Best QBs Available?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by heartpumpsgreen, Sep 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

2. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Henne's retirement announcement last year looks like he was pretty content; probably enough to have no reason to have kept in football condition. On the other hand if you're looking for someone who won't challenge Wilson, he may be your guy.

3. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

He wouldn't challenge Boyle.

4. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

I want Jet nemesis Gardner Minshew

5. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

So.....My thinking is that we're going to roll with Zach as he is the #2 pick and JD's choice as the future of our franchise. There's simply no other option out there at this time that has the HOF/Pro Bowl credentials to change that dynamic. We do need another QB but we don't need a veteran as Rodgers is still available in the facility and even on the sidelines as a super coach.

So as I don't want to give up draft capital and am Ideally looking for a young guy who could also benefit from Coach Rodgers in their ear - Why not Tommy DeVito (Giants PS)?

Disclaimer: Now I don't watch College football and skip over most pre-season action but I did watch the snoopybowl and to my eye at least - He looked decent.

Thoughts?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

IDK if he's available, but I think he would be worth considering. That said, he's going to make a lot of mistakes if he plays like he did in the Snoopy Bowl, and keep in mind he wasn't playing against the Jets 1s for the most part. But I like how dynamic he is and and gutsy - sort of like how Zach was before he got that beat out of him the first two years. Still, I think the Jets will look to add a "safe" veteran.

7. kinggofg

kinggofg Active Member

What would you guys think about PJ Walker. Gets rid of the ball quick. Not old and washed up. Can run if he needs to. From NJ. Would be cheap. Has some experience. Available.

Wouldn't be a splashy hire but would get the job done of being a backup.

8. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

The Tanzel Smart of quarterbacks.

Nyjets4eva likes this.
  9. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Henne led his team to a playoff win in 2023!
    What exactly has Boyle or Wilson done but suck?
    Just an endless sea of bad takes.

#169 BacktoQueens, Sep 14, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2023
  10. BacktoQueens

We shouldn’t be looking for anyone based on the criteria of not challenging for playing time.
    We’ve already had Flacco for that, which was a fail in approach.

In terms of retirement, that’s why I posed the question as to whether Henne would want to be in a situation with a high likelihood of playing at some point.
    The Jets have reached out, presumably with the same question.

They have to get someone in here that could potentially provide a season saving spark if needed.
    If it’s Flacco again to ensure we don’t have an option, they should be fired.
    There is a season still to be played, and you don’t want the players feeling hung out to dry.
    Owe them that much.

11. bicketybam

He's attempting 79 passes in the last 7 season. And he's perennially sucked. Yeah, he's the guy. Holy shit.

12. bicketybam

I'd rather have Boyle throw passes than Henne. The guy sucks and always has. And he's barely played in 7 fucking years.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

our best options are likely one of the steelers QBs (trubisky or rudolph) or winston form the saints.

AtlantaJet likes this.
  14. bicketybam

What happened to all the guys that were swinging from Boyle's nuts in the preseason? I was told he can operate the offense. He moved it better than Wilson, etc. All of a sudden we want to drag a hasbeen out of retirement? This place can be so irrational. Boyle knows the system and according to most, he was better than Wilson in the preseason. Or did I miss something? The goal posts keep moving!

NY Jets68 likes this.
  15. BleedJetsGreen1981

BleedJetsGreen1981 Well-Known Member

It looks like the Jets are targeting quarterbacks who've had experience in Hackett's system. They tried to sign former Broncos QB Brett Rypien today but were blocked when the Rams signed him to their active roster. They previously reached out to Chad Henne who knows Hackett's system from their days in Jacksonville. It would be a much more seamless transition if they can sign someone who's familiar with Hackett like Josh Johnson or Blake Bortles.

bicketybam likes this.
  16. AtlantaJet

AtlantaJet Well-Known Member

I'd like to see a guy who potentially has a high ceiling and to sign him soon so he can learn the offense over the next few weeks. I think Mitch Trubisky might work well in this offense, or the one that might take it to a higher level being Phillip Rivers.(and no need to spend draft capital!). Hopefully Zach does well enough to keep winning. It is going to be tough to evaluate Zach based on the defenses he will face the first six weeks. Any QB (even Zach) is going to look much better based on the schedule after the bye.

17. BacktoQueens

Henne has come off the bench to lead multiple playoff wins recently, including one this calendar year.
    He also has a ton of starting experience.

But you’d rather have a perineal camp arm, practice squad level player with no meaningful experience at all. Can’t make this stuff up.

I’m not thumping for Henne mind you, but he’s one option for upgrade amongst the bad options we are left with by not bringing in any meaningful QB depth.
    We have to bring in a veteran capable of starting it needed, in the likely event we go down the same road as last year.
    That’s not Boyle. That should be painfully obvious.

18. BacktoQueens

You are definitely missing something.

19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

I don’t really get how they haven’t brought anyone in and the only report is a phone call to Chad Henne. Seems awfully short sighted to me.

20. bicketybam

Henne has played in two playoff games in his career. In 2020 he went 6/8 for 66 yards and an interception. Last year he went 5/7 for 23 yards and a TD. This is what your hanging your hat on? His career passing rating is 76.1. Hes thrown 61 passes in 7 years. And he's fucking retired! What in the world are you taking about?

HomeoftheJets likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.