Can Jeremy Kerley be our Wes Welker

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by thirtyoddfreestyle, Oct 12, 2011.

1. GrindHouse

GrindHouse Member

He can't because we have Sanchez not Brady.

2. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

Yes, a rookie is going to be just like a pro bowl slot receiver with Tom Brady throwing to him.

3. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

With all due respect bro...you always come in threads and say something is not funny and threaten to ban people when most people find something funny or amusing. Moderating based on your own sense of humor seems a little extreme imho.

i generally respect what you have to say and enjoy your jets related posts, but just because you don't find something amusing doesn't mean others should or shouldn't. Mods are supposed to be objective, not subjective

#23 jets_fan_in_fishtown, Oct 13, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2011
  4. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

I think the thread derailing is the issue.

5. MURDR

MURDR Banned

inb4ban

:shit:

6. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

yeah the white/black jokes MAY be getting a bit stale. If Kerley can run routes as preciselt as Welker, we'll all love him regardless of how/where hes utilized

7. GatorGar

GatorGar Active Member

The white/black jokes are old.

That being said, I like what I see in Kerley so far. I think he can be a good slot receiver.

8. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

Roddy White

[​IMG]

9. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

UGH- I HATE agreeing with a Pats fan, but this. People are killing me talking about Welker as if he weren't shit. I remember he was dangerous on the Dolphins at least against the Jets (I didn't really follow him in any other game), and I remember when I heard him going to NE, I was like "WTF is Miami doing!"

That said, I can't imagine Welker leaves NE for any amount of money, and I am excited about Kerley's potential, especially since it seems he already has something of a chemistry with Mark.

10. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I don't quite get the Kerley-loving going on this year. Not until I see more. They made us think we'd have an AFC Rookie of the year candidate the way he was talked-up this summer.

He looked pretty good last Sunday, but the thing about him that I was surprised about was how small he is. He seems to be much easier to bring down than Welker.

At this point to me at least, he's Chansi Stuckey.

11. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Easier to bring down? I was drunk as hell, so maybe I'm wrong, but didn't the kid take a whollop at one point during the game, either after a catch or in protection? Like I said, I may have imagined that.

I get wanting to see more, because lord knows it seems we were hyped to believe a lot of shit in the preseason that hasn't been or wasn't. But that said, this was his first serious action, and he did well. And Mark seems to like him. That gives me plenty hope.

12. JfaulkNYJ

JfaulkNYJ New Member

[​IMG]

science proves it can be done.

13. Massena

Massena New Member

We will know the answer to this question in a couple of years. But I love the speculation on what race he should be, not to mention just the speculation in general.

14. ManlyGenius

ManlyGenius New Member

If you haven't noticed, the do this with just about every draft pick every single year.

We'd all be better informed about how good these guys are if we just ignored any off-season and pre-season noise.

15. Cellar-door

Cellar-door Active Member

I don't get where the idea comes from that Welker is a system player. His stats are the same in New England as in Miami, he just gets the ball more. In Miami he got the ball 60 or so times in New England he gets it over 100, his averages are the same. He is used better in New England, and has a more accurate QB but he is still one of the quickest guys and best route runners, with great hands. Any team he was on he'd be effective.

16. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I believe that only about one skill position player have been allowed to play up to his potential on our offense: Brad Smith. We used him exactly the way he should have been used.

Everybody else is a square peg in a round hole. Coles, Cotch, Bray, Keller, TJ, LT, Leon, Tone, Plax, especially Sanchez... the whole fucking gang. Schottenheimer (and not to derail, here) does a poor job of utilizing a player's individual strengths. The Smith Wildcat was a very good creation, but I really can't say that anyone else has been used to their potential.

That's my concern with Kerley. I'd like to know what Kerley has to offer, but it seems like he's being shoehorned into roles that don't fit his skill set. I don't want to see this guy run the wildcat just because we need somebody to fill Brad Smith's shoes- I want to see Kerley be Kerley, if that makes any sense.

17. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

This describes Schotty perfectly I think.

Rather than taking what he has and working with it, he designs these intricate plays and assigns the roles. He should look at the roster and think:

- Plax: Let's use him up the sidelines, on deep routes, and fades in the end zone
    - Holmes: crossing routes, slants, scheme for YAC, screens
    - Keller: work over the middle, flats, up the seam
    - Kerley: typical slot guy underneath and over the middle

Instead what happens is the play is drawn up and he has some stupid design with 4 curl routes or a play action bootleg fade route to Holmes. Down and distance has no meaning, just whatever wizardry he is willing to dial up at the moment.

18. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Kerley is neither quick nor fast although he can be elusive AFTER he has built up a head of steam. From what I seen of him thus far, he goes down very easily on contact and lacks the sharp cutting and stop/start burst of acceleration that is critical for smaller receivers (particularly those that aren't especially fast) to generate consistently good YAC numbers.

The closest player we've ever had to Welker was Chrebet who, like Welker, had a natural gift for quickly finding the soft spots in zone coverage or beating man coverage with his quickness and tight route running ability. And while I think it is otherwise pointless to compare the two, I think it is a pretty safe bet to assume Wayne's career numbers as well as the length of his career would be considerably better than they were if he had Brady or a comparably talented QB throwing him the ball.

I sincerely hope Kerely becomes the player everyone was raving about in camp but so far, I haven't seen it.

19. Altoona

Altoona Well-Known Member

Very well said. That is blowing a truck-sized hole through the bullseye as far as I'm concerned.

20. jgangstahippie7:18

Wes Welker is scrappy
    but
    Kerly is a class act.