Boomer Esiason suggesting Cowher as the Jets next HC.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GREG, Dec 7, 2020.

1. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Sad but true. Even before the Belichick/Brady years, Cowher had a lot of trouble with the Patriots for some reason.

2. ILoveTheJets

ILoveTheJets Active Member

I do not want a coach that could not defeat the Patriots

3. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

If he’s interested then you gotta do it

He’s definitely up to date on everything and seems sharp when I see him on TV here and there. He would hopefully hire some up and coming coordinators and run the show with respect.

Every team had trouble with the Pats in that era when they were cheating 10 different ways so I wouldn’t really knock that against him

4. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I do think he would provide awesome leadership for the Jets and I could see him and JD working well together, but I do worry about him being out of football for so long.

5. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

We want the next best coach not yesterdays fucking man.

Footballgod214 likes this.
  6. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Only if the dual idiots allow the NYJs to be operated the way the Steelers are :mad:

7. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the $20 million per year contract Boomer said it would take to get Cower here. I cant see Woody spending that king of money on a HC given his history.

8. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

I respectfully disagree, doesn't need to be one or the other. We want a title tight?

For every Sean McVey or McDermott there are 3 to 4 Jay Grudens/Pat Schumers/Adam Gases/Todd Bowles. Once Promising hot shot coordinators that end up being in over their heads. Yes they're the sexy storyline, yet rarely result in sustained success.

Ron Rivera and Bruce Arians are good examples of how an experienced coach can help turn around a franchise and lead them to the super bowl.

I think Cowher could be our Dick Vermeil too!

9. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Reading through some of all the comments here and thinking about it - Cowher would be a good hire. He's a good football guy and equally as important a good guy.

I find it hard to believe he'd try to come here and and run two tightends, a fullback and run power right or power left every time. He's not naive to how the game has changed. He gives the franchise instant credibility and accountability too.

10. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

Haha that's the funny part and shows how out of touch our owners are. They're already paying about half that right now! LOL
    Aren't the Johnson Brothers still paying Todd Bowles & Adam Gase?!

And wont they still be paying Adam Gase through 2023 (signed a 4 year deal worth 20M in 2019) once they fire him this offseason.

I bet they stick with Gase another year with that math. OWNERSHIP IS THE PROBLEM!!!

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  11. K'OB

Okay, I will put it this way, imagine you take a 15 year holiday from your current job and then get asked to restart it out of the blue, can you imagine what the system will have morphed into inside that 15-year gap, never mind your own personal desire and health etc?

We have just had an RB who couldn't handle being off for 18 months, I don't want a coach that hasn't coached for 15 years no matter how good he was in the past and I agree he was very good.

I am very disturbed that you refer to Gase and Bowles as sexy though ;)

12. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Cowher has been involved with the sport the entire time he has been off the sidelines. He knows how the sport has changed as it is now his job to know about the changes and discuss them.

I don’t know what kind of job you do but I can certainly take a 15 year break and pick my job up if I was following along with all the technical advances during those 15 years.

Cowher lives and breathes football, he has his entire life. We’d be damn lucky if he returned to take the Jets HC job.

13. K'OB

Sat talking is a lot different than doing but fair play if you could sit and chat for 15 years and then at the age of 63 get right back into the action as easy as that.

It is a worry, that is all I am intimating towards.

If we'd be damned lucky he returned then it isn't likely to happen, if his finger is on the pulse he won't want anything to do with the pair of cunts that own us and who could blame him.

14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Well I don’t think it will happen so.. I get it it’s a worry that he hasn’t done it in so long but it’s also a worry to hire an unknown coordinator who has never done it. I know I’d rather take the chance on someone that has done and done it so well that he made the hall of fame doing it than someone who has never done it.

As for the two cunts that own us. Everyone that works for them or has worked for them has nothing but positive things to say about them so I doubt that would be what holds this back.

K'OB likes this.
  15. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

At the end of the day I just want the Jets to make the right hire. I don't care if its a big name or not. Look at McDermott and the Bills, Flores and the Dolphins, and Judge and the Giants. None of them were big names when they were hired but all of them have done a good job in getting their teams turned around. If Cowher can be that guy then great but I don't want the Jets to hire him just because he would be a big name hire.

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan, K'OB and 1 other person like this.
  16. K'OB

Really, is that actually true?

I thought one was an interfering owner and the other his clueless brother.

The mind boggles that they get it so wrong every season.

17. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

This is a very valid point. I'd still rather have Cowher than another coordinator exactly two missteps away from getting rolled by media here.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If we're seriously considering Cowher, we'd better hope Douglas is on board with Cowher and knows what he's doing. Because the interview will be essential to determine whether Cowher is Andy Reid or Jeff Fisher (i.e. can he adapt to the modern NFL?), and the Johnsons are incapable of doing that.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

If you take a fifteen year hiatus from selling or marketing, the world doesn't drastically change. I mean we're talking about the sport he's paid to analyze and talk about every week. It's changed but it doesn't mean he wouldn't be able to establish culture and create good messaging to the players.

There aren't a ton of comparisons for this situation unfortunately. Dick Vermeil, Joe Gibbs and Gruden. For what it's worth only the great ones can consider this. Vermeil won a SB when he returned. Gibbs struggled and Gruden is an unknown at this point. While unimpressive so far, the Raiders are trending upwards. I never thought Gruden was an incredibly impressive coach to begin with though.

Cowher is almost 60 games over .500. Gruden was pretty much a .500 ball coach that took over another guy's SB contender.

20. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If we hire Cowher, I'll get behind it and hope for the best; I have my reservations but nothing like when we hired Gase. And frankly, I have my reservations with any of the coaches on the market, so I'm not going to complain if it's Cowher. To put it another way, there's no Trevor Lawrence in this year's coaching market.

K'OB and Leicester Jet like this.