adversity. For henne he has a big time arm and is also able to overcome adversity but he has lead feet and in college he struggled in big games. We'll see what happens, I still think sanchez will be better but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't impressed w/ henne this year.

How is henne's situation much more difficult? henne has had no pressure on him as the dolphins are playing w/ house money now as everyone thought their season was over months ago. It's Jason taylor syndrome, he always plays his best when the pressure is lowest.

Again, I am impressed w/ Henne this year but Sanchez walked into a much more difficult situation as a starter from day 1.

henne has also thrown some key LATE INTs that hurt his team(and some that luckily for him did not). Sanchez did that once(vs. buf) but he was awful all game long, he has had 3 awful games where the majority of his INts have been thrown but other than those games he has been good protecting the ball especially late in close games while henne has struggled a bit w/ that.

Sanchez was doing just fine before the color coded system from Ryan. He had 3 awful games and played well in the rest, he's only had a game and a 1/2 w/ the color coded system so he hasn't had much opportunity to have a bad game yet. That was so overblown w/ rex putting that system in place.

Henne is Frankenstein, an emotionless stiff monster. His best quality has been the ability to forget bad plays and move on.

As far as these "comebacks", he has 3:

Down 27-24 vs. Jets, win 31-27
    Down 23-22 vs. Bucs, win 25-23
    Down 21-19 going into 4th against NE, win 22-21

He has done a great job but he isn't exactly bringing this team back from big 4th qtr deficits.

Sanchez has also led his team to late leads but our D hasn't been able to close it out: at Miami, vs. jacksonville

The bottom line is it looks like we both have QBs of the future, I wouldn't trade ours and I'm sure Miami fans wouldn't trade theirs- this rivalry will be huge once again over the next few years.

8. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

there is no way even the sunniest jet fan can say that henne hasn't outperformed sanchez consistently this year. IMO henne has but it has less to do with base talent and more to do with coaching....

with sanchez some of the basic NFL throws have gotten to be a small adventure, not all of them, but enough to make you say the game hasn't slowed down at all for him yet. i have seen henne throw the 12 yard out, sideline comback, WR screens, and they appear to be less of a cluster fuk for him than sanchez, at this point....

now most of you folks are gonna say jilozzo is a douche bag for saying this so lets get this straight now -sanchez is the better QB - but its gonna take him more time to reach his level than henne will take to reach his.

at this point dan henning is the wild card for henne and IMO the main reason henne has performed this well. throw in parcells as well as he is a very very good QB coach - we have seen that first hand with testaverde and lucas.

henne also benefits from the wild cat, especially when brown was in there, as it creates a little adversity for a defense which benefits the passing game.

jil

#68 jilozzo, Dec 15, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
  9. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

I say Henne's situation has been more difficult, b/c he is surrounded with possibly the worst supporting cast in the NFL... literally. His targets to throw to are a joke. There are literally 20 teams in the league that have a #1 WR AND a #2 WR better than any of ours. And that isnt even factoring in receiving TEs. Hell, just look at our division...

The only bad INT Henne has thrown in the 4th quarter was against Tampa. After that, he then lead the team down for the game winning FG, with some big plays, including on 3rd downs.

The INTs for Buffalo? He got hit while throwing 1, and the other 2 were tipped at the LOS. They werent bad decisions or bad throws. Just bad breaks. Same with his INT in the 4th against the Saints. 4th and 13, we run playaction (Playaction?!? On 4th & 13?!? And you guys think Henning is smart?)... Henne turns around after the PA, is about to get sacked, and throws a prayer. He takes the sack there, and the game is over. The prayer gets INTed.

And why do you put "comebacks" in quotes like that? All 3 of the game winning scores on those drives came with under 2min left in the game?

10. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

The Wildcat doesnt effect Henne and the passing game. Its not like a regular running game w/ playaction.

And Henning... really? I dont know why you guys like this fool so much. Hes a moron. We've lost multiple games b/c of his playcalling...

11. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I've seen some very questionable calls from Henning but I do think he runs a more QB friendly system. His first priority is to protect the QB even if that means max protection. Schottys offense seems more complex to me with a lot of bullshit going on presnap.

12. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

i didn't say anything about playcalling.......its hennings work with the young QB that earns him a star - as well as BP....

i also beg to differ with the wildcat......earlier in the year and last year, especially against the jets - defenses were on the ropes at times and IMO the base passing game benefitted from that.

now if henne had a better set of wheels - that would be scary for most defenses.

jil

13. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

Well, he did have his first rushing TD last week... :wink:

14. nyjunc

he doesn't have great WRs but he has a really good OL and an excellent backfield. He's not QBing the '76 Bucs.

I think he did a great job on those final drives but when I see 1-3 pt comebacks I laugh- that's not a comeback.

Just about every fan hates their OC and wishes they had another teams OC.

15. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

Well, great. He has a good running game. But when its time for him to throw the ball... you know, his job... he has no one to throw the ball to, lol. Not having any receivers or a receiving TE is a pretty big deal. I feel like you are sweeping that under the rug as no big deal.

And they are game winning drives. I dont know how you can possibly just poo poo a game winning drive as no big deal for a first year QB. I mean, thats when the pressure is on. Thats when your teammates are looking at you to see what you got. And thats when he stepped up. Poo poo those if you want... but if Sanchez had 3 game winning drives, I guarantee you that you'd be talking about those as well...

16. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Are you still talking about this??

24 year old Henne to our 22 year old Mark.

There isn't anything to compare yet.

How do you think Henne would've faired starting his rookie year with a rookie HC, and no savvy veteran to turn to?

Dumb conversation-

17. nyjunc

sanchez has set us up for 2 game winning drives and our D blew it each time.

I think Henne has done a really good job, I am very impressed but I think people make too big of deal "coming back" from 1,2 and 3 pt deficits in reg season games w/ all 3 being at home and one of the 3 against an awful Tampa team.

I am not trying to take credit away from him, I just think too much is made out of those comebacks.

he is clearly ahead of sanchez right now but hopefully for both guys there are many, many years to debate this subject. I hope this becomes the Brady vs. manning debate of the 20teens:beer:

18. FinNasty

FinNasty Member

Its a dumb conversation? For a message board? lol

No, comparing Sanchez or Henne to Namath or Marino is a dumb conversation. Comparing a couple of young inexperienced QBs in their first starts isn't dumb.

19. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

Okay-

Compare Kellen to Henne they have similar experience.

Kellen is 26, so have it him.

Mark has been in the league one year and started right off the bat. Henne couldn't get the job from Pennington, very similar to Kellen.

Go with that one.

20. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

To be honest I'm really not impressed with Henne at all, granted hes cool in pressure time, but I don't really see what the big deal is, Sanchez will definitely be the better QB at the end of the day

I wish Sanchez had Pennington to teach him the ways of being a QB in today's game, Henne has been on the bench for a year, i'm not impressed honestly