Calvin Pryor Player Assessment So Far

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Altoona, Oct 17, 2014.

1. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

Man didn't realize stokes was that new to tgg.

Is eric Smith still an assistant with us?

2. TNJet

TNJet Well-Known Member

Cooks, Benjamin, Matthews

3. cantwait57

cantwait57 Member

I think Pryor will be fine, but I remember screaming at the screen to pick Bridgewater.

4. JStokes

JStokes Well-Known Member

I got it, I was feigning surprise :D

_

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If we end up with Cooper or White at 6, then taking Pryor last year will have been a great decision. He's going to be playing his natur position surrounded by tons of talent. I have a feeling he's going to thrive.

And there's no way in hell on the day of the draft ANYONE was saying take Benjamin or Matthews. If you were, you aren't a good armchair GM.

IIMeanDeanII likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Rockinz wanted Benjamin. I have to give him credit for that.

7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

We don't see many white SS in the league but I think Pryor can be a good one.

8. BroadwayAaron

I think this place would have imploded if we took Benjamin over Cooks. Not to mention, both guys would have been tits on a bull last year. And here we are a year later with Brandon Marshall for a 5th round pick. We got a better WR for cheaper and still have the ability to draft the best WR in this year's draft.

9. NCJetsfan

It probably would have, and I would have been screaming the loudest. I thought Benjamin was gonna bust. Yes, we got a better WR but for only a year or two. Cooks could have helped us for 5-10 years and given us the deep speed we needed. Even more importantly, Bridgewater would have given us the QB we desperately need.

10. BroadwayAaron

Bridgewater is far from a lock to be a solid pro and again, on draft day, there would have been riots had we taken Teddy when he was projected as a second rounder

11. JStokes

Every draft projection out there had Teddy as a first rounder and this board would have rioted in joy had we taken him.

He is going to be an exceptional pro and we'd be set up for a decade plus had we taken him.

_

TNJet and NYJalltheway like this.
  12. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I hope so but I'm not holding my breath. We saw what Pryor looked like at FS and it wasn't good. So let's see what he can do at SS. Less coverage and a much more limited area to patrol. Even as he wqas playing out of position last year I still didn't see the instinct nor the solid tackling from him and that is what bothered me the most.

13. JStokes

I got it. My response was a mocking one :D

_

14. BroadwayAaron

So you would consider the Vikings set at QB for the next decade plus? I feel like you'd have a hard time finding too many analaysts, writers, experts, whoever agreeing with you.

15. NCJetsfan

I disagree. I think that Bridgewater has already shown that he is going to be a quality starting QB in the NFL. IMO Anyone who would have rioted had the Jets taken Bridgewater last year would have shown their ignorance. Geno was far from a sure thing (and in fact, many posters here had already given up on him as "sucking" or never wanted him in the first place) and Bridgewater was a great QB prospect. One can never have enough QBs due to injuries and they are valuable commodities. Idzik had spoken about competition, and many posters here had said that Geno needed competition. Until you know you have a quality starting QB, I believe you continue to take another QB quality prospect when you have the opportunity to do so until you've found one. IMO Bridgewater was one of the best players in the draft last year and should never have dropped. I think a lot of teams and GMs are going to wind up looking like morons for not having taken him.

westiedog1 likes this.
  16. JStokes

Lol you don't get out much do you.

Every article and interview and report since the season has ended has been touting how good Teddy is going to be for them and they are set at QB.

Saw a draft do-over the other day and they had Teddy going number 1 to Houston over Clowney.

Teddy is going to be a stud and we should have absolutely drafted him.

_

NCJetsfan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

If so, that just shows their ignorance. IMO anyone who saw Bridgewater play any at all, and couldn't see his talent and potential, has no business being a football writer, analyst or "expert."

18. JStokes

MoPro isn't the best at player evaluations.

Idzik fucked up big time by passing on him for ANY player in that draft but certainly over a safety.

_

19. NCJetsfan

This is the only major concern that I have about Mac at this point. I really want to know if he was in favor of taking Teddy last year or passing on him. If it was the latter, then I'm going to start having some doubts about his abilities as a talent evaluator/scout.

20. JStokes

I think Clowney had so much hype that they couldn't have taken anyone other than him.

It's crazy considering how much they need a QB. The fact that they passed on Carr at the top of round 2 for a G is nuts.

_