Best QBs Available?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by heartpumpsgreen, Sep 11, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

So we have the Free Agents who once were someone - Brady, Foles, Wentz, Ryan, Flacco
    The FA's who've shown ability to play well in spots - Sieman & McCoy
    The current QB2's on teams that aren't going to compete this year and might be interested in any draft capital we send that way - Minshew & Keenum
    & finally the truly bizarro ones - Rivers, Luck & Newton

oh and let's not forget...................................................Colin Rand Kaepernick

2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Can you imagine if they signed Brady?

Brady and Rodgers both taking snaps for the same team over the course of 1 season, that would be something for the history books

3. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

If Carson Wentz isn't as big of a locker room cancer as I think, then he's the best option by far. Personality is the biggest question mark

Next best FA might be Colt McCoy, who can at least move... Yeesh...

#43 JetFanInPA, Sep 12, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2023
    JetFanInNE and Jets-N-Terps like this.
  4. Jets-N-Terps

Jets-N-Terps Well-Known Member

I agree. He's big, has a cannon for an arm, and he is probably desperate for a chance. Wentz would be cheap so we could still try to male a big move at or near the deadline. He will be more durable than Zach or Rogers and he won't be asked to put the team on his shoulders like he was in indy.

5. cval

cval Well-Known Member

Wentz the same guy that was kicked out of Indy and Philly and beat out by Taylor Heinicke? I like Andy Dalton or Colt McCoy type is Brisset available?

6. sozopol

sozopol Well-Known Member

We don’t need durable. We need mobile. Someone who can run for their lives. Who can run miles every week and occasionally toss one in the general direction of Garrett Wilson.

Also ideally someone who’s not a dick.

7. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

The sad truth is no one is going to trade their back-up QB this early in the season.

So at least for now, you can probably cross off names like Bridgewater, Minshew, Jameis, and Brissett.

If they add someone now IMO, it'll be Wentz, McCoy, or someone like that.

I'd go ahead and sign McCoy. As bad as Zach might be, I can't even imagine trotting Tim Boyle out there for any meaningful snaps. McCoy at least gives you a somewhat reliable back-up option in case something happens to Zach.

JetFanInNE likes this.
  8. eddie sec 126

eddie sec 126 Active Member

I was saying this during preseason. Wilson is not the answer. He scrambles backwards on alot of plays. He played against a first team d and looked bad. Will only get worse. Yet people though I was talking out my arse

Nyjets4eva and teamgreen like this.
  9. GreenGreek

GreenGreek Well-Known Member

If the Cardinals are in full on tank mode, Murray could be an interesting name. I generally agree though. Unless we're overpaying, nobody is trading you a QB (starting or backup) now. If you go with the vet street FA + Wilson route for now, does trading for a QB half way through the season to pick up a new offense on the fly make us any better? Hackett doesn't have history with any good QBs outside of Rodgers. Outside of Rodgers, Bortles probably had the more success than any other QB under Hackett. There's nobody that can come in seamlessly.

HomeoftheJets and KY Jets Fan like this.
  10. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

He would of beat NE first game if not for that bogus penalty on the INT return he played very well up to that point. He unraveled after that when he began pressing and threw a couple of silly picks when he was really trying to throw out of bounds. That being said Jets defense will have to carry the team for the foreseeable future ….. overall the team is better than last year. They are gonna bring another QB in question is who.

11. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

It's a good thought but I think Kyler would cost too much via trade and we're already short draft capital due to the Rodgers trade.

If we go the trade route, I expect it to be one of the names mentioned because you can probably get them for a Day 3 pick, which isn't the end of the world.

Sadly enough, my mind has already reverted back to "draft another QB mode". Seems likely we'll have our 1st rounder now this year and the QB class this year looks incredible on paper.

12. mrjet80

I agree but don’t see the 49ers moving him - they have a championship in mind also. I don’t see them moving their top back-up at this point and they already traded Lance away.

Jets81 likes this.
  13. BrowningNagle

Damn we shoulda made that Trey Lance move

14. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

If the Giants keep playing like they did this weekend Daniel Jones might be available before the trade deadline..

cval likes this.
  15. mrjet80

To be honest I wasn’t a fan of Lance I was just emphasizing Darnold is now #2 for SF. I would take Darnold over Lance.

But ….. what about a guy like Cooper Rush?

Jets OG fan and mezzavo like this.
  16. Gremlin

Gremlin Well-Known Member

I agree that a lot of teams won't trade out their back-up this early in the season but there are a few franchises that know in their hearts that they aren't going to the Superbowl this year.

I'd put the Colts in that bracket and I think they'd be willing to consider gaining draft capital to aid their rebuild around Richardson.

Unlike Keenum, his role wasn't to be the seasoned vet that the rookie could look to. It was to compete with him and make him work for the QB1 role which Richardson won.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  17. mezzavo

mezzavo Well-Known Member

I forgot about Cooper Rush. Right now the ONLY QB's this team should be looking at are the aforementioned Rush, Wentz and McCoy. I can't believe some of you are actually floating Darnold's name. San Francisco just got rid of Lance! Like they are going to shoot themselves in the foot to move Darnold. As well, if I were Darnold, I wouldn't touch NY with a million foot pole. None of the other names inspire dread let alone confidence.

This season is done if enough of the light bulb hasn't come on for Wilson. We all need to come to grips with that right now. Heck, after what I saw Dallas do to the Giants, I'm not so certain Wilson makes it out of next week. The Cowboys are going to ROLL us. Period. I'd be willing to bet that the Dallas D puts up 14 points all by themselves.

Right now, with what we've seen so far, the ONLY game I see left on the schedule that we should win is against the Texans and even that is debatable. With Wilson under center the Broncos, Raiders and Falcons are toss ups. We could easily end this season with 2 or 3 wins which, of course, ensures we do NOT get one of the supposed top 2 QB's in next year's draft.

18. Jets4eva9011

Jets4eva9011 Well-Known Member

Jets defense and other offensive weapons won't be anywhere near bad enough to finish with 2-3 wins.

mrjet80 likes this.
  19. BrowningNagle

you got to at least make the phone call to Brady.

20. mrjet80

No way - I understand it doesn’t look good and the shock is still there but this team even with Zach from last year is an 8 win team. Too much talent and Saleh seems to understand how to come up with a last minute game plan in an emergency such as last night. But this team does need another QB and I would really like to see what Cooper Rush can do for this team. I’m sure JD has already been on the phone all night and this morning looking for somebody.

No Darnold probably wouldn’t come ….I was just saying I think he would be what this team is looking for at this time. He seems to have matured and doesn’t have to try to carry the team as he did when he was here with less talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.