Bowles certainly gone after the season - La Canfora

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Beki, Dec 2, 2018.

1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

With no disrespect to anyone, all this shoulda, coulda woulda is not doing us any good. No question Mahomes to the Jets would have been ideal. Particularly in light of his potential, protecting our precious draft picks, and using them to put muscle around Mahomes.
    But in fairness under Bowles we would not have excelled nearly as much as we would have hoped. Turkey should have been long gone.
    The real issue for me is where do we go from here and who the hell is going to turn this piece of shit team around.
    Sam is good enough but we need some no kidding talent at the top.

MoWilkBeast and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  2. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

A young, offensive mind who can grow as a duo with Darnold is what we need.

PJ4Ever and LAJet like this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I see, you are one of those fellows that only get on with folk when they agree with you. Again no need for the abusive remark, I make that 4 now.
    I would love to know what my agenda was, other than saying machines won't matter if darnald becomes the man we want him too.
    This is worthy of being called dense etc lol
    Maybe you should look closer to home or quote me the part were I slate mahomes.
    Or maybe you need to let the three picks go, we aren't getting them back now.

4. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Time for the Johnsons to cut ties with Bowles. It's Bowles' job to bring that discipline to the franchise.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  5. Frenbar

Frenbar Well-Known Member

That's one of the big positives to take away from this game. It guarantees that toilet Bowles has to go. Plus we maintain our draft position. With the Giants win today we are tied with the Cardinals at 3 wins, with only Oakland and the 49rs at 2 wins. We've virtually locked up a top 5 pick, plus we have huge cap money to spend. The future is bright if, for the first time in ages, the ownership can pull its head out of its ass and find a good coach.

6. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

This is actually brilliant because if you listen carefully ,he is really calling out stupid penalties like unsportsmanlike conduct etc and the coaching staff for not correcting this stuff.

7. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

Your assertion that coaches come to the Jets to kill their careers is very misleading. It's not that careers come here to die - it's that the organization makes terrible coaching choices. Most of the head coaches they've employed have been first time head coaches. Zero, with the exception of Parcells who is an all time great and had success both before and after, NONE have gone on to do anything. Pete Carroll is the only other possible exception, but he was 20 years later.

The organization is just awful from top to bottom.

PJ4Ever, ColoradoContrails and LAJet like this.
  8. The_Darksider

This whole "passing on Mahomes and Watson" thing is ridiculous. They both have a shit ton of talent around them. The Jets have almost none. Their RBs are ok at best, the receiving corps is well below average, and the offensive line is shit. So neither would have done well here. The jury is still out on Darnold, so let's take it easy with this revisionist history view of things. Neither guy would even remotely resemble the guys they are today.

AlexJETS likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No it isn't. If you can't see the difference between taking Mahomes in 2017 and then not having to trade up in 2018 and the Jets being able to keep their 2-2nd round picks this year and 2nd round pick next year, and taking Adams and then having to trade up to get Darnold, then I can't help you. Even if Mahomes had struggled here, the Jets would have still had those 3-2nd round picks. THAT is the difference.

There is nothing "revisionist" about it.

ColoradoContrails and jets_fan like this.
  10. The_Darksider

There is no defense for Todd Bowles' coaching. Forget the wins and losses themselves. Judge him ONLY on his performance as a coach: game management, discipline, preparation, in-game adjustments, situational awareness, and his ability to improve himself and show that he learns from mistakes.

If you go through, as has been done on this site hundreds (if not thousands) of times, you find that the wins and losses aren't the issue and therefore the lousy QBs don't matter. He doesn't learn, he doesn't improve, his team is undisciplined and generally has a very low football IQ, he is conservative to a fault, and he never seems to make adjustments to put players in position to stop the other team nor beat its defense. Again, this has all been covered so many time that I'm not going to break it down here.

So if he was just losing games, I would be ok with it. It's well beyond that.

11. The_Darksider

I disagree. It is revisionist because they didn't draft him, and now he's doing well so you're saying that they should have reached for him at 6. There are also 9 I don't see anything from you
    I don't know you so I have no idea whether or not you were on these boards pining to draft Mahomes back then. You have a very good point about the 3 draft picks, so if you WERE screaming from the rooftops that we should take him in 2017, then I concede to your point. If not, then I fully stand by my remark about revisionist history like so many like to do about just about every draft pick ever made - as if the draft were a sure thing.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

There's nothing revisionist about it. I joined this board in 2013 and was definitely here touting Mahomes. I'm not saying that because he's doing well now. I wanted Mahomes in last year's draft, but knew that Mac would never draft him because he had drafted Hack in the 2nd round the year before and they still hadn't given Petty a shot. There were more than 3 of us who wanted Mahomes, but the 3 I can definitely remember are ColoradoContrails, legler, and me. When your team has needed a FQB for years, if not decades, and there are two highly-rated QBs sitting right there at your pick, you're dumb if you don't take one of them. Mac spit the bit. I didn't want Watson because of his lack of arm strength, although I loved him at Clemson and thought he could be a very good QB in a domed stadium or a warm-weather state. With the winds in the NE in the fall/winter, I knew Watson's arm wouldn't be good enough. Mahomes clearly had amazing arm strength and could throw the ball very accurately from any arm angle. He also was a playmaker ala Favre. I thought he was the best QB prospect since at least Andrew Luck, and I liked Mahomes better.

What is the bold supposed to mean? 9 what?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

NC, I, and a few others - chiefly Legler who was first to call attention to Mahomes here on TGG - were screaming for Mahomes BEFORE the draft. The performances of Mahomes and Watson - where they are, or if they were on this Jets team - doesn't make any difference to the point that:

A. Either would've certainly done at least as well as Darnold.
    B. Taking either in 2017 would have avoided having to trade three valuable picks to move up, PLUS they could've used this year's #6 pick on a pass rusher, OL, or traded down for even more picks.

These are the salient points, and are NOT revisionist history, they're facts.

Having made that mistake (on top of all the others he made - Hack; no OL picks; no high skill position picks; taking two Safeties with his first two picks; having almost none of his lower round picks still in football let alone on the roster...), I'm glad that he had the balls to trade up and the luck to have Darnold fall to him. I do believe Sam will be the best QB the Jets have had since Namath, IF he stays healthy AND he gets decent coaching. None of the points I've made about Macc screwing up by passing on Mahomes and Watson, means I don't like Darnold, and I accept that this is the reality...I believe NC is trying to make the same point.

boozer32 and NCJetsfan like this.
  14. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Two? Why not give him five? After all, he's assembled a topnotch staff of coordinators and assistants; he's made progress each and every year in his game planning and management skills and has the team playing with their bodies, minds and souls each and every week as the brightest, most cohesive team in the NFL. The man is a true inspiration to politicians everywhere.

boozer32 likes this.
  15. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Just read Bowles is fuming. Fuming I said after the 11 penalties against Tennessee. This is like game 60 of his tenure and he's finally upset at this team that he coaches. The penalties have been there from the beginning. The bad play in all 3 phases of football has been there from the beginning. If the Packers can fire Mike McCarthy in season and with a much better resume than Bowles plus a SB ring then, Bowles should be fired this morning.

16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Imagine taking a dump for 4 straight years. You’d be the king of your own personal mountain of shit.

Hopefully we bring in a really talented plumber to unclog the pipes.

ColoradoContrails and boozer32 like this.
  17. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

some of u girls are funny.....teams just cant make a change to make a change. Yes. bowles W-L record validates a firing and he probably should have been fired last season. BUT good young coaches don't grow on trees - especially ones that fit in NY. the jets tried with mangini and ryan, who had their moments - especially ryan.

Look i have no idea who is out there BUT if the jets want to protect their precious QB they really should bring in someone with head coaching experience - and preferably on the offensive side of the ball.

if your the owner what the hell would u do??........u folks don't like mccarthy because "how can u not win with rodgers". Well we might have to call him anyway because of his experience - not only with rodgers but with favre.

here is my early list in no pecking order - harbaugh (jim, then john), mangini, and mccarthy.

18. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

Was just listening to Boomer & Gio on WFAN, and Boomer seemed to be hinting that the Jets may go ahead and fire Bowles today. I'll believe it when I see it

19. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

not sure i would do that cause it will look like a panic move cementing that probable fact that the johnsons are way behind reality with this team - so who takes over?? especially after giving these guys a ringing endorsement before the season.

20. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Who takes over is the only question that needs to be answered. Once that’s decided upon, make the move.

There’s no coach on the Jets that’s earned an opportunity like that but it’s also clear that the team isn’t exactly holding the line for coach Bowles at this point.

As far as panic goes, that button should have been pushed last season. What makes you look worse, waiting too long to make the move or not making the move when you’re certain it needs to be made?

I don’t expect Sam to regress if Bowles is gone, FWIW. They can’t fire the whole staff, so the people who’ve been working with him aren’t going anywhere.

ColoradoContrails and grkmanga31 like this.