Brainlessly bash former Jet employee, Brian Schottenheimer

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by ThunderbirdJet, Sep 14, 2010.

1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I'm just curious, remember about a month ago when we were scoring all those points and it was reoported Tom Moore was at the facility every day? You guys were all giving him credit for the scoring- what happened the last 3 games? Tom wasn't helping anymore? He gets the credit when we do well but Brian gets the blame when things go wrong? I find that really funny.

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I remember someone mentioning that Moore wasn't going to be with the team for the final 3 games. Which would be fucking hilarious if it was true.

3. nyjunc

I'm pretty sure he was and he was definitely there Philly week and in the booth during the game.

4. Barcs

Barcs Banned

Last I checked, Schotty was still calling the plays, while Moore was merely advising. You can't blame Moore if Schotty ignored him and still made the same stupid play calls that screwed us last season as well as this one.

5. nyjunc

I don't blame Moore but it's funny he got all the credit for the 3 game stretch where we scored about 30 a week and yet no one was giving him any credit for the poor finish. The point is whenever we have success Brian doesn't get credit and when we fail he gets the blame.

6. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

The funny thing about Schittyheimer is that as much as I hate him as our OC, I really think that he is going to be a good HC, provided, of course, he doesn't try to do double duty as both HC and OC. One of the ESPN analyst, I think Mort, cited how Mike McCarthy served as the OC for the 49ers' 31st ranked offense prior to becoming the HC for Greenbay. Not saying he will be the next McCarthy but that is a very interesting fact.

McCarthy has also the benefited from consistently good drafts since 2006. Not sure if most of the praise for their success shouldn't go to Thompson.

7. amuck57

amuck57 Active Member

here's what the fuck i'm talking about asswipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ducasse 2 year
    divito 5
    dixon 2
    schlanderaff R
    slauson 3
    turner 4
    pretty fucking young to me . dick head

Take 3 days off to calm yourself..

#4547 amuck57, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2012
  8. avrus

avrus New Member

What happened was, the skeptical among us said scoring in the red zone is great but look at our average game yardage. People kept saying game yardage doesn't matter as long as we're scoring.

Low and behold it turns out if don't have the yardage to get you into the red zone, it doesn't matter.

We had the same average offensive yards per game as the Colts. The Colts. With those type of numbers it's amazing we went 8-8.

9. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

I'm confused. Devito and Dixon are DLinemen. Turner was on IR all season. Ducasse is essentially a 3rd TE who played an average of 10-15 snaps a game. Schlanderaff didn't play one snap.

Of the starters, only Slauson can be considered "young".

10. nyjunc

I don't care about yards, I care about points. We were in the top half of points scored w/ all the problems we had. keep in mind we couldn't run for the half the year, that will hurt yardage totals and the Ol was bad most of the year. There were valid reasons why the O struggled.

11. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The offense struggled because the offensive coordinator has no concept of developing a team persona on offense that fits the strengths of the players he is given.

This season the Jets needed to clearly establish a running game as they integrated a new RT and 3 new WR's into the offense. What they did instead was to go pass happy immediately with Sanchez throwing 147 passes in the first 4 games despite not having much time to work with his receivers in the off-season and despite the fact that the mainstay of the offensive line got hurt in that span.

Schotty was like a kid at Christmas with his new toys and predictably a few of them got scuffed up before the day was over.

After it became clear that the Jets weren't going to be able to dictate in the air Schotty dialed it back some and the Jets had their best stretch of the season, as did Mark Sanchex, and things got straightened out.

Then the Pats came into town for the second game and Schotty just lost it for some reason, having Sanchez throw 8 times in the first 12 plays in the first quarter. Worse than that all the runs are on 1st and 10 except for a 2nd and 1.

Ok, so drive 3 he's figured out that pass happy isn't working again and he starts out with 3 straight Greene runs for 18 yards and a 1st down. Then back to two passes in a row (sack, Offensive PI) and a wildcat run by Tomlinson.

Drive 4 is 5 passes in 7 plays, despite Greene going 2 for 12 on the carries he got. The Jets are now in their 4th drive and they haven't established any kind of rhythm because the thing that is working best for them, grinding it out on the ground, keeps giving way to a flurry of pass attempts that aren't getting the job done.

The game is currently 6-0 Pats but the offense is in a total funk and the main reason for that is that the Jets have passed the ball 15 times and run it only 9. Mark Sanchez has already passed the ball on 2nd and 6 or longer or 3rd and 6 or longer 8 times and we're only halfway through the second quarter.

Brian Schottenheimer really believed that day that Mark Sanchez could beat Tom Brady in a QB duel. That's the only explanation for the crappy play-calling. There's no way that Mark Sanchez in his 3rd season is ready to win a shootout against one of the best QB's of all time. Could it happen? Sure, but only a blind optimist would make that his game plan.

If the Jets button that game down and try to control things on the ground with a more balanced attack, like the one they used the first game, they stay in that game until the end and maybe they win and maybe they lose but at least they're in the game.

What does Schotty do? More pass heavy play-calling, of course, and the Jets get blown out.

Why did he call things the way he did *before* the blowout began? Because he had this mental picture of Brian Schottenheimer's briliant offense going out and vanquishing the Brady juggernaut. He couldn't see for the life of him that asking Mark Sanchez to try to go blow for blow with Tom Brady in a shootout was going to be a fail. He lacked vision.

That quality, of lacking vision, is what will define Brian Schottenheimer's tenure as the OC of the Jets. Some guys do everything they can to get every drop of production out of the guys they are given. They recognize strengths and weaknesses and they adapt. Other people can't make those adjustments and just keep running what they want to run even if it's not working.

#4551 Br4d, Jan 9, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  12. nyjunc

The problem w/ that is we tried to run especially earlier in the season and we COULDN'T so we HAD to throw. Should we have kept running when it wasn't working and we were failling behind by double digits? We didn't just throw for the sake of throwing.

8 throws in the first 12 plays vs. NE where we marched right down the field and would have scored a TD if holmes didn't slip. Instead we settle for a FG and our K misses a chip shot. That game turned when our D allowed NE to go 80 yds in a minute at the end of the half to take the lead.

The problem is if we run(like we tried earlier in the year and failed) and don't have success everyone complains- "why didn't we pass?". The bottom line is we failed as an offense, it doesn't matter waht the playcalls were. We should have had an edge w/ our pass O vs. their pass D but our players didn't execute.

13. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Brian Schottenheimer is the greatest Offensive Coordinator in the league, and quite possibly in the history of the NFL. If it weren't for Mark Sanchez, Brett Farve, and Chad Pennington, and the whole team except him, the Jets would have 5 Super Bowls and unlimited admission passes to Disneyland by now. He got a well deserved 2-year extension and deserves an additional 75 year extension and his name on the Stadium. He's Tim Tebow's inspiration and the reason the Broncos are going to win the Super Bowl. The turnpike should be named after him too, that's how good he is

14. nyjunc

we just don't have a fanbase that deserves to win

15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

He is the greatest innovator in NFL offense, didn't you know?

I mean that. No other team does what this team does in terms of offensive play design, like clustering all the threats in one spot or two big play receivers streaking the sideline side by side, or all 5 receivers running 4-yard button hook on 3rd and 6 or... the best of all, receivers running into each other.

Had it not been for the inaccurate Sanchez, INT-prone Favre or noodle-arm Pennington, Jets would have won SB 6 times in the past 6 years thanks to the genius.

16. abyzmul

And by 'win', you mean 'almost make it to Super Bowls a few times every decade but never actually appear in the game, much less win it'.

17. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Or, in other words, FAIL.

p.s. Abyzmul// I think the philosopher you have in the signature is spelled Nietzsche.

18. nyjunc

I mean win it all, people are acting like this is the '95 & '96 Jets. It's embarrassing, whether we won it all or not we had much more fun the last 2 postseasons than we are having now but our spoiled(for some odd reason) fans act like that was 30 years ago.

19. abyzmul

:beer: I always spend too much time worrying about his consonants.

20. abyzmul

You call it 'spoiled'. I call it 'frustrated'. People are tired of seeing the team fall into the same patterns they've seen over and over all of these years. Yes, Rex has done what no other head coach has done. He also failed to deliver a Super Bowl berth, like every HC since Weeb Ewbank.

'Winning' is relative to the speaker's definition of success. I like the Jets competing, but as much as I like to spar with guys like PatsfanTX about the semantics of success, the fact is that the Jets haven't won shit in 40+ years. Have other teams failed as well? Yes, that's correct. And I don't give a shit. I want a Lombardi.