Burress

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #28Martin, Jul 30, 2011.

1. cromartiecove31

cromartiecove31 New Member

I freaking love Plax, I could see him catching 10 TD passes this year, he really is a "ten finger vacuum cleaner" haha

2. AFCBEAST

AFCBEAST New Member

He can def jump up and grab the ball like no other, if he can perform at a high level, it was a good signing

It's gonna take some time to see what the Jets offense can really do, healthy, 1st stringers vs 1st stringers etc. They could be pretty good, they also are one or two injuries at key positions away from being meh.

Depth is a concern with this team IMO, not starting talent on the roster.

3. srqman1

srqman1 Tired of BS

It pretty much comes down to this: If Sanchez doesn't suck the Jets O is gonna be scary.

I'm so pumped after what Plax did last night. Holmes/Plax/Mason is gonna be real tough to cover.

4. MoWilkShakes

MoWilkShakes Active Member

i know this is hypocritical coming from a guy who has burress as his avatar...but guys....it was 1 game, against the Bungles. Most of you are giving plaxico way to much credit than he deserves for now, and are bashing braylon far to much. Edwards was a very talented receiver for us the last 2 years. I'm pumped just as much as the next guy to see plaxico pull a vick-like redemption season, but lets not over hype this.

5. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

that was uncalled for, senator.

Lets not forget Edwards dragging two Pro bowlers into the end zone last season.

6. nyjcanada

nyjcanada Active Member

Really? I'm as excited as the next guy for a REAL RedZone threat, which should finally help us in that area. But the skepticism was definetly warranted.

7. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

nah, I disagree. Burress's body of work speaks for itself. He may be a lazy ass during the weekly practices, but he also has a history of showing up on game days.

8. Phear

Phear New Member

I moved on past Edwards after we signed plax. But can we stop with the BS about Edwards dropping passes. He had less drops then all of our receivers last year. I'm excited about plax just like everyone else. However, lets not act like Edwards was hot garbage when he was with us.

9. ihatethedolphins3

ihatethedolphins3 New Member

yes, 5 miles each way

10. inSANITy

inSANITy Banned

11. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

That year Edwards could never catch the easy TD.

12. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Dumping on players who contributed after they leave, ESPECIALLY when they appear to have wanted to stay on the team, is classless, imho. I don't get it. Is the need to defend the FO that great and hair trigger?

13. jets_fan_in_fishtown

jets_fan_in_fishtown Active Member

agreed with the first part

however, if he had set his ego aside, he could have stayed. i'm pretty sure we would have given him 4 or 5 mil a year for a couple of years at least

14. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

I don't doubt that from time to time individual players do not do right by themselves in negotiations. But we don't know all that goes on, even here where we keep track and do hear bits and pieces more than the average person.

I for one do not assume the FO always is doing the right thing. Even if I felt they were most of the time, that is not all the time.

That being the case, and not saying Edwards was right by any means, I think it's pointless to assume he was all at fault, and even more to the point, the situation is largely behind us. That being said i concede I would probably be more focused on what happened with Edwards if i were less optimistic about Plax, but since I am, good luck to Braylon in SF where he's not even in the Jets' conference, and I doubt I will want to waste much more time talking about him.

15. blackssmagic

blackssmagic Well-Known Member

The other aspect of this is if Cumberland can step up, with his size and Plax that is going to be great this year in the endzone.

16. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Hey now heeeey now, don't dreeeeaam it's oooover...

I was just posting the sporadic and entertaining gif, really. I haven't been hammering Edwards since he left, although he's a total moron for the stuff that goes on with him and his bar buddies.

Edwards far surpassed my expectations while he was here. He may not have been the prototype receiver and he may have been a Rhodes-esque pretty boy with a flair for showboating, but for the most part I was pretty happy to have him on the team.

But can you blame me for being opportunistic with such a priceless gif? That thing is hilarious.

17. MBGreen

MBGreen Banned

^ I felt my age as soon as I recognized the Crowded House lyrical reference.

/sad panda

18. Calikid

Calikid New Member

I think you hit the nail on the head. Different teams have different philosophies on building a team. The Jets seen to put more emphasis on starter talent as opposed to having more depth. We'll see how it works out. I think the Burress signing fits this mold. They want as much talent at the WR position as possible.

19. soxxx

soxxx Trolls

Im not sure if our offense will be say top 5, but if we can score TD's early it will make it ALOT easier for our defense to play. Look how good Brady made the Patriots defense appear because the Patriots were scoring early making it easier for the defense.

20. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

Sure there is the "lack of pass rush" , or the aging veterans, or whatever else you want to say is "missing" from this team...

But to me the key really lies in the offense. If Sanchez can stay healthy and on top of his game, and our offense can execute a solid game plan, then we will be just fine, regardless of whatever else is missing. IF we can sustain long drives wearing down the opposing D whilst resting our own that will be key. Yes our defense does have a few holes that leave more questions then answers, however our offense hasa the potential to be high flying and dynamic. If that truly takes shape then long sustained drives with improved red zone percentage will outweigh any/most of the holes on our defense.

In more then a few games last year (I would have to go back and look at specifically which ones), you could see that as soon as our offense got shut down numerous times or even back to back drives, the D started to look gassed out a bit. Yes, our defense will most likely again be top five, however any defense that is on the field for too long will start to break down and give the opponent time to get back in the game. The less our defense has to be on the field the better it can play.