Better QB as a Jet Ken O'Brien vs. Chad Pennington

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HackettSuxTNG, Oct 22, 2010.

?

Who had a better career as a Jets QB?

1. Ken O'Brien

115 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. Chad Pennington

129 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. HackettSuxTNG

HackettSuxTNG Well-Known Member

I disagree with you. Klecko was a WAY better All-Around defender than Gastineau.

2. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Sometimes I think they help keep each other out, as in Klecko looked better because teams had to worry about Gastineau and vise versa. Given Gastineau's unpopularity and attitude, along with the way he left, I can see him being left out for the petty personal reasons the way a lot of guys in all sports are done by writers. There's no excuse for Klecko.

3. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I said they both belong, I never said that Gastineau was better than Klecko.

Given that they combined for 40+ sacks in one year on the same team they should have gone in together. That accomplishment probably won't be duplicated until they extend the season to 18 games.

4. Zcore

Zcore New Member

Both guys were Great for us...The poll is very close too...I picked Chad only because he is fresh in my head still, Fuck he was accurate. He just had no power...I would take Chad on my team regardless. Very smart good playaction. Sucks that he's on the damn Phins...he should be our backup

5. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Now I think you should make a poll to see how many of the 99 votes KOB has to date actually saw him play :jets:

6. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Next up.....Rick Mirer vs. Pat Ryan...BATTLE OF THE BACKUPS POLL!!!!!

7. championjets69

Lets not forget Lucas in that backup poll :jets:

8. Hemi

Hemi Well-Known Member

Ah yes, Lucas would have been a better choice.

9. Italian Seafood

I wouldn't be surprised to see him resurface next year, especially after a year off without another injury which he desperately needed. He's better than a lot of guys who are out there getting time this year, he's just in a situation where they have a good young guy where he is. Not sure how he would do but I wouldn't be surprised to see him playing.

10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

I would think that most people who voted for O'Brien saw both QBs in action. What would actually be interesting to know is how many of the Pennington voters were too young to see O'Brien play live.

11. championjets69

Doubtful that there is 100 members here that are in the 40/50s since JW coached in the 80s. As for the second part of your reply yes that would also be interesting :jets:

12. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

Minnesota is a likely place for Pennington

13. Italian Seafood

Yeah, they want to get younger. :smile:

Plus he was Moss' college QB, good call.

14. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

EXCELLENT bye week poll! Went with Chad, although I did have to give the question some thought.

15. ajax

ajax Well-Known Member

Klecko was a better all-around player but it's the big sack numbers which draw all the attention. Why it annoys me that there's zero NT in the HOF. People that don't watch the games just get wowed by the stats.

Klecko & Gastineau were a good combo though. The entire NY sack exchange was incredible to watch.

16. Italian Seafood

Football isn't really a stats game because there are so many moving parts all at once. It's not like baseball where a batter faces a pitcher and it's apples to apples. Gastineau's role was to go after the edge every time because of the other guys who played alongside him. Put him on a different team with different guys and who knows? Same for anyone.

17. jetmart

jetmart New Member

If Kenny played in the '00s and Chad played in the '80s/'90s, I'm pretty sure Kenny would have fared better and may have got the Jets deeper into the playoffs.

However, that is a moot point. I'm delighted with the current team and Sanchez's play for a 2nd year.

18. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

Is this really an argument? O'brien by 3 miles on a bad day. You guys are nuts. If O'brien ever had an Oline he would have been absolutely great. Got sacked 5 times a fuckin game. Not even close

19. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

O'Brien was good for less than 2 seasons. He was otherwise thoroughly mediocre.
    Also, he was responsible for many of the sacks. He was a statue in the pocket, was too scared of throwing an interception, and did not like to throw the ball out of bounds because it would hurt his passer rating.

20. sg3

sg3 Banned

neither

O'Brien's best season, he had to be benched and replaced by Ryan in order for the Jets to win a playoff game

Limp Armington was probably better although unable to throw a pass more than 12 yards without it ending up in the arms of Asante Samuel

thank god for the Sanchize