Breaking News: Jets have fired OC John Morton

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by grkmanga31, Jan 17, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

It just shows how stupid Bowles is. The WCO is known primarily as a passing offense. WCOs often pass when most teams run the ball, in fact, they use it like other teams use their rushing attack. Since he hired Morton knowing that Morton would install the WCO, and Todd has had to game plan to stop the WCO, why would Todd be surprised that Morton would do that, unless he is just totally clueless?

2. NCJetsfan

If Bowles didn't know what the WCO is comprised of, he should be fired and never work in football again. If he did, still hired Morton and then expected Morton to run the ball a lot instead of passing, then he's a clueless dumbass, should be fired, and never work in football again.

3. NCJetsfan

Stating our opinions and commenting on the move is what this site exists for, and isn't "whining." Get over yourself. You chill out. Don't read the thread if it bothers you that much. You aren't a moderator or the site censor.

4. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You are a good guy, man I posted like 3 times complaining about this, but then I read your post, calmed down and realized maybe it won't be so bad. Gotta see what the move is.

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

This is what is perplexing to me, as a DC he knows what offenses to game plan for, so we can assume that based on the video that he's watching of opponents, he has an understanding of the different offenses and how they attack the defenses.

So far he has hired 2 OC that ran pass heavy schemes. As you interview these men and they explain their schemes, wouldn't a defensive minded HC be able to discern that they don't fit his idea for an offensive scheme?

However, if Morton had a better oline, then maybe the running game would compliment the short passing game.

I remember Roger Craig playing in a WCO for the niners, he got a lot of carries and was a dual threat RB.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Interesting. I wonder why Munchak turned down a 2nd interview.

Question: I thought that NFL teams could only turn down a request to interview one of their coaches if it was a lateral move. Did the Jets want to interview DeFilippo as QB Coach last year or as OC?

7. NCJetsfan

Hey, it's the Jets. Even if they didn't hire him, they're likely to make another move that just as stupid, or worse. Might as well avoid procrastinating and just go ahead and start drinking heavily now. In that way, you won't feel the pain so much when the inevitable happens and the Jets make their normal stupid hire. ;)

8. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Someone walk me through this. We were tied for 25th in the league in pass attempts, meaning there were 6 teams that threw less than us. We were 17th in rushing attempts and that was middle of the pack. How is that pass happy?? It’s not 1995. Can we stop this please?

9. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Kacy Rodgers would be lucky to have a Quality Control job in the NFL... Bowles is guilty of clear Cronyism and it's kind of despicable.

Why does a perennial 5-11 coach have so much power? These are the questions that need to be asked

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. cmcm750203

cmcm750203 Well-Known Member

Because our owner is a moron and somehow decided that a guy with no HC experience shouldn’t report to the GM.

11. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I hear ya. I don't believe that narrative of the reasoning from the beat writers. Chan Gailey threw the ball more than Morton anyway and Bowles had no issue.

It's BS. its just a personality clash. A coach with his shit together would do his homework and make a decent coordinator hire without having to find out what kind of coach schmatically/personality he is ON THE JOB.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Let’s not chop out details now

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  13. David-The-Meats-Harris

David-The-Meats-Harris Well-Known Member

I'm in the camp that says when you have the balls to come out to the podium and say you gave up during a game, you probably shouldn't be in sports.
    He did some good things, but I don't see him being the big one that got away anytime soon.

Bates is highly regarded in the organization, which is like being the smartest moron, and doesn't want the damn job. Or worse, he's being a spoiled bitch, and really does want it.

Either way, someone in the thread already said it: this is all very jetsy

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  14. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

They wanted to interview him as OC.
    There is a very big misconception regarding what is a lateral move. OC is obviously a position with more responsibility and higher pay than QB coach , but it's still considered a lateral move by the league.
    For anti tampering reasons, the league rules consist of 2 levels, HC and all other assistants. A team may only have 1 HC. So Even attaching an assistant or Co HC title to a candidates title would not be considered a higher level job and would still be lateral.

NCJetsfan and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

That should rule out Defilippo then....:rolleyes:

b.reyes16 likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

why do i feel like they changed that after teams tampered by giving titles like "assistant head coach" to coordinators to bypass the original rule

TonyFtLaud and JohnnyP123456 like this.
  17. TonyFtLaud

Because that's exactly why they changed the rules......;)

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

if your not cheating your not trying lol

remember when people used the transition tag on players so teams started putting in clauses where if they played 4 games in (insert old team here) city in a year hte whole contract becomes guaranteed , which essentially meant the old team couldn't match it or they'd really have to give up a lot more. Probably why we never see the transition tag used anymore really.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  19. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Bowles wanted to run the ball more? :mad: How in the hell are you supposed tor run the ball behind Wesley Johnson. What is Bilal Powell, Leonard Fournette?

20. TonyFtLaud

He wanted to run it more in short yardage situations , not just run it more overall. That seems to be getting left out for some reason.

Red Menace and Sam Hammer like this.