Can't wait for Rex to be fired

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by tomdeb, Aug 20, 2013.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

who cares who brought in the talent? Parcells won w/ Steinberg/carroll/Coslet players, Herm won w/ those guys plus some BP guys then won again w/ a new regime, mangini won w/ Bradway players. What difference does it make?

2. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

The difference is that Mangini brought those guys in in TWO YEARS. Rex has been here 4. Who has he acquired? What player has he developed? What draft pick have we hit on? Rex is a good coach for a Veteran team who can coach themselves. With guys like Ray Lewis, and other leaders who will not tolerate any mess from younger players. Put him on a rebuilding team and he's no good.

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Here's Mangini's fatal flaw:

2006 drafted Kellen Clemens
    2007 traded up twice for defensive players putting most of the Jets chips on that side of the ball
    2008 signed Brett Favre

You mismanage the QB position 3 years running and you're going to get fired. That's where Rex is this year. If he goes with Sanchez again and it fails he's going to get fired.

4. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

In the four years that Rex has been head coach the Jets have developed one WR in Jeremy Kerley and three defensive linemen in Sione Pouha, Mike DeVito and Muhammad Wilkerson. That's a big part of the reason the Jets are in trouble right now.

They've developed nobody noteworthy at QB, RB, TE, OT, OG, LB, CB or S. All the proven value on the roster right now outside of Kerley and Wilkerson predates Rex's arrival as head coach.

Hopefully this draft will begin to fix the problem and a few people like DeMario Davis, Kyle Wilson, Bilal Powell and Jeff Cumberland will play well enough to begin to make the ledger look better for Rex.

I'm including Pouha and DeVito on the Rex side of the ledger because they were JAG's before he showed up and good players afterwards. He didn't find them but he did make them valuable.

5. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Fair point. but If you followed the summer of favre at all you'd know Mangini didn't want him.

Im not saying Mangini didn't mess up tho. Not at all. I am merely pointing out that he acquired a lot of talent which Rex inherited.

6. nyjunc

Mangini and rex were not GMs, they were involved in the decision making process. we had a good run in 2006/2007, what happened in 2008? Under rex we have brought in a ton of starters and Mo Wilkerson looks to be an AP caliber DE.

7. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Well said.

8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Nothing positive so no need relating it. The show is repeated on ESPN2 so catch it there & hear it for yourself. If you are hoping he said we are true SB contenders forget it :sad:

9. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

I like Mo but lets not get carried away.

Rex's Track record just doesn't compare. That's the point I'm making.

10. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

By demoting MS RR would admit he shit the bed & RR has far to big a ego to do that :sad:

11. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

No, the difference is that Tannenbaum decided who would be brought in, not Ryan. Why the fuck do you think Tannenbaum is gone and Ryan is still here?

12. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Ok, so Rex doesn't get involved in the O and he gives zero input on any personnel decisions. All the more reason he should be fired.

13. NJBeliever

NJBeliever Active Member

Lol. Soon he won't have a choice.

14. nyjunc

Wilkerson is a beast, if we were good last year he would be a household name.

rex isn't a GM, we had 2 1st rd picks in 2006 and hit on both, this year was the 1st year we had 2 #1s w/ rex- let's compare then.

15. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

I don't buy it. I addressed this earlier in the thread. Basically, Those Mangini guys on defense were never better than 16th overall until Rex got here with his players (Bart Scott, Jim Leonhard, there was a D-Lineman who I can't remember) and his system and made it into a top-10 unit. Most of us would agree that the team's success in 09-10 was due to defense, and the defense has been consistently good with or without "Mangini guys".

On offense, 2009 brought in major contributions from Sanchez, Shonn Greene, Braylon Edwards then in 2010 Holmes and Slauson. The best that can be said for Mangini was that he left D'Brick and Mangold. Having 2/5 of your line set with all-pros is nice. And it's not like the offense was so great in '09 with the Mangini guys.

16. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I agree with one thing, Rex should have already been fired.

1. The team has consitantly gotton worse each year under him.

2. Doesn't know how to lead, knows nothing of the offense, and blaming everyone but himself.

3. His drafting and FA signing has been horrible. Who is our starting RB, starting TE, starting WR, starting QB... the list goes on and three weeks into the pre-season we have no clue.

4. As a defensive guru, his defense is horrible for all the money and picks we put into it.

5. He has not has control of his players or the lockerroom in two years and admits so.

He is his dad's son to a fault and I will be glad when we have a new HC.

17. sec314

sec314 Well-Known Member

Rex is a clown. He cant manage a game... see right before half nor manage QB's ( See Gino's ankle). He is a big mouth defensive coordinator and that's it. I can't take another year of him and Mexi

18. FlashGordon

FlashGordon Active Member

That mess at the half is all on Sanchez. Rex from the post-game. First he "takes responsibility, but then tells you what really happened:
    http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/arti...c-bacaa034e4bb
    And "Gino's" ankle? Is Rex overruling team doctors now?

19. nyjunc

He didn't draft pouha

20. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Rex is old school - behind the times. The league is changing.

The rules make it easier to win with an up tempo offensive-minded team. Teams are developing analytic departments and weighing a players value based on situations than trying to win physically with your set in stone scheme. (Rex's mantra) "smashmouth" slow paced football is on the way OUT.

The league is at a crossroads - look at all the new hires : Chip Kelly, Bradley in Jax, Marrone in Buf, McCoy in SD, Trestman in CHI, all developing these up tempo, almost college style offenses based on ideas that come out of the analytic depts..

Then you have your old school coaches that are changing to adopt these styles: The Harbaughs, Belichicken, Carroll, Payton, Shanahan.

These are going to be the guys that last, they are on the forefront of a revolution in the sport.

The Pittsburgh Steelers are a great example of a team/style behind the times. They look almost exactly like they have since the 70s - a smashmouth team. I'm willing to put any amount of money on the fact that in 5 years they will either:

A) look nothing like what we've came to know the Pittsburgh Steelers as
    or
    B) stick to their style and become perennial cellar dwellers. (currently they've made it known they have no interest in analytics and trust their style)

Rex is cut in the mold of a Ditka, Cowher, his old man, a Bum Phillips, etc. EVERYTHING about him is more like the past of this game - than the future.
    If the Jets were a stock, and I was a shareholder- I'd be selling big time.