Brock Bowers - Olu Fashanu Discussion

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BrowningNagle, Sep 15, 2024.

1. bleedgreen

bleedgreen Well-Known Member

Yup. agree.

2. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

IDK if he is/was unmotivated but he hasn't looked like his old self this season in terms of quickness at least in my eyes. I honestly don't know if it'd be worth it based upon my observations of his play this year although I admit my observations are incomplete.

We're carrying a lot of guaranteed money at WR right now--maybe you are thinking of moving either Lazard or Williams in a swap?

3. Ill Will

Ill Will Active Member

I looked at some reviews of the game the last couple of days and looked at Conklin's game specifically.

There's a reason Conklin had a great game. He's a good fucking TE. He's up to speed with Rodgers, has good hands, can block, knows how to get open and where to be for Rodgers, and is very mature and level headed.
    Views from different angles really picks it all up.
    They have at least one good TE, rn.
    Ruckert had a good game too btw.

Go Olu. Dude's gonna be around a long time is my bet

azhar80 and Borat like this.
  4. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Arod didn't have any problems finding open receivers against a pretty good Patriot defense. I'm not sure they need another WR right now. They need edge rushers.

LAJet likes this.
  5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I’m with you. He does not look inspired at all and his play shows it, although last week he got 100 yards. I was thinking a swap and throwing in our malcontent hold out, but the financials would be a mess for us.

6. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I have to say, with a resounding yell, NO! Do not be bringing DeVante Adams up in this joint. Damn straight I better never see any trade that involves Wilson either. If it's even a REMOTE topic, Reddick is the only name I want to hear floated with a trade. Still not sure I'd want DeVante. Something going on there and it can't ALL be the Raiders.

7. Sundayjack

Sundayjack pǝʇɔıppɐ ʎןןɐʇoʇ

One of the best reasons given for not drafting Bowers since this discussion started last March/April. Also one of the most aggravating.

abyzmul and IDFjet like this.
  8. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Thx man--I caught a lot of shit for this post--had me second guessing myself lol.

9. Sundayjack

I don't hate Conklin. You describe him exactly as I would - "not a bad TE".

Ralebird and AarontheJet like this.
  10. Sundayjack

It also highlighted another point. TE will be one of the NEXT holes we'll have to fill, with a shitty history addressing that position.

mezzavo and AarontheJet like this.
  11. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

That was kind of the point, we needed another receiver and he's basically just a big fast receiver. Most of the anti-Bowers stances could be summarized as "You never draft a TE that high!"

AtlantaJet likes this.
  12. REVISion

Bowers outplayed Conklin the first two weeks.

13. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

You could also make the point that drafting a slot receiver that high is also not a good value.

14. Jets79

Jets79 Well-Known Member

One more note:

The issue was drafting a “backup” OT vs a game breaking TE on draft day…some of us felt that it wasn’t *really* a “back up” OT since the injury risk was pretty high for our two older starting OTs, but still others preferred the game breaking TE

I would just say this - I feel MUCH better with Olu and Conklin playing than I would with Bowers and Mitchell/Warren playing this week.

To me, that’s not even a conversation worth having…OT all day was the right pick, and while I didn’t expect us to need Olu in week 4, I did expect us to need him sometime this year.

Ill Will, Borat, dmw and 1 other person like this.
  15. REVISion

Yeah I just don't agree with that though. Receiver is one of the most important positions in the game. If a guy is elite, I'm not going to lose sleep over where he does most of his damage. Bowers is also uniquely versatile - he caught passes behind LoS, in the middle of the field, and even took handoffs out of the backfield in college.

Kelce doesn't play on the outside and he's one of the best receiving threats in recent NFL history.

16. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

The Jets have a better record.

mezzavo likes this.
  17. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I'd like to see what Conklin's numbers look like after a couple more weeks of Rodgers being comfortable with him as the outlet before I just want to toss him on the scrap heap.

18. REVISion

The Jets have a better defense and QB.

Not even saying Conklin is bad, just that Bowers is probably an instant all pro or pro bowler.

Anyway, my only point responding to the "Conklin had a better game" post was that cherry picking stats from a single game is pointless.

19. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Why are we even comparing Bowers and Conklin as if they play the same position and have the same role. Not even close. If anything they are complementary. Bowers would not replace Conklin on the field. We absolutely cannot afford to have a pseudo TE that can’t block. Bowers might make Lazard role go away eventually. But if we can’t block on running plays it’s a non starter.

20. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

And it is Bowers first 3 games and he's catching passes from Minshew who almost can't even throw an out route. It's Conklin's 6th season and he's catching balls from Aaron Rodgers.

I like Conklin a lot, I think he's tough and he has some real skills and clutches up sometimes when they need him to, but I would like him a lot better as the second TE to Bowers right now and the guy that picks up the Hback and Fback reps like he's sharing with Ruckert right now. Ruckert needs more time if he's going to get there at all.

#200 abyzmul, Sep 24, 2024 at 8:12 PM
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2024 at 8:18 PM
    REVISion likes this.