Build around Sam

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Murrell2878, Feb 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

4th round pick. Odds on us hearing anything about him at all until Darnold is gone are low.

He likely would have been overmatched on the field last season as a rookie. If has a really strong camp this year he might angle into the conversation if Darnold appears headed out of town. If the Jets aren't liking what they see out of Darnold in the new WCO they might well decide that Morgan was worth a look-see next year. They've got him under control for at least 3 seasons through 2024.

Borat likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I never said to keep Sam just in case hi flicks the switch. But, if JD fails at landing Deshawn Watson AND none of the QBs in this year's draft are legit FQBs, then JD may be FORCED to stick with Sam, or bring in some other hack, like Blethard. That's when I suggested keeping Sam (for 2021) MAY be the better option than Blethard/Jameis/Mariota/Fitzpatrick/etc, since Sam might just surprise us in his 4th year with a much better oline and much better WRs.

3. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Trade Darnold for a #2/higher or keep him. That's all JD is thinking right now.

4. Footballgod214

I think JD would love for Zack Wilson or Fields to grade out with a high probability of staying healthy and becoming a FQB. JD would love to reset the rookie pay scale and start the franchise off with HIS qb. But...Zack/Fields have to grade really high for this to happen. Otherwise, it's Watson of Sam for 2021.

5. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

Watson is #1 priority. JD just needs to kahunas to pull the trigger. Not sure based on the way he wants to build the team. Tanny/Rex would have done it already. We'll see. Patience is virtue.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. Footballgod214

I'm curious about Morgan too.

It might have been a wasted pick, but it was definitely a wasted season with Gase in charge and with no TC or preseason games to see him play. HOPEFULLY 2021 will be a lot better. Who ran the scout team? Flacco or Morgan?

7. Footballgod214

A cpl things working against Watson.

First, perhaps Zack Wilson has great chance of being our FQB (say 75-85% chance, just a guess), he'd be a HELL of a lot cheaper than Watson.

2) There's zero glory in trading for a star QB that takes the team to a SB. It's definitely nice and all, but JD would get zero props/glory for this route. "Watson fell into his hands, ANY GM coulda done that". The real GM Glory comes from making the perfect draft picks that sends the team into the clouds. I get that JD would still take Watson, but he may not pursue it with the same vigor you or I might.

3) Texans might simply demand too much for Watson. Even on here fans say four 1sts and Q is way too much. JD might just agree with us on that one.

Watson is such a long shot I'm sure JD is spending 24 hours a day analyzing the draft, including all 5 QBs, including Trevor. JD might prefer to trade a ton for Trevor than Watson.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

He may think Sam is a bust (though I doubt it), but if he doesn't really think any of these QBs are pretty a pretty sure bet, he could look to sign or trade for a vet QB to cover things until he finds one he does like. Not my preference, but it might be something he does.

9. Bellys Lies

Bellys Lies Well-Known Member

Sam is soft, he was a turnover machine in college and has continued as a pro. Can not read a defense after his first 2 options. Is not very actuate. The 34 th rated qb in a 32 team league. You have to draft either Wilson or Fields at 2

10. Borat

Borat Well-Known Member

I just don't see how JD would not like ANY of the available QBs in this class. Between Wilson/Fields/Lance/Jones, there has to be someone he will like. I mean all 4 of these guys delivered in a major way and bring TONS of talent. Make you pick of any one of them, but don't tell me you don't like any of them and they are 0 for 4. Now THAT would be an absolute failure.

When a guy like Kiper says Wilson, whom he rates as #2 QB and mocks #2 overall, is a sideways move from Sam AT BEST, I just have to laugh. I mean with all due respect to Sam, but is Atlanta offering us #4 pick and extra for Sam since he is apparently worth as much or more than a qb #2 pick. Is Carolina offering #8 and bunch more assets? Everyone who has any brain at all understands that #2 QB pick in this draft is worth significantly more than Sam at this stage. There is a QB to be had in this draft, whether we give Sam another shot or not. That's not mutually exclusive, but out of the 4 top QBs aside from Trevor, there is someone JD must like and select in the upcoming draft.

NCJetsfan and bicketybam like this.
  11. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Keeping Darnold and drafting a QB (maybe a few slots down from #2) makes perfect sense to me because as much as many guys here are counting all the franchise or generational quarterbacks available experience has shown us time and time again that these guys are prone to failure; there are no guarantees with a draftee. Who knows whether Darnold or a pick will prove to be the guy who can hold the job. Now, if Watson can be corraled it's already proven that he can play the NFL game at the highest level and keeping Darnold around at anything other than a mediocre backup salary is a waste of money.

12. Ralebird

Your #2 here is just a little bit crazy, don't you think? The job of being General Manager is not about personal glory, it's about building a team that wins the Super Bowl - that would bring plenty of glory to go around. I've seen plenty of similar posts over the years here that talk about "his guy" or "somebody else's guy" as if there are GMs out there who are looking out for their ego before the job they've been hired to do and I don't buy into it one bit. Douglas is a professional doing a professional's job and there's no place in that for "looking out for number one." It makes me wonder what kind of business experience the people making these claims have.

NOVAJET likes this.
  13. Footballgod214

When Andy Reid traded up to draft Patrick Mahomes, Andy was hailed a genius to this very day. If Mahomes was already a FQB and Andy just traded for him, his acolades would be no where near what he gets today. Belicheck discovering Tommy in the 6th round has gotten Belicheck a lot more milage than, so the Bucs get for just signing Brady as a FA.

GMs want a great reputation for drafting talent. It's the name of the game. JD would be a lot more respect as a brilliant GM if he identified and drafted a FQB then for just picking one off another team.

14. Ralebird

Yeah, we're not going to agree on this. Can you give any insight into why you think some of the best managers in the business are looking out for themselves before performing their jobs? Until proven otherwise I'll continue to believe that the best way for a GM, or a coach for that matter, to get the reputation they want is to build a winning team, everything else is secondary by a mile. And I believe much more that Reid and Mahomes simply ended up in the right place at the right time rather than that being a foregone conclusion due to some stroke of genius. Same for Belichick and Brady. Guys win and guys lose, it's the nature of the beast and luck is certainly a factor.

15. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I don't know about Reid and Mahomes, but there isn't the slightest doubt that Belichick ending up with the Brady he got was 100% dumb luck. If Belichick had even the slightest notion that Brady was going to be even a middle-of-the-pack starter in the NFL, he never would have let every team in the league have 5 shots at him before he drafted him. Once Brady got to his first training camp, who knows - maybe he dazzled Belichick from day one - but the best thing Belichick can say about drafting Brady is that he thought he was the best guy around once about 150 other players had already been picked.

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

So really you are saying keep Sam just in case he flicks the switch :rolleyes::D

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

@Brook! Dust off the banhammer, you're gonna need a big swing. :eek:

#437 K'OB, Feb 28, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2021
  18. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Belichik drafted Brady to relay stolen defensive signals. This is also why he drafted Cassell.

He was just looking for a personable intelligent guy he could put on the sideline with a clipboard, an earpiece and a ballcap on who could get the signals relayed quickly when the spotter in the booth who was watching the defensive play callers made his call.

Tom Brady the QB was an accident but he was on his way to being a great cheater before Bledsoe got knocked off the field.

19. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

If they traded down to re-coup some picks and then took a QB and kept Sam I would be kinda OK with it.

I just don’t like it overall unless no team is offering much of anything for Sam

If you keep Sam and draft a QB high you’re taking away valuable assets (high picks) that can go to other areas of the team. This is assuming Sam can return us a solid draft pick

20. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

You talk GM but name coaches in your example... are you suggesting Arians isn’t getting any glory for signing Brady last offseason?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.